Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I assume one factor is things opening back up and vaccinated people feeling comfortable going out again, and the non-vaccinated socializing among those crowds (probably with no mask.) Another factor could be more contagious new variants of COVID-19 compared to the original strain.

Yep, this is exactly it.

If the vaccinated were spreaders, you would see case reports of at least one or more "super spreader" events from vaccinated individuals. It's just not happening.

We don't mask up and try to prevent the spread of measles, polio, rubella, and about a dozen other things we vaccinate against. Literally, this is the design and point of vaccines. SARS-CoV-2 is no different in that regard.

There is definitely an increase in the number of stories about China lab leaks / accidents / intentional leaks. Mainstream media that avoided such stories (because it was promoted by Trump earlier) seem to be embracing / allowing them. My "speculation" is that - there is a co-ordinated effort behind this.

Its possible the "intelligence" agencies have indeed uncovered some new information or they are spreading the stories as some kind of leverage against China. Given the history of making up stuff that the "intelligence" agencies have - I'm not inclined to give them any kind of benefit of doubt.

BTW, these stories are most widespread in Indian media - a traditional rival to India (there are lots of border disputes going back to 1962 Indo-Chinese war). Infact my brother was saying all these variants we are seeing are because China is slowly releasing the variants in different countries. Seems to be the "consensus" in India now ...

ps : I don't know whether the virus leak came from a lab - but I'm fairly sure the stories are being leaked by the "Intelligence" agencies.

Last edited:
Now add to that the increased complexity of having to keep samples at appropriate temperatures - live samples at 25-40C, refrigerated samples at 4C, frozen samples at -80C, and super-cooled samples in liquid nitrogen. Extra handling of those samples, many of which will have not been touched in years, but will be for a move.

Yeah . . . a lab leak is plausible.

Yup. From the first time I heard the lab leak story almost a year ago I did not believe the deliberate release stories, but I thought an accidental lab leak was very plausible scenario.

Yup. From the first time I heard the lab leak story almost a year ago I did not believe the deliberate release stories, but I thought an accidental lab leak was very plausible scenario.

So if you were China and your government lab sickened the whole world, would you admit it?
It seems like a "smoke screen" disinformation campaign started up suggesting all sorts of wild theories so that people give up trying to believe any one of them.

There were some stories about a depressed, possibly suicidal, lab worker who was said to have released it due to some deranged thoughts.
If any one of the lab workers (I think some of them students/interns) were to try to sneak out a virus, could they do it? Maybe even just infect themselves on the job and then walk out... We may just be stuck with endless speculations and wild theories. Unless maybe the intelligence community have some intercepted communications where someone actually knows and was talking about it at the time.

Last edited:
So if you were China and your government lab sickened the whole world, would you admit it?
It seems like a "smoke screen" disinformation campaign started up suggesting all sorts of wild theories so that people give up trying to believe any one of them.

There were some stories about a depressed, possibly suicidal, lab worker who was said to have released it due to some deranged thoughts.
If any one of the lab workers (I think some of them students/interns) were to try to sneak out a virus, could they do it? Maybe even just infect themselves on the job and then walk out... We may just be stuck with endless speculations and wild theories. Unless maybe the intelligence community have some intercepted communications where someone actually knows and was talking about it at the time.
So, here you go

Alice Bradley Sheldon, author
pen names "Raccona Sheldon" and "James Tiptree, Jr"
wrote very dark fiction born 1915, joined the CIA in ~1945

"the last flight of Dr Ain",

about the extinction of the entire human race with a 100% communicable, 100% fatal areosol virus
(Babylon 5 had an episode dedicated to this, although it was different species)
(There are records of pandemics and epidemics going way back in time)

(don't attribute to human intervention what the planet has been trying to do for perhaps 5,000+ years)

Reactions: eevee-fan
Unless maybe the intelligence community have some intercepted communications where someone actually knows and was talking about it at the time.
Would you believe the "intelligence community" ? Afterall CIA director told the President that the WMD case against Iraq was a "slam-dunk" - primarily based on statements by one "dissident" who hadn't been in Iraq for years, Chalabi.

When the stakes are so high - its very difficult to believe either side.

Would you believe the "intelligence community" ? Afterall CIA director told the President that the WMD case against Iraq was a "slam-dunk" - primarily based on statements by one "dissident" who hadn't been in Iraq for years, Chalabi.

When the stakes are so high - its very difficult to believe either side.

Over China? In a heartbeat. Less than a heartbeat.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I know, I am just saying that Lab Leak happens all the time and SARS being from lab leaks should have made front page news if FAUX news reported it previously.

Perhaps, but given how the MSM treat Tesla, I trust them (both sides) about how far I can throw them. And as much as my wife likes my physique, I'm not the Hulk, so they would not be thrown far.

Reactions: JimLL
upload_2021-1-2_13-38-1-png.623548

354,316 was the 2020 number.

we are around ~255,000 for 2021 at the halfway mark. Will we clamp it down or will we have a new wave in the fall?

Ironic that we had to have a complete change in administrations for people to even have this discussion seriously.
ever visited Ft. Dietrich, in Frederick, Maryland, USA?

i had to repair a medical instrument there, covered with fine white powder
the powder i later found was an aerosolized decontaminant , instrument was gassed to kill any “bugs, etc”, so nice and toxic for living critters, big and small, including perhaps me

was i told to “glove up, paranoia level 11”?
not an ‘effing chance’ so worked on it bare handed, no masks, gloves, nada, none available either in sight anywhere

later recognized machine in a newspaper photo in Baltimore Sun, E4A, electrolyte analyzer, in a room with overhead air lines for the workers, so it potentially had _blood sera_ residue, coupled with article about coworkers who were refusing and suing to not get vaccines to allow them to work safely there. (they lost)

did i become a typhoid mary? was I a vector of something?
who knows? not me, still wonder occasionally

(you remember Serratia Marcessions(sorry abt spelling) experiment in NY subways decades back (50 yrs or so) on infection vectors

over 30 years ago but nobody there gave a Flying F at the time about potential patient zero.

ever been to Hazleton labs in Reston, Virginia, where the Reston variant of Ebola almost emerged?

worked on medical equipment there also
you had to be carded into the building I went to

Ebola building was next over, subsequently razed, a bit far over.

workers left the back door unlocked for random smoke breaks.

You need at least 1 very paranoid person as a lab safety officer wielding “the hammer of ghod” to raise the awareness.

conversely,

worked in another RIA lab where we were very paranoid and did lots of cleaning, used geiger counters to check for spills which were not allowed, very clean very, cautiousl and randomly checked.

this does not even address the sociopath psychopaths that occasionally work in labs

we went to a lecture in the psychology department at Virginia Tech around 1970, and listened in growing, silent horror, as this gruff elderly grandfatherly type gentleman, interspersing his talk with “heh heh” as attempt at humor, describing giving people doses of LSD without their knowledge “heh heh, 1 subject threw a person down the stairs, heh, heh” while dosing them with massive amounts hallucinogens.

completely removed from reality the researchers were, the subjects were no more than lab rats to be tortured.

at a different lecture a chem professor casually commented about making 6 liters of LSD
(6 million, 100 microgram hits)

however, i’m still willing to believe Covid-19 was a zoonotic, not a lab release
somewhat akin to “jumping genes” since life swaps genetic codes all the time, but what do I know?

Last edited: