Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blueprint for a Safer Economy - Coronavirus COVID-19 Response

Edit: Edited the link to jump straight to the data

thanks! Unfortunately too many cases of widespread coverage especially in the SF Bay area. Depressing actually.

If you are looking for a hair salon, saw this in the Q&A section:
“As of August 31, 2020, counties in the Widespread (purple) tier may open some businesses and activities with modifications, including all retail, shopping centers at maximum 25% capacity, and hair salons and barbershops indoors.”

This Deadline article is related to movie theaters opening:
https://deadline.com/2020/08/new-california-coronavirus-guidelines-allow-some-ca-movie-theaters-to-reopen-1203026184

I was going to say that maybe the first specimen was a false positive due to a lab mixup but I guess they saved it and did a DNA test to make sure it was taken from the same person. That leaves only the possibility of contamination of the sample which seems much less likely.
Anyway, it sounds like this is probably consistent with other coronaviruses.

Researchers at University of Alberta are trying an antiviral developed for a cat coronavirus on SARS-CoV-2. You'd think someone would have tried this before oleandrin...
Antiviral used to treat cat coronavirus also works against SARS-CoV-2: U of A researchers

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
  • Funny
Reactions: madodel
University of Alabama has 1,200 students who have tested positive for Covid-19 - CNN

Herd immunity by the end of the first semester? There are ~70k students in the UA system. 1.7% so far.

School reopening is going to go so well. Should be exciting. I haven’t been keeping track of who is going to try it.
Just proves that lockdowns don't work.
Bars in Alabama aren't even allowed to serve alcohol after 11pm. We've given in to fascism and people are still getting COVID.

The good news is that no student has been hospitalized yet! Suggests to me their infection ascertainment rate is quite high, which is good.
Total hospitalizations for the US for 18-29 year olds has been 67 per 100,000. If we assume 10% of that population has been infected nationwide then the hospitalization rate is only 0.7%.
COVIDView, Key Updates for Week 33
It seems like the 70 year old professors are the ones that should be really worried. I suspect that the hospitalization rate for them is more than 5%.

Total hospitalizations for the US for 18-29 year olds has been 67 per 100,000. If we assume 10% of that population has been infected nationwide then the hospitalization rate is only 0.7%.
COVIDView, Key Updates for Week 33
It seems like the 70 year old professors are the ones that should be really worried. I suspect that the hospitalization rate for them is more than 5%.

Yep. It sounds like the cool kids in this field actually just monitor the effluent from each dorm and frat/sorority house, and use that to determine when they’ve got a problem. Seems like that could work for normal schools as well. Just shut the place down when they get a hit and test everyone. This is in addition to testing everyone at least once a week of course. Who knew this reopening would be so easy?

Reactions: madodel
upload_2020-8-30_10-48-10.png

https://twitter.com/tlowdon/status/1299736519184232449?s=20

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-30_10-46-35.png
    upload_2020-8-30_10-46-35.png
    485 KB · Views: 43
Sigh.
You see people in the comments saying "Does this mean the actual number of cases is lower?"
No, the headline should read "Coronavirus tests are often positive long after the infectious period."
It sounds like Elon did not read the article. It also sounds like he's confusing antigen tests, which have true false positives, with PCR tests. And really he should be using this is an opportunity to explain Bayes theorem to his readers. If you have 1% false positive rate (99% specificity) but a prevalence of only 1% then 50% of your positive results will be false positives! This doesn't make the test useless, those employees can just stay home until they get a negative test.