Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should graph death rate versus fully vaxxed two months earlier. Death reports reflect people who were infected about a month earlier. And it takes about a month for vaccines to give full immunity.

Really, what you want is death rate for an entire 2-3 month long COVID wave versus the percentage that were fully vaxxed at the start of the COVID wave. I think that would show a really strong correlation.

zjxabspsxhl71.png

The first U.S. COVID death was reportedly a month before everyone thought

"Kansas great-grandmother Lovell "Cookie" Brown died on Jan. 9, 2020.
Originally, her death certificate cited "chronic obstructive lung disease,"
but it has since been updated to include COVID-19,
making her the first official coronavirus death in the U.S."
I hope this came from testing blood or tissue samples very carefully vs. "symptoms" or something. Otherwise it just feeds the inflated count nuts. On the other extreme, it mentions a UW IHME study that said US Covid deaths from March 2020 to May 2021 were 905k vs. 574k official count. (Article links to more detailed paper which says 912k vs. 578k). They start with CDC excess mortality data then make some adjustments, e.g. flu deaths were near zero due to distancing, masks, etc.

I agree the Covid counts are low, but not by nearly that much. 912k in May would be right at a million today. Even if I torture the numbers mercilessly I can't get them to say that. I estimate 750-800k through August.

And here's some new, additional data supporting my claims. It seems to me that you may be more likely to be weakly protected if your first bout of COVID did not land you in the hospital.

Didn't they just look at neutralizing antibodies? Not sure how much faith I want to put in that. And I don't see anything about Delta.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Except that's literally what happened to him.
Not exactly. He asked whether he could get the shot. Which is totally different than making an appointment to get one (which you can do). They won’t stop you if you actually want it and that is your objective. That was my only point.

And of course they won’t give it with a flu vaccine - that is nothing new.

Reactions: linux-works
Not exactly. He asked whether he could get the shot. Which is totally different than making an appointment to get one (which you can do). They won’t stop you if you actually want it and that is your objective. That was my only point.

And of course they won’t give it with a flu vaccine - that is nothing new.
Actually we asked to schedule the appointment when we went for the flu shot. They also said there was no longer any wait time involved between flu and covid vaccine. They didn't say about whether they would give it the same day. I suspect if you go to a different pharmacy you'll get a different answer. (My six months isn't up till next month, but Denise is at six months now.)

Didn't they just look at neutralizing antibodies? Not sure how much faith I want to put in that.
How would that modify the picture here?
And I don't see anything about Delta.
How would that change the result here?

Actually we asked to schedule the appointment when we went for the flu shot. They also said there was no longer any wait time involved between flu and covid vaccine
Thanks for that clarification. Yeah, probably depends on the pharmacy for the questions they might ask - but as I said, if you say you qualify they will give you the shot. They’re not in the business of policing this! They’re allowed for immunocompromised for sure. (You may well need to be untruthful to get one. The weird thing is that many immunocompromised don’t seem to realize they qualify.)

I guess maybe I’ll get mine tomorrow. Within a few days of 5 months. Want to miss the rush! I am around an immunocompromised person every day, so I don’t really feel bad about it at all, though I don’t qualify technically.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33
Did you already try their lost & found ?
Lost & Found at Frankfurt Airport

And I guess you could already get started with this:
Did you lose your CDC COVID-19 vaccine card? We can help by sending you a record of your immunizations!

"Please allow 7-10 business days for fulfillment of your vaccine record request."
I went to Lufthansa the Airport police and the Airport Lost and Found. I tried contacting the Airport Lost and Found a couple days after I lost it because they said sometimes it takes a day or 2 for things to be turned in. Never heard from anyone. It's gone. Thanks for the PA Dept of Health link.

Mark

The snapshots below are from this morning, thus represent data ending July 31, 2021. The graphs have the same time scale and cover roughly 17 months from Mar 2020 to July 2021.

View attachment 690723

What I would have called the 4th spike in US cases doesn't stand out on the deaths chart and the increase in deaths corresponding to the 5th spike above has just barely started it's uptick. Can't even see it yet (nothing definitive).

