Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But November is when it showed up there and when general population was going to the hospital. If it were September or early October then maybe a smoking gun.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
But November is when it showed up there and when general population was going to the hospital. If it were September or early October then maybe a smoking gun.
It's a little unclear when the real rush to the hospital began, exactly. But probably sometime in November.

Anyway, even if this were simply the common cold, as the article says, it's also fairly common to visit the hospital for cold symptoms in China. Just the way things work, and not particularly unusual.

We'll see on lab leak vs. not. This type of information doesn't seem too useful for determining whether it was, and I would guess would just tend to make China even more reluctant to cooperate. Still seems like the preponderance of the evidence suggests natural origin, in spite of there being more "acceptance" of the lab leak hypothesis at this point.

The virology doesn't strongly support a lab leak, still, from what I've read. I really have no idea, but if I had to bet, I'd still bet natural origin.

Agreed, if it was from the lab, we would have expected the staff and family members all going to the hospital and much earlier than the general outbreak. But, hey, whatever gets clicks and takes attention away form our fumbling here in the USA, right?

I had no idea Japan was doing so poorly. Slow vaccine approval process and a reliance on home grown vaccine projects have left them with a 2% vaccination level and a spike in cases.

I had no idea Japan was doing so poorly. Slow vaccine approval process and a reliance on home grown vaccine projects have left them with a 2% vaccination level and a spike in cases.

Well, looking at is at a different perspective, how did they do well so long? Taiwan was doing excellent without vaccine but complacency resulted in some outbreak recently. Being Taiwan makes the world's chips and we have a chip shortage world-wide - and getting worse by the day, we should really be sending enough vaccine to get them to herd immunity ASAP.

I know someone with Lupus who was 'NONreactive' after a "LabCorp spike test". Doctor said the test was: "The Roche Cobas® Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2 M Spike Total is an immunoassay intended for the qualitative detection of antibodies (including IgG) to SARS-CoV-2 Anti-M Spike Total antibodies."

Lupus meds they take: CellCept (Mycophenolate Mofetil) and Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine).

Timing: 3 wks post 2nd Moderna shots.

• Informative
The Japan situation seems bad, and has potential to become worse, as it does in any place with minimal natural immunity or vaccine-induced immunity, with the more contagious variants circulating.

But there are currently worse places...

Wonder where the next scariant will come from? Hmm... (Side note: Sweden is always outperforming on these maps...still working on their herd immunity strategy I guess?)

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.32.49 AM.png

I know someone with Lupus who was 'NONreactive' after a "LabCorp spike test". Doctor said the test was: "The Roche Cobas® Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2 M Spike Total is an immunoassay intended for the qualitative detection of antibodies (including IgG) to SARS-CoV-2 Anti-M Spike Total antibodies."

Lupus meds they take: CellCept (Mycophenolate Mofetil) and Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine).

Timing: 3 wks post 2nd Moderna shots.
Yes, this is one of the many reasons to get vaccinated...

I would guess would just tend to make China even more reluctant to cooperate.
"cooperate" is a very loaded - and slippery - word.

In the drum up to the Iraq war that Bush/CIA initiated with lies, it was all about whether or not Iraq was "cooperating" with weapons inspectors. They would get one demand - Iraq would comply - and then they would go to next demand. This went on for months. It was quite clear the idea was to ratchet up the demands to where Iraq would not accept and use that as a pretext for butchering the civilians and grab the oil resources.

There is zero reason for any country to "co-operate" with institutions effectively controlled by OECD.

"cooperate" is a very loaded - and slippery - word.

In the drum up to the Iraq war that Bush/CIA initiated with lies, it was all about whether or not Iraq was "cooperating" with weapons inspectors. They would get one demand - Iraq would comply - and then they would go to next demand. This went on for months. It was quite clear the idea was to ratchet up the demands to where Iraq would not accept and use that as a pretext for butchering the civilians and grab the oil resources.

There is zero reason for any country to "co-operate" with institutions effectively controlled by OECD.
Yeah I meant it in the un-loaded way. I don't care about any of this other stuff. It would just be nice to have actual sharing of information and that doesn't happen when (completely silly and lacking in substance) accusations are being thrown around.

