Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally know of two people who managed to avoid getting COVID until recently. Both are fully vaccinated (Pfizer) and picked it up indoors maskless after letting their guard down.

One of those two managed to give it to a half-vaccinated relative before realizing they had COVID. Fortunately, the other relatives did not get it.

The prevalence of "long COVID" or where symptoms persist beyond 6 weeks, appear to be around 20% for people who are vaccinated that get COVID (sorry, don't have the reference handy). Both of those above reasons seem like good reasons to either strongly recommend or require masks indoors again, whether you care about the unvaccinated or not.

I understand the resistance to going back to masking, but honestly, the cat is out of the bag - again.

Here in San Diego County the case rate is almost 10x higher than it was a month ago and there are 3-4x as many people in the hospital. Given that the vaccination rate has not changed significantly in the last month, I would not be surprised to see hospitals filling up again in the next 2-6 weeks, unless we can reduce the rate of COVID infections.

And I presume that both of those individuals had mild symptoms. Hospitalized?

Both mild, but it remains to be seen as to what the long-term effects are.

With mild disease, I would bet (money, Tesla, pretty much anything) that there are no long-COVID symptoms. Typical respiratory infections can take up to 6 weeks to fully resolve, but I would be very surprised if there were any symptoms after that.

Long-COVID symptoms are a direct result, from what we know, of very high viral loads and damaged to tissues caused by those high viral loads. Vaccinated individuals should be able to mount an immune response long before viral loads get to that level. The one, important, exception to that would be individuals with any degree of immunocompromise.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
The prevalence of "long COVID" or where symptoms persist beyond 6 weeks, appear to be around 20% for people who are vaccinated that get COVID (sorry, don't have the reference handy).

Here's some evidence of longer COVID symptoms in vaccinated individuals, all with technically "mild" symptoms (these definitions can be surprising though - mild might mean "not hospitalized" - didn't read the study for all the exact definitions). Note that the BT infection rate was only 0.4% in this population, which is great - but note that is NOT at all the same as efficacy, since it is the product of efficacy and the exposure rate, and this is pre-Delta :

Both are fully vaccinated (Pfizer) and picked it up indoors maskless after letting their guard down.
Yeah, I don't want to be part of that group, though my options are limited since I'm now required to be at work three days a week (fortunately in a 97+% vaccinated environment where masking in common areas is required). And I'm back to rock climbing at the gym once a week (masked with a vented N95 which are the best, since they don't lift, apparently).

Here's the data on Pfizer protection:

I'm not necessarily THAT worried about long COVID, but it just seems to me that masking can substantially reduce my risk so I'm not going to mess around. I'd feel pretty dumb if I got COVID and hadn't been masking. If I get it with masking, it is what it is. I just do whatever I can and try to live my life relatively normally now. Standard risk reduction stuff. Masking is easy and doesn't limit me in any way.

Last edited:
Here's some evidence of longer COVID symptoms in vaccinated individuals, all with technically "mild" symptoms (these definitions can be surprising though - mild might mean "not hospitalized" - didn't read the study for all the exact definitions). Note that the BT infection rate was only 0.4% in this population, which is great - but note that is NOT at all the same as efficacy, since it is the product of efficacy and the exposure rate, and this is pre-Delta :

Yeah, I don't want to be part of that group, though my options are limited since I'm now required to be at work three days a week (fortunately in a 97+% vaccinated environment where masking in common areas is required). And I'm back to rock climbing at the gym once a week (masked with a vented N95 which are the best, since they don't lift, apparently).

Here's the data on Pfizer protection:

I'm not necessarily THAT worried about long COVID, but it just seems to me that masking can substantially reduce my risk so I'm not going to mess around. I'd feel pretty dumb if I got COVID and hadn't been masking. If I get it with masking, it is what it is. I just do whatever I can and try to live my life relatively normally now. Standard risk reduction stuff. Masking is easy and doesn't limit me in any way.
Thanks, that was the reference I saw earlier regarding ~20% long COVID in vaxxed people. Still doesn't tell us how severe those symptoms are, but we already know that COVID isn't just the flu or cold, so why mess around?

