Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my eMMC flash replaced this weekend with the help of @appleguru If you are in the east coast and looking for someone to replace your eMMC flash, reach out to @appleguru He is very knowledgable and has done many replacements already. It will take ~3-4 hours but well worth it. I guess I got so used to the slow MCU I forgot how fast it can be. I can honestly say my MCU is just as fast, if not faster, than when I first took delivery.

I was considering paying Tesla ~$1600 to replace the MCU but decided not to as the replacement is a refurbished unit. Based on what I've read, the eMMC has a finite amount of cycles it can go through before completely failing. A replacement unit could have already had cycles used... meaning it might not last the same amount of time as when you first took delivery. The eMMC size that @appleguru gave me is also double the size of the one Tesla provides, which makes it last longer.

Thanks @EV-Fixme as well for referring me. If you are looking for someone in the west coast DM @EV-Fixme

Figured I would wait a little while before posting on this thread. I had my emmc replaced about a month and half ago and its working great. Only downside was losing my trips counter. So good work by ev-fixme
Yeah, I lost my lifetime trip counter on the eMMC upgrade as well. Small price to pay for snappier MCU performance and to never have to worry about this issue killing my MCU again.

Correct

Yes

Yes, you have saved at least $1000, and the MCU will keep functioning as it did when new, but for 4-8 times as long as if you got the service centre to do it.

Kind of sounds like a no brainer to me.
It does, if I’d kept up with forums. Mine completely failed, not even able to charge the car. So my car sits at the SC waiting for refurbished screen, ugh

Was that a bean counter decision, or bad engineering design? I need my pitchfork seen !

The tegras are made by nvidia afaik, so likely a standard part with 8GB flash. Still inexcusable for Tesla not to spec a larger/better part (SLC, or at least MLC in pSLC mode) especially now that they are refurbishing them and they know they don’t last.... they have made some improvements recently at least on the SW side.

Reactions: El3ktrk
The tegras are made by nvidia afaik, so likely a standard part with 8GB flash. Still inexcusable for Tesla not to spec a larger/better part (SLC, or at least MLC in pSLC mode) especially now that they are refurbishing them and they know they don’t last.... they have made some improvements recently at least on the SW side.
Tegra and emmc are two different chips. Tesla designed and makes the modules AFAIK, not nvidia (they look similar to the Nvidia VCM module, but at according to hackers who have compared them and reported that the connector is not even the same, so Tesla redesigned it).

well I am looking forward to getting both my cars upgraded by @EV-Fixme to prevent this from happening again, just a matter of timing and logistics now.
I was in the same boat as you last year. I
2013 MS P85+ 105k miles, MCU went out, anyone who replaces those besides Tesla for 1600.00 in the Houston TX area?
At this time they are only upgrading AP 2 and newer to get MCU 2. Eventually, from what I understand we can upgrade to MCU 2. It might be a year or longer away. I'm still waiting to get mine replaced. I also have 2013 Model S.

Likely not but it varies by service center. Also, at most you need a working MCU to upgrade.

It is not available in any service center. And I don't see any reason to need a working MCU for MCU2 upgrade.

I can't see it either. I am sure there will be quite a few AP1 vehicles that have black MCU's from people holding out for an MCU2 upgrade when the time comes. If the service centres say "no, we need a working MCU1" and expect you to first get an MCU1 for $1800, and then sign up for $2500 upgrade to then have it promptly removed, crap will hit the fan.

Anyone know if MCU2 is available for model S my2013?
I have 2014 S, it is currently at SC getting the MCU replace due to it failing. The pic I included was from the convo with the Tesla rep

Attachments

• 3AF0D2FA-5F54-4D49-AFD4-92A0A4082D3C.jpeg
    3AF0D2FA-5F54-4D49-AFD4-92A0A4082D3C.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 98