Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Solarman004,
And don't forget to cover your MCU and dash chrome trim with blue painter's tape to protect it. Sure as not, it gets bumped and dented. Worth the 3 minutes it takes.

Just so you know, there's other sources. These guys make a great battery. Free shipping too. https://www.ohmmu.com/
Already done on the tape. I did that before removal. It's a good tip .
I looked at ohmmu but decided not to go with the Li-ion due to price. On Amazon there were also mixed reviews about the battery not fitting in the MX battery pan. Tesla price for the OEM lead-acid AGM battery is only $165 plus tax.

Reactions: Akikiki
A couple of days later, I was offered an MCU2 at a discount (10%) if I wished to upgrade....so they must now be available for AP1 vehicles.

I was told it has an upgraded chip, same as @Nogizaka. I'm not sure what that entails.

All in all, I was treated really well by the Mississauga SC team. Unlike some of the horror stories I read on this site about bad experiences with service, I have always had good luck at this locale. ...and most importantly: they communicated with me.

@dms-Orangeville, thanks. Good report. Can you share with me your mileage, please?

Refer upgraded chip. Yes, I know what it means. It is much better. Glad they are getting out in the supply system now.

Yes, very good service. We too here have a great SC. Always, always on top of things, great work, great communications, smart and talented staff. We are lucky and we know it. We often take them donuts. They earned it.

Already done on the tape. I did that before removal. It's a good tip .
I looked at ohmmu but decided not to go with the Li-ion due to price. On Amazon there were also mixed reviews about the battery not fitting in the MX battery pan. Tesla price for the OEM lead-acid AGM battery is only $165 plus tax.
I figured you had already done the tape thing. But it was actually mean more for those that come after us doing the same thing. So, I think it helps to say again.

Don't forget to use painter's tape on the dash and MCUI chrome trim to protect it when you are working. You didn't need it but others do. :) Thanks for allowing me to use your post as a platform. :)

@dms-Orangeville, thanks. Good report. Can you share with me your mileage, please?

Refer upgraded chip. Yes, I know what it means. It is much better. Glad they are getting out in the supply system now.

Yes, very good service. We too here have a great SC. Always, always on top of things, great work, great communications, smart and talented staff. We are lucky and we know it. We often take them donuts. They earned it.
134,800 KM, or 83760 miles on the car

and.....
Every year, before Christmas, the Tesla Owner's Club of Ontario buys pizza for the SC in Toronto, Mississauga, Oakville, and Kitchener. Next year we'll make sure we include Ottawa.

• Love
Reactions: whitex and Akikiki
Just wanted to add some information -- My MCU is going out and Tesla can no longer connect to it for diagnostics, rebooting often...etc. Was told by service rep a similar story as a few others that there is a new larger emmc being used in the new REMAN units that fixes this for good, suggesting upgraded "hardware inside".

MCU,MDLSX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN
Part #: 1098010-99-H
Order Date: July 17, 2020

I just succumbed to "I might as well..." syndrome. Tony's almost done with my eMMC chip, and here I am with a naked frunk and disconnected 12V battery. So I say to myself, "might as well preemptively replace this 4 year old, 57,000 mile original 12 V battery. Of course, you can't find the AtlasBX battery for the MX at any auto parts store. But they do have them in stock at Denver-Littleton. Picking it up next week. I'm going to get a battery health test on the original, then keep it charged as an emergency spare. I'm still getting used to owning a car that requires a trip to the "dealer" for battery and windshield wipers. :) Good thing I love this car.
By the way, I now have a full set of trim removal tools and inflatable wedges, and already had the full Torx set, to perform the MCU removal. If anyone in the Colorado Springs to Denver area would like to borrow them, PM me.

Otherwise known as preventative maintenance

Reactions: Hank42
My 2015 85D has been parked in the garage at our other house for a few weeks. I took an update remotely and haven’t been able to connect to it soon after that, about 2 weeks now. I’m afraid I’m going to have a dead MCU when I finally get back. Thoughts?

Either that or you now have a dead 12v battery. (A number of people had the 12v battery die when they did a remote upgrade after the car was sitting for a long time.)

Either that or you now have a dead 12v battery. (A number of people had the 12v battery die when they did a remote upgrade after the car was sitting for a long time.)
Hmmm might be 12v although it was just replaced a few months ago. Either way I’ll find out sometime this week when I go back for a few days. Hopefully it’s continued to charge ok.

Just wanted to give some info on my car. I just lost the mcu on a 2015 s 85. millage was 50,206 miles. I was just told I can get mcu 2 for 2500 as I have ap1 and the powered lift gate. that is a requirement for the mcu2 it seems. but just wanted to let every one know.

interesting that MCU2 doesn't yet support the manual liftgate, that could explain why some people can upgrade and others can't yet.

interesting that MCU2 doesn't yet support the manual liftgate, that could explain why some people can upgrade and others can't yet.

Seems like an odd restriction. Of all the options the cars had, why would the lack of a powered liftgate make the MCU different? i could understand if there were a different version if the car had the enhanced audio (bigger amplifier and more functions), or air suspension (several additional controls and different displays) or maybe even whether or not it had the older vs newer version of Tire Pressure Monitoring or parking sensors. But a liftgate? The MCU evidently has the logic and the electrical connections for the powered one, but the lack of a powered one must somehow require something physically different, like a wiring harness. Just seems odd!