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Interesting data and commentary ... the Midwest appears to be the region with the highest percentage of low and moderate cases.

"On the CDC's map, low counties are represented in blue, moderate counties are in yellow, substantial counties are in orange and high counties are in red. Counties vary in size so it's also a good idea to check a city, state or municipal health department website. As of Wednesday, about 50% of counties have high transmission and 17% have substantial transmission, which covers wide swaths of the South and West, according to CDC data. About 27% of US counties are considered to have moderate transmission and only about 9% have low transmission.

Health officials say this new guidance, an update from May, reflects the latest science on the more transmissible Delta variant and evidence that suggests vaccinated people can still spread the virus. The vast majority of spread still appears to come from unvaccinated people, who are at much higher risk of severe illness that can send people to the hospital or kill them. The guidance on mask-wearing is meant to remind people who are fully vaccinated that they might be able to infect others, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Tuesday."

1627530849552.png

"Several medical experts took issue with parts of the CDC's decision to update the mask guidance and its specific metrics.
For one, the CDC's system solely is based on new cases and positivity rate -- but not vaccinations, hospitalizations, deaths, or any of the other relevant metrics experts have come to know since the pandemic began. "If you were to ask me how I define a community that has high transmission, I say, 'I don't look at any one number,'" said Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine. "I don't look at positivity rate, the per-100,000 rate, I don't look at hospitalizations or deaths. I look at it all in aggregate to really get a sense of what's happening on a really high level."

Hotez also took issue with the CDC using 100 cases per 100,000 people as a "high" level of transmission, which he said was a low bar. As cases continue to rise in the coming few weeks, the CDC's map is likely to become less useful, he said. "Everything is going to be red pretty soon, and that's not good either because it doesn't give you a lot of credit for vaccinations," he said. Wen noted that the CDC's metrics don't take into account an area's vaccination rate.
"I wish that the CDC had tied indoor mask-wearing to vaccination rates in a community. That's something people can work towards, and it's something that's less arbitrary," she said. "It's also more motivating as an incentive," she added.

Last edited:
wish that the CDC had tied indoor mask-wearing to vaccination rates in a community. That's something people can work towards, and it's something that's less arbitrary," she said. "It's also more motivating as an incentive," she added.
Yep, they need to create motivation for vaccination. Metrics like this are very important and it is mysterious why they are not included.

Also their recommendations and comments today about viral load in vaccinated individuals is questionable. It’s not clear at all that vaccinated individuals with delta have viral loads similar to unvaccinated individuals with prior variants. There’s no data. Definitely need good data from vaccines used in this country before they run with that.

I think this is all because they aren’t willing to say everyone has to mask up because the freeloaders have blown the privileges for everyone. Instead, they’re trying to establish poorly grounded rationale , which are somehow more palatable, for why vaccinated people should do so (there are plenty of actual good reasons to do so, of course). And it’s reducing the incentive to have people get vaccinated, which is dangerous.
Just tell people the unvaccinated people blew it for everyone and as a practical matter of “enforcement” (even though it will not be enforced since there is no mandate) everyone should mask up, and there are fringe benefits for vaccinated individuals anyway (like reduced risk of infection). Seems like a simple message. Also true.

I personally know of two people who managed to avoid getting COVID until recently. Both are fully vaccinated (Pfizer) and picked it up indoors maskless after letting their guard down.

One of those two managed to give it to a half-vaccinated relative before realizing they had COVID. Fortunately, the other relatives did not get it.
Update - one of those other relatives (vaxxed) got it from the half-vaxxed person, then also managed to give it to another vaxxed person. Yeah, so one initial infection led to at least 3 others. So yeah - the delta variant is no joke and you should quarantine if you get COVID.

Update - one of those other relatives (vaxxed) got it from the half-vaxxed person, then also managed to give it to another vaxxed person. Yeah, so one initial infection led to at least 3 others. So yeah - the delta variant is no joke and you should quarantine if you get COVID.
Really makes one wonder about the efficacy numbers published so far…

I guess this tends to be the way anecdotal data is…but still….