Reactions: madodel
I knew that Japan was behind in approving their 1st COVID vaccine. They didn't get started vaccinating their healthcare workers until months after the US. Per Japan government panel approves Covid vaccine, made by Pfizer, for the first time, NHK TV reports, looks like it happened in Feb 2021. And yes, I'd known about their low vaccination rate for awhile.

The WaPo piece is behind a paywall. I luckily was able to read it via Google cache. The info there (since it's a few weeks old) is outdated. Moderna recently got approved there.

OT, news like Trained on smelly socks, bio-detection dogs sniff out COVID-19 was making the rounds over the weekend.

I knew that Japan was behind in approving their 1st COVID vaccine. They didn't get started vaccinating their healthcare workers until months after the US. Per Japan government panel approves Covid vaccine, made by Pfizer, for the first time, NHK TV reports, looks like it happened in Feb 2021. And yes, I'd known about their low vaccination rate for awhile.

The WaPo piece is behind a paywall. I luckily was able to read it via Google cache. The info there (since it's a few weeks old) is outdated. Moderna recently got approved there.

OT, news like Trained on smelly socks, bio-detection dogs sniff out COVID-19 was making the rounds over the weekend.

They should sell a training kit for us to train our dogs. 😀

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Agreed, if it was from the lab, we would have expected the staff and family members all going to the hospital and much earlier than the general outbreak. But, hey, whatever gets clicks and takes attention away form our fumbling here in the USA, right?

The right wing being so sure that it came from the lab... Makes me wonder if the unsustantiated claim by the Chinese govt is true. They 'claim' that an Army Special Forces let it loose in Wuhan. Would not be hard to infect the scientists outside the lab and let it spread. We know Trump was having a hard time with Americans wanting to buy Chinese goods. He had to harm the Chinese industrial base, why not a bioweapon from a US Army lab. If anyone is crazy enough to do that, he is. Guess it backfired.

The right wing being so sure that it came from the lab... Makes me wonder if the unsustantiated claim by the Chinese govt is true. They 'claim' that an Army Special Forces let it loose in Wuhan. Would not be hard to infect the scientists outside the lab and let it spread. We know Trump was having a hard time with Americans wanting to buy Chinese goods. He had to harm the Chinese industrial base, why not a bioweapon from a US Army lab. If anyone is crazy enough to do that, he is. Guess it backfired.

But no one stopped buying Chinese made goods did they? I doubt this is a conspiracy. Maybe an accident or it was a wild vector.

I really hope the US was not the cause. It's not like the rest of the world likes our smugness when traveling abroad.

How would the US be the cause? It originated in Wuhan, China. It was either a natural event due to recombination in a non-human species, or someone in a lab F-d up. Where does the US enter into that equation?

The Chinese published the genome sequence a long time back, I think very late 2019 early 2020, (corrections welcomed)

When my spouse sequenced 46,000 base pairs, both directions, of glucose-6-cerebrosidase and Metaxin (codes out in the opposite direction but the overlay is non-contiguous), it took years by hand with ultracentrifuges spinning for a day or so, toxic ethidium bromide, radioactive markers and X-ray films to hand count A,C,G,T using a ruler and pen and paper

Now you can sequence in day or less

When you insert a genetic sequence it leaves a fingerprint due to having insertion sequences at both ends and the one you want inserted in the middle,
a "fingerprint" so to speak of "Hey, here's a marker next to an inserted set! look at me!"

the technology has gotten a lot better in 25 years or so and the tools better and more precise, but when you look at the various mutants they know where and what is different.

You better believe that a lot of labs would report "hey, here's something anamalous and weird, quick publish and get this out there!! and others looking too.

I'm personally fairly confident Covid-19 is natural in that it jumped from a wild animal to humans and not genetically engineered, since you can read about the variants and a lot of labs are monitoring this nasty stuff

I'm also fully vaccinated with Moderna and am looking forward to boosters probably yearly, perhaps the planet is trying to "thin the herd"