Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CDC updates Covid-19 testing guidelines for aysmptomatic people - CNN

"(CNN)The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's website has updated, yet again, guidelines for testing people who do not have symptoms of coronavirus.
The new language rolls back controversial changes made to the site last month. It once again stresses that anyone who has been in contact with an infected person should be tested for coronavirus.
"Due to the significance of asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, this guidance further reinforces the need to test asymptomatic persons, including close contacts of a person with documented SARS-CoV-2 infection," it says, calling the change a clarification."
Nice to see CDC scientists updating the website instead of Caputo.

I eat meat and plants in moderation. Fit as a fiddle and haven't gotten COVID yet.
We've hit 200k (official) deaths today.

Also, a thread about flying & the risks. I guess I'd have to consider whether I would want to use my full respirator or whether I would go with a KN95 or proper medical grade N95 (if available) if I flew. The respirator is kind of inconvenient. But overall flying when people are masked seems safer than one might think. Though not actually particularly safe. At least there is pre-screening, etc.

Thread by @AbraarKaran on Thread Reader App
I would just wear a P100 full face respirator the entire time I was in the airport and on the plane and not worry about it. It's not that hard to go 12 hours without eating or drinking (Muslims do it for a month every year!).

It's not that hard to go 12 hours without eating or drinking (Muslims do it for a month every year!).

Yeah, I heard somewhere, but I can’t remember where, that ketosis can be good.

Yeah, I guess I would wear my P100 with the surgical strapped over it. Otherwise why do I have it, and I do wear it to the grocery store (may be more dangerous than a plane, depending on the store...but probably not).

When I went to get my Kenalog injection they made me take off the respirator plus surgical and just wear a surgical. Wonder if I had shown up with an N95 medical grade whether that would be ok. In future I will just wear surgical plus goggles plus face shield for such things. Very quiet in the building so I don’t have much concern anyway. Only in enclosed space with three people (medical workers, likely with higher than average exposure risk).

just screenshotting for posterity

upload_2020-9-19_21-3-44.png

upload_2020-9-19_21-5-27.png

Reactions: scottf200
I'm happy that the testing numbers went over 1 million per day, but the incredible apathy in regards to this pandemic is revolting. Pretty much have convinced my miserable self that we're gonna be screwed in about 5-6 weeks unless those antigen tests & all the required support come online right away.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Far enough back for significant evolutionary changes to our digestive systems to have happened. Homo Sapiens dates back to at least 200K years ago I believe, other Homo species go back even further.

Those changes are always happening. It's why most people with european ancestry can still digest lactose (milk products) into adulthood but almost all others cannot.

That change, among others, is far less than 200k years old.

• Informative
Reactions: dfwatt and jerry33
Well it's 2 weeks+ since the end of Labor Day. If I don't see major bump in deaths in NJ by this time next week I'll feel pretty ok. Hard to trust case counts, but easy to see excess deaths. Maybe 2 more weeks.

NJ was an absolute Trumper shitshow Labor Day weekend. Zero precautions, massive gatherings.

Those changes are always happening. It's why most people with european ancestry can still digest lactose (milk products) into adulthood but almost all others cannot.

That change, among others, is far less than 200k years old.
As I understand it that is more a result of continuing to drink milk into adulthood. I mean if you take a non-European baby and continue to give it milk until adulthood does it still become lactose intolerant? Obviously they aren't lactose intolerant as babies.

As I understand it that is more a result of continuing to drink milk into adulthood. I mean if you take a non-European baby and continue to give it milk until adulthood does it still become lactose intolerant? Obviously they aren't lactose intolerant as babies.

Somewhat correct. A large portion of non-European babies if fed milk into adulthood still become lactose intolerant (Asians are notorious for it).

Basically, pretty much all babies can digest lactose. But Europeans have a gene that allows them to keep that other gene (lactase) on throughout their lives.

Basically, milk was so prevalent that Europeans evolved the ability to keep the lactase gene turned on into adulthood. Most other humans do not have this ability, even if continually exposed to lactose.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and JRP3
If I don't see major bump in deaths in NJ by this time next week I'll feel pretty ok. Hard to trust case counts, but easy to see excess deaths. Maybe 2 more weeks.

NJ was an absolute Trumper shitshow Labor Day weekend. Zero precautions, massive gatherings.

I take it you mean you will feel ok about Labor Day impact, not that you feel ok about the general situation?

It really does appear that massive gatherings outside are mostly ok! Not that transmission cannot occur, but it appears to be low enough to not have sustained exponential growth. It even appears that public restrooms cannot possibly be super spreader locations (though transmission presumably occurs).

It’s the indoor gatherings when it gets colder that you are going to have to worry about.

That’s when the sh**show pidgeons will come home to roost.

The pidgeons are going to be emboldened by their ability to party with impunity in the summer, and will use that to support some larger gatherings inside in the next couple months. Need to start planning for the Halloween haunted houses and house parties.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
Somewhat correct. A large portion of non-European babies if fed milk into adulthood still become lactose intolerant (Asians are notorious for it).

Basically, pretty much all babies can digest lactose. But Europeans have a gene that allows them to keep that other gene (lactase) on throughout their lives.

Basically, milk was so prevalent that Europeans evolved the ability to keep the lactase gene turned on into adulthood. Most other humans do not have this ability, even if continually exposed to lactose.

It appears to have been a change as recently as 7,000 years ago. However I don't see a change in the ability to digest lactose as the same type of evolutionary change which would alter how the body produces and uses ketones. I assume all our ancestors would have needed to survive some periods of little to no food intake so I doubt that it's a relatively recent adaptation.

It appears to have been a change as recently as 7,000 years ago. However I don't see a change in the ability to digest lactose as the same type of evolutionary change which would alter how the body produces and uses ketones. I assume all our ancestors would have needed to survive some periods of little to no food intake so I doubt that it's a relatively recent adaptation.

It was an example of a recent change.

FYI, ketone metabolism is a VERY conserved mammalian metabolic pathway with many different inputs and outputs.

Lactose digestion is more of an end-point fuel (i.e. a simpler genetic change).

Reactions: dfwatt