Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant cracking sound in speakers; sporadic loss of audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add me to the list. 2019 Tesla Model S Raven. I'm not getting the static (yet?), but I'm getting the one second pauses when listening to music from my USB stick, when the car is reading a text message, or if I'm talking on the phone via Bluetooth. It seems to happen randomly every 1-3 minutes, but I can't tie anything else to the cause of the skips. I have had this car for about a year and a half and never had a problem until a few weeks ago. This has to be something Tesla induced. Service request is going to be submitted.

I had the same problem for months. I brought it to the same service center 3 times, and I heard all the excuses from software update to "my ears are the problem". Last month, a new service center opened in my area, and I figured I try my luck. Thank god I did because that service team found the problem and replaced two parts, atom-based MCU and Tuner AM/FM/Satellite Radio (NA Premium Audio). The replacement fixed 99% of the audio issue. It only cracks slightly when I abuse the volume up and down. The lead technician said the hardware was broken and had to be replace. Good luck all!

I've had this problem in my 2013 S ever since the first day of the MCU2 upgrade, but it has gotten progressively worse. At first it was mainly the FM radio and only when I adjusted the volume or turned on the rear camera. Bluetooth phone calls were bad but still usable. Now, FM radio and Bluetooth are essentially unusable. Since the latest firmware update a few days ago, now even Spotify glitches. This is new. Also, the turn signal sound is sometimes delayed.

Question for the rest of you: do you have the FM tuner? I'm thinking of having them take mine out to see if it helps.

Tesla told me in July that they were aware of the problem and it would be fixed OTA. Ok, fine, but here we are in February and they just today told me exactly the same thing. I don't get the feeling they are ever going to fix it. I think they are just telling us these things to wait us out.
I don’t have the tuner and all streaming and Bluetooth audio glitches for me. I have a 2018 S with an upgraded mcu.

Model S, 75d, MCU2 upgrade.
This problem started in the 2023.2.x release cycle for me and only happens when im driving the car. Tried to isolate the issue if it was transport related or actually audio rendering. Using my iphone hotspot wifi to tesla, same problem.
I hear it worst using handsfree, but spotify, usb etc also pops and smacks all over..

lol, i've been reporting this bug to tesla but no fix still.
all they msg me is to have you tried wheel scroll reset.
reseting more than 5 times a month wow, sounds like lemon
I even wonder if tesla and Elon look at this form at all

Reactions: Ron Burgundy