Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I never followed this Guo guy much but I'd heard of this odd character even before Who is the Chinese mogul who owns the boat Steve Bannon was busted on? happened.
I guess I'm naive or just missing something, but what does this guy get out of doing something this evil other than some attention? Is he selling some of this snake oil or is it pushed by the Chinese government just to destabilize the US and the rest of the world?

I suspect you're wrong on that point. The more time passes the more likely it is that the remaining unvaccinated are the true believers. It takes a lot of conviction to ignore the evidence piling up on a daily basis.
Hard to know, I think. There are a remarkable number of people out there who simply have not got the message that the vaccines are safe. Fortunately with mandates coming, that should start to change.

It would be interesting to see some data on it. But there's some substantial segments of disadvantaged populations who have chosen not to get vaccinated - because they don't trust it.

-----

Another variant (mu, B.1.621) bites the dust - vaccine remains extremely effective. Mu also isn't spreading (meaning outcompeting delta), so delta and potential future variants thereof remain the concern for potential vaccine escape.

I do think that Moderna/Pfizer/etc. should start the process of retargeting to delta ASAP. It seems like a better starting point than where we are at currently, even though the vaccines remain very effective (delta does not seem to have substantially worse immune escape - but it's hard to separate from waning effects).

Hopefully boosters are coming soon for everyone. Seems like side effects are all over the map - some people who had reactions to the second have minimal reaction to the third, “others” have worse reactions to the third than the second (worse meaning no reaction to the second, but with a reaction (fever/chills) to the third).

Last edited:
Just letting the status quo play out is just weak…
He was elected because he promised weak - status quo presidency.

Aggressively combating Covid would require confrontation, which Biden has avoided all his life. He can't even confront Manchin, let alone cults.

BTW, even Trump was booed when he asked his fans to get vaccinated.

Hard to know, I think. There are a remarkable number of people out there who simply have not got the message that the vaccines are safe. Fortunately with mandates coming, that should start to change.

It would be interesting to see some data on it. But there's some substantial segments of disadvantaged populations who have chosen not to get vaccinated - because they don't trust it.
Probably the best motivator is cost. Insurance companies (or employers) should greatly increase the cost of insurance for those not vaccinated. That would probably make the most "sense" to this crowd too.

Last edited:
should greatly increase the cost of insurance for those not vaccinated
Not great for equity. Agreed there should be incentives but have to be careful how to structure them.

BTW, even Trump was booed when he asked his fans to get vaccinated.

Sure, you're not getting through to those people. The biggest question (and I really haven't seen it quantified very well) is how many of those people there actually are.

Probably the best motivator is cost. Insurance companies (or employers) should greatly increase the cost of insurance for those not vaccinated. That would probably make the most "sense" to this crowd too.
Delta adds 200/month to health insurance premiums for the unvaccinated. Other airlines give vaccinated workers free time off if they get Covid, others have to use their vacation days. And they test unvaccinated workers weekly. I haven't seen much of this outside the airline industry, though.

The World Health Organization is calling for a hold on the use of COVID-19 booster shots until at least the end of 2021 in order to increase vaccine access in low-income countries. Tedros said he hoped the moratorium extension will enable every country to vaccinate at least 40% of its population by the year's end. However, he did acknowledge that third doses might be needed for immunocompromised people.

"Third doses may be necessary for the most at-risk populations, where there is evidence of waning immunity against severe disease and death, such as the very small group of immunocompromised people who did not respond sufficiently to their initial doses or are no longer producing antibodies," Tedros said. "But for now, we do not want to see widespread use of boosters for healthy people who are fully vaccinated."

a sign on the side of a building: The Associated Press

© The Associated Press The Associated Press

This poll is about 6 weeks old, but it supports what I've been seeing in the news:
Why won’t Americans get vaccinated? | YouGov

The population that says they will definitely not get the vaccine are mostly from the South and Midwest, white, without a college degree. A big overlap with current Republican voters. When they break down by party, 4% of Democrats refuse, but 29% of Republicans and 23% of Independents. Among the "not sure" group the breakdown is 6/13/12 (D/R/I).

