Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is in service now and they replaced the emmc daughter board and they are now telling me its the FPGA that is bad and I will need to pay $1100 to fix it. First they told me it was covered under the warranty recall and now its not. Anyone else seeing this type of behavior?
EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME. Replaced daughter board emmc in October, a few weeks later the screen stopped working entirely. Went into tesla and they said it's the DPGA and unrelated to the recall and I have to pay $1500 out of pocket. This can't be a coincidence.

Hi all.

New poster, but i thought i would share my experience to see if anyone has had the same issues. I have had the typical blank screen, multiple things going out in the car problems as most here. I have also had many many techs look at the car. I just came back from a service visit and they told me that my mcu is in fact dying. What they recommend is an upgrade to the lastest hardware, which would cost 2000 out of pocket. My car however is still under warranty, and theyre saying that tesla will not pay to fix any of it because the screen is not consistently blank. Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, what did you do?

• Informative
Reactions: gmo43
What's a fpga or dpga?
A field programmable gate array (FPGA) is a type of processor that can have its instruction set reprogrammed as opposed to a CPU which has a fixed instruction set.

Bummer for anyone that paid to replace one on MCU1 or reflash one (like me) because it probably didn’t help and isn’t likely to be reimbursable.

Reactions: c0smicdirt
Hi all.

... i thought i would share my experience to see if anyone has had the same issues. ...anyone had a similar experience, and if so, what did you do?
Yes, this is the thread for you. The eMMC (Memory) chip is likely causing you those issues. You can suffer with rebooting until it fails and then Tesla will replace it. You will then get to continue with a slow but non crashing experience. Or you can pay the $2000 to upgrade, lose AM radio and have a speedy experience as well as new features like Netflix and better games.

The upgrade also allows AP2 or greater cars to view sentry and dashcam events.

There is a slim chance that Full Self Driving (FSD) cars will eventually get MCU2 for free. The argument goes that the visualizations in the instrument cluster are required for FSD. Personally I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
Yes, this is the thread for you. The eMMC (Memory) chip is likely causing you those issues. You can suffer with rebooting until it fails and then Tesla will replace it. You will then get to continue with a slow but non crashing experience. Or you can pay the $2000 to upgrade, lose AM radio and have a speedy experience as well as new features like Netflix and better games.

The upgrade also allows AP2 or greater cars to view sentry and dashcam events.

There is a slim chance that Full Self Driving (FSD) cars will eventually get MCU2 for free. The argument goes that the visualizations in the instrument cluster are required for FSD. Personally I doubt it.
Wait... it is now recall on EMMC isn’t it, not warranty? So why does someone have to wait til it fails?

1) I don't think the recall has officially started yet.
2) Limited parts availability so they are prioritizing failures.
I believe it has started. On my service invoice for my Infotainment MCU2 upgrade this week one of the line items says "Replace VCM To Upgrade 8GB eMMC
Correction: SB-21-21-001 Not Applicable; Vehicle Without Applicable Infotainment System"

Of course this just might be a way for Tesla to subtract my car from their database as needing a recall so it show to the NHTSA that they are progressing by having fewer open recalls.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I believe it has started.

From NHTSA:

Owners should ensure their vehicles are operating firmware release 2020.48.48.12 or newer, which will alert owners if the eMMC is approaching lifetime wear. Tesla will notify owners, and will replace the VCM daughterboard with one containing an enhanced eMMC controller, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 30, 2021. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752. Tesla's number for this recall is SB-21-21-001

I never had an alert either, but when I was in for service last week I asked them to check the emmc.
This is what the service order says:
Performed autodiag on MCU. Daughterboard should be replaced proactively

Replace VCM To Upgrade 8GB eMMC
Payment: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

so you still have 4 year warranty?- what is your car?
This thread needs a wiki... wait! As I recall, first Tesla step in addressing issue was $600 daughterboard replacement. Second was extending EMMC warranty to 8 years. Third was recall, effectively including cars beyond 8 years. Interspersed in there were software changes to reduce emmc flogging and self diagnose impending failure.

so, 4 year warranty hasn’t been relevant for a while.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Never got the alert and I had a later version of the firmware. My MCU was seriously glitchy. I think that happens only after it reaches lifetime wear :(.
Life sure would be simple if emmc replacement fixed all MCU glitches, but there’s plenty of evidence it does not. Even my 3s have occasional ones, and so does my S post daughterboard replacement. Emmc has become lightning rod... but I’m inclined to believe techs if/when they say emmc not cause of someone’s MCU glitches.

for example, Bluetooth connection issues could cause a spate of symptoms. As could gsm issues. Etc.

This thread needs a wiki... wait! As I recall, first Tesla step in addressing issue was $600 daughterboard replacement. Second was extending EMMC warranty to 8 years. Third was recall, effectively including cars beyond 8 years. Interspersed in there were software changes to reduce emmc flogging and self diagnose impending failure.

so, 4 year warranty hasn’t been relevant for a while.
I am aware of the history, and actually the first step long before the daughterboard replacement to address the issue was needing to buy a new MCU for $2500, then it was 1800, then 1300, and only then, many months later a daughterboard replacement was an option. I have had a 64GB eMMC for over a year now.

What I was referring to was this specific wording: Payment: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. which implies the 4 year warranty. An older quote might state extended warranty, (which was only good to 100,000 miles also), and yes that doesn't apply anymore because Tesla has now deemed it as a voluntarily recall situation, and since Tesla didn't write "recall warranty" on the service order, I thought maybe it was a 2017 car, or yes as vickh suggests perhaps a CPO with a 4 year warranty.

Life sure would be simple if emmc replacement fixed all MCU glitches, but there’s plenty of evidence it does not. Even my 3s have occasional ones, and so does my S post daughterboard replacement. Emmc has become lightning rod... but I’m inclined to believe techs if/when they say emmc not cause of someone’s MCU glitches.

for example, Bluetooth connection issues could cause a spate of symptoms. As could gsm issues. Etc.

It can be challenging to seperate between programing "bugs" from different versions vs eMMC related issues. One way to help is if the issue is mass reported for a issue on a specific version. There are many "bugs" that can have effects that are very similar to eMMC signs of failure.