1630901812401.png

Also interesting how the 2nd and 3rd wave on both graphs are similar in magnitude but the 1st wave was much worse in deaths than it was in cases and the 4th wave is the inverse of that (to a lesser extent).
Will be about 1/10th as deadly as the prior waves on a per case basis, most likely. Due to vaccination rates in the vulnerable being very high…

Vaccines work!

Interesting to note the lack of correlation in phases 4 and 5... for the TLDR crowd, the vaccine has proven to be very effective in reducing deaths

For the Vaccines work and TLDR crowds, these were both reactions that ignored the trend of the coming wave. New cases still haven't finished the up slope and deaths trail that (also haven't finished the up slope). Here is the updated version

1630901228512.png

1630901285878.png

you can say what you want about the vaccines working but wave 5 is still on an up slope and is already deadlier than wave 2 and 4, likely to be worse than wave 1.

The "lack of correlation" for wave 5 was just the extra time it takes from infection to death. So the deaths chart is behind the new cases chart by a couple of weeks.

Don't make the mistake of looking at it now as a finished product, deaths 5 is time shifted, we have less data on the deaths chart. It isn't a ratio you can compare with certainty until the wave ends.

Last edited:
For the Vaccines work and TLDR crowds, these were both reactions that ignored the trend of the coming wave.
I definitely underestimated the number of deaths this wave, by about 3x. Seems that simply not enough people got vaccinated, which I did not account for sufficiently. CFR probably did go down by nearly 10x in the more heavily vaccinated states…but even there probably not vaccinated enough. I was too optimistic for sure, and the non-uniform vaccine distribution has really hurt.

The UK strategy definitely worked better!

The vaccines most definitely work though. Should have done more of them.

The "lack of correlation" for wave 5 was just the extra time it takes from infection to death.
I never thought there would be a lack of deaths delayed from the cases with this wave. I just thought the CFR would drop. Which it definitely has! Just not by as much as I expected (by a factor of 2 or 3). It’s about 1% now and I thought we’d get to 0.5%. Not going to get there anytime soon, even though it will drop in coming weeks as children start the next wave.

This wave is certainly way less deadly than the winter wave and it will likely remain that way. The coming winter wave…will still not result in as many deaths as last winter’s. Going to be a lot more deaths though. People just refuse to get vaccinated.

but wave 5 is still on an up slope and is already deadlier than wave 2 and 4, likely to be worse than wave 1.
I don’t know. Seems to me deaths have come close to topping out (they’ll rise slowly for another week or two I think). They won’t beat the peak of wave 1, I don’t think. And remember wave 1 was undercounted somewhat, probably.

That being said I think it’s quite possible we’ll not see cases dive down to low levels before the next winter wave. School is back in session and I’m not sure how that is going to go - probably not well! Whether we see much decline before the next wave or whether we just plateau and then go even higher into a separate but apparent continuation of the current wave, I do not know.

Last edited:

"Update: One hospital has denied Dr. Jason McElyea’s claim that ivermectin overdoses are causing emergency room backlogs and delays in medical care in rural Oklahoma, and Rolling Stone has been unable to independently verify any such cases as of the time of this update."

It turns out the story is fake. Northeastern Health System, which Dr. McElyea used to work with as a staffing agency said his report is completely false.
“Although Dr. Jason McElyea is not an employee of NHS Sequoyah, he is affiliated with a medical staffing group that provides coverage for our emergency room. With that said, Dr. McElyea has not worked at our Sallisaw location in over 2 months. NHS Sequoyah has not treated any patients due to complications related to taking ivermectin,” NHS said in a statement. “This includes not treating any patients for ivermectin overdose. All patients who have visited our emergency room have received medical attention as appropriate. Our hospital has not had to turn away any patients seeking emergency care. We want to reassure our community that our staff is working hard to provide quality healthcare to all patients. We appreciate the opportunity to clarify this issue and as always, we value our community’s support.”

Look at the deaths this wave in the UK relative to the prior wave. That is the effect of vaccination of the vulnerable population, in my opinion.

Also look at the age breakdown of their current case load.
Here is a composite with the deaths-graph slightly shifted to line up the January peaks (from worldometer):

UK_Cases.vs.Deaths_Worldometer.png