I guess the question is how many contacts did they have, and the status of those contacts.

Last edited:
Really makes one wonder about the efficacy numbers published so far…

I guess this tends to be the way anecdotal data is…but still….

I guess the question is how many contacts did they have, and the status of those contacts.
I think a lot of this may just be bad luck. Someone just got a large viral load exposure, then gave a large exposure to someone else before the antibodies got to work overwhelming the invaders. Timing and viral load exposure could explain some of these cases. I have to get a COVID test tomorrow to get on the flight back to the US on Sunday. Everyone here wears masks indoors but few do outside. Hopefully I've had good luck or I may be quarantining here for a couple weeks which would not be great. I wouldn't mind spending a couple more weeks here in Germany but not being able to go anywhere the whole time sucks.

think a lot of this may just be bad luck. Someone just got a large viral load exposure, then gave a large exposure to someone else before the antibodies got to work overwhelming the invaders.
Yep. That’s why we have organizations like PHE do actual studies. Very hard to tell from anecdotes - you don’t hear about all the cases that didn’t end up being cases.

Due to the nature of these reports, the virus appears to have nearly 100% success rate infecting vaccinated individuals.

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel
This mysterious highly conflicting information still puzzles me:

Total county population is 3.35 million, 12 & up is about 2.8 million.

We have something like 2.05 million fully vaccinated. (61%)

I think The NY Times is taking the CDC vaccination data (44% for some reason?) to establish vulnerability. We have a lower vaccination rate than Imperial County (lol)! 17% seems like a big difference.

Not sure what the deal is. And I wonder how many other counties are so affected. Seems like it would massively affect predictions.

T
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 12.57.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 1.00.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 1.01.13 PM.png

Also their recommendations and comments today about viral load in vaccinated individuals is questionable. It’s not clear at all that vaccinated individuals with delta have viral loads similar to unvaccinated individuals with prior variants. There’s no data. Definitely need good data from vaccines used in this country before they run with that.

The recommendation that vaccinated people in some parts of the country dust off their masks was based largely on one troublesome finding, according to Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

New research showed that vaccinated people infected with the Delta variant carry tremendous amounts of the virus in the nose and throat, she said in an email responding to questions from The New York Times…..

….The C.D.C. has not yet published its data, frustrating experts who want to understand the basis for the change of heart on masks. But four scientists familiar with the research said it was compelling and justified the C.D.C.’s advice that the vaccinated wear masks again in public indoor spaces.

Insiders say the data is to be published imminently, according to tweet by NYT reporter.

The CDC’s data on virus levels in the nose and throat of vaccinated people who are infected with the Delta variant is now expected to be released Friday, according to NYT reporter.

Just waiting over here, with my mask on. I got more 3M 1870+ Aura when they were down to $2 a piece, so I'm ready for anything!

Reactions: madodel and Jeff N

The delta variant of the coronavirus appears to cause more severe illness than earlier variants and spreads as easily as chickenpox, according to an internal federal health document that argues officials must “acknowledge the war has changed.”

The document is an internal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention slide presentation, shared within the CDC and obtained by The Washington Post….

The R0 of chickenpox is often said to be 10-12.

Read the leaked CDC internal presentation here:

Last edited:
With mild disease, I would bet (money, Tesla, pretty much anything) that there are no long-COVID symptoms. Typical respiratory infections can take up to 6 weeks to fully resolve, but I would be very surprised if there were any symptoms after that.
From a leading expert on Long Covid:

Those whose initial disease was characterized as “mild” commonly experience Long Covid.

I’ve seen it said that children with mild Covid symptoms can also develop MIS-C.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC
From a leading expert on Long Covid:

I’ve seen it said that children with mild Covid symptoms can also develop MIS-C.

MIS-C is a very rare complication of COVID in the under 21 population.

316 incidences per 1mil infections in the 21 and under population. That puts it in the rare category, rarer than other systemic side-effects of infective diseases, like PANDAS, etc.

I'm not saying it's not bad, but only one of my pediatric hospitalists colleagues saw a case, which resolved with supportive care (which is the norm for MIS-C).

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and Jeff N