Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I replace the eMMC from someone non-Tesla, the certificates could be an issue? Can tesla know it’s been replaced by someone else and give me problems essentially?

Because I was debating to go to Boston’s electrified garage to have it replaced with a new 16g for around $1800 - rather than spending nearly the same or more for an 8gb refurbished one through Tesla.

So if I replace the eMMC from someone non-Tesla, the certificates could be an issue? Can tesla know it’s been replaced by someone else and give me problems essentially?

Because I was debating to go to Boston’s electrified garage to have it replaced with a new 16g for around $1800 - rather than spending nearly the same or more for an 8gb refurbished one through Tesla.

They should be using your certificates from your eMMC. In the event you dont have your certificates you would not have phone application connectivity back to Tesla. You will need to talk to Rich and see what they do in that event.

Reactions: IdaX

Tesla supplies a refurbished mcu, but with a new eMMC, yes?

$1600 is a lot from for a third party to ask when Tesla is now charging $1300 with warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: agloutney
Tesla supplies a refurbished mcu, but with a new eMMC, yes?

$1600 is a lot from for a third party to ask when Tesla is now charging $1300 with warranty.

And with Tesla you would get a new screen and possibly an upgrade to LTE included. So if you are still on 3G and/or have a screen that is "bubbling" it might make more sense to go with Tesla. (No to mention the 4-year unlimited mileage warranty.)

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
And with Tesla you would get a new screen and possibly an upgrade to LTE included. So if you are still on 3G and/or have a screen that is "bubbling" it might make more sense to go with Tesla. (No to mention the 4-year unlimited mileage warranty.)

Doesn't make sense to go with Tesla for just 3g to 4g upgrade though. The 4G parts are just around $100 mark, and can be upgraded while fixing MCU with none to minimal additional labor. It is still way cheaper to do it externally. Bubbling- yes, agree with your assessment.

Doesn't make sense to go with Tesla for just 3g to 4g upgrade though. The 4G parts are just around $100 mark, and can be upgraded while fixing MCU with none to minimal additional labor. It is still way cheaper to do it externally.

It depends on who you are going with externally. The poster asking the question quoted an external cost of $1,600. Which with labor and taxes is about the same as what Tesla charges and Tesla then warranties the entire MCU. (Their site says for 4 years, but some people say that the SC tells them 1 year.)

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
So I have LTE, that why I’m debating if it’s worth going through a 3rd party.

From electrified garage, I was quoted $1500 for eMMC plus $300 installation. And optional $300 for remote access.

For that price (and the added inconvenience of going up to Boston for 2 days for the swap), why not just wait for a failure? I guess I should just go to my local SC and asked what the going rate is for replacement?

The local SC location (Syosset, NY) has actually been pretty good. Few mishaps but they always made it right.

Recently some people have gotten quotes for about 1300. For that the price is great if you need a new screen, since a replacement screen alone is $1200 last time I purchased one. Not sure if it still cost that much. AFAIK the refurb MCU comes with New Screen, LTE, and a new 8 Gig emmc as far as I can tell. Our chip is still 4x bigger so it should last at least 4x as long under same conditions.

When people mention they want screen we also let them know SC may be around same price with new screen. However I have had customers insist they do a eMMC upgrade and get a new screen from Tesla. So we can accommodate special requests.

Why is no one talking about some kind of legal action against Tesla on this? The MCU is virtually guaranteed to fail and it's the direct result of a design issue. And, it's a safety issue as it can occur while driving which is a major distraction for the driver.

Why is no one talking about some kind of legal action against Tesla on this? The MCU is virtually guaranteed to fail and it's the direct result of a design issue. And, it's a safety issue as it can occur while driving which is a major distraction for the driver.
Wow. A part on a car wears out. That’s a new thing without precedent! Every part failure is ultimately the result of a design issue. Everything should last forever. The big, bad manufacturer should pay for everything forever, amen.

If you can find a lawyer, good luck with your case! Especially in view of fact Tesla will repair for free under warranty, or for ~$1500 out of warranty, and there are even cheaper 3rd party options.

overall, maintenance and repair costs for the average Tesla are tiny vs ICE cars. I remember taking in BMWs and never escaping without a near four figure invoice.

I’m potentially affected by this on my 2012 S. Hoping it fails in the remaining year of warranty so I get it for $200, but if I have to pay $1500 or $1300 in a couple of years, it’s not going to cause me any angst.