I would expect if a follow up poll was done now, the recent vaccinations are probably in the "plan to get vaccinated group" and the "unsure" group from July. Those who do not plan to get vaccinated have their mind made up and don't want to be confused with facts. I'm sure you've known some people like that with other things.

The social pressure not to get vaccinated in some places is so strong that clinics have offered private appointments where people can get vaccinated without anyone else knowing.

The last 5 years have demonstrated there are two separate universes trying to coexist in the United States (and to some extent the rest of the world) now. Earth 1 believes in science and provable facts. There may be some debate on the edges about what is a provable fact or not and what those facts mean, but everyone agrees that up is up and down is down.

Earth 2 believes science information from pillow salesmen over trained scientists and make major decisions based on what boils down to magical thinking. It's a Wonderland world where down is up and up is down. That some politicians are eating or having sex with small children as part of some devil worshiping cult and a billionaire philanthropist wants to track everybody on Earth (for some unexplained reason) by putting technologically impossible chips in vaccines he had no hand in producing.

A fairly significant minority of the US population have had a psychotic break with the consensus reality most of the world has shared for the last few hundred years. According to the above poll, it's probably somewhere around 18%. That's a minority, and it would be a small one over most single issue, but the delusion goes far deeper than any one topic. It's a deep rooted mindset that is not going to go away with rational talk.

Not great for equity. Agreed there should be incentives but have to be careful how to structure them.
Personally I think people who refuse to get vaccinated, don't wear mask - thereby spreading Covid should be charged with manslaughter. This is the other side of the "freedom" coin.

There is no difference between DUI and anti-vaxxers spreading Covid.

Increasing insurance rates is the lowest of lowest punishments. Yes, if you want to make it equitable - tie the rates to income / networth.

Personally I think people who refuse to get vaccinated, don't wear mask - thereby spreading Covid should be charged with manslaughter. This is the other side of the "freedom" coin.

Increasing insurance rates is the lowest of lowest punishments. Yes, if you want to make it equitable - tie the rates to income / networth.
It's pretty much the same as yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre.

There is a precedent. Some people who were HIV positive and knew it who continued to have unprotected sex were charged and convicted of things like assault with a deadly weapon. But this would only apply to people who were clearly sick.

With increased insurance premiums, there is probably a fair share of people who are unvaccinated who don't have insurance. Others are part of a group insurance program such as through work. It would require the employer to penalize their employees such as Delta has done, but there are employers who either don't want to because they sympathize with the anti-vaxxers or they are too afraid of the anti-vaxxers.

I do agree that if the economic penalties are great enough, some of the hold outs will set aside their ideology and get vaccinated, though a black market in fake vaccination cards will probably crop up too.

I’m not talking about the willfully anti-vaxxed. There are many people who worry (incorrectly) about the impact of the vaccination on their health (due to pre-existing conditions, etc.).

Those groups - largely uneducated, poor, marginalized, etc., are the ones where adding more penalties is not going to help accomplish the goal. Also they are the low hanging fruit at this point.

That’s all I am saying. Remaining unvaccinated is irresponsible unless there is a very good medical reason for it (very rare). We just have to make sure those who are misinformed have the opportunity to easily get vaccinated ASAP. It’s not clear to me that that has really been done.

I do realize it is trivial to walk into a pharmacy and get vaccinated. But at this point we should probably go even more granular, neighborhood by neighborhood, etc.

Reactions: jerry33 and madodel

It's done in Vietnam:

Vietnam: Man gets five years in jail for spreading Covid

"A Vietnamese man has been sentenced to jail for five years for flouting Covid-19 rules and spreading the virus.
A court found Le Van Tri guilty of "transmitting dangerous infectious diseases" to eight people, one of whom eventually died."