Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I certainly don’t have that much faith in my fourth dose of Moderna (changed it up) at this point, other than helping make it a bit more mild, and making it slightly possible I might be immune. I’ll line up for that fifth assuming no infections though. And no major variant change. Ran out of room on my card.
FWIW, a week ago (last Saturday), I was around a person for several hours who developed symptoms on Monday. So far nothing, so I guess I'm clear (I tested negative last week, but that was before last Saturday). No idea if the fourth Moderna helped or not. Because most of the time (over two hours) was spent in the X and she was in the second row seat, my guess is that the X and it's A/C system had more to do with not getting it than the fourth Moderna dose.

Looks like BA.5 and BA.4 in combination will probably take over by end of July. Not clear whether that will mean a significant increase in cases - will depend how sustained/long this the current wave is. While there will be lots of vaccine breakthrough (I’d guess boosted efficacy of 30-50% at best), it looks like prior Omicron breakthrough will probably be enough to prevent infection in many cases, at least for the next 3-4 months. So might not be that explosive, and I would guess will not exceed this current wave, even as BA.4/BA.5 become dominant.

A data point that seems appropriate for this thread. We received 2nd boosters (Pfizer) 2.5 weeks before traveling to NYC for a weekend trip (May 13-15). Masked w KN95 most of the time. You know how this goes.. Symptoms appeared the following Tuesday, wife first, then me. Antigen tests negative on Tuesday. Not better by Thursday, got rapid PCR. Positive for COVID. in so-far as I know, it didn’t identify the variant. I assume it was OMICRON. Started Paxlovid on Friday May 21. By Sunday symptoms abated. By Wed morning - last dose. All symptoms gone. So far no recurrence, Just tired. Our daughter met us there with her boyfriend. Thankfully neither of them got it. We stayed in separate rooms with a shared living room. Daughter is immuno-compromised, so very lucky (she had Moderna w 1 booster). My conclusion - masking is essential in all inside locations. And it doesn’t take much to get this. Vaccinations and boosters help, and anti - virals shorten cycle and lessen impact if you do get it. Exactly as described by Fauci.

Just wondering what situations were you unmasked and where you think you may have contracted it?
The wife’s theory is that she got it when she and the daughter got facials in a spa - not in hotel but at a place they found elsewhere. She was in a small closed room. Attendant wore mask, but if room wasn’t properly cleaned, that could be it. Daughter was in separate room, did not get it. Their facials were Saturday mid-day. Or in the elevators of hotel which are very small - she didn't wear mask once or twice. I think I started in once w/o it and then put it on. We saw a show on broadway, but everyone had masks on and we never took them off while there. We had them off in restaurants, but they were big and open. Wore masks at the MET, in every taxi, frequently on the street, in every store, on the train to/from the City. So, not too many attack vectors. For sure one of the two of us got it and infected the other. Since her symptoms appeared first (Tuesday morning, mine started Tuesday night) theory is she got it first.

Last edited:
My conclusion - masking is essential in all inside locations.

Yep. I still don’t know anyone who has got it when wearing an N95 in indoor locations. I assume the spa attendant was not wearing an N95, and the definition of “wearing” a mask may have been a bit loose.

Masks (N95 of course) are amazing. They could get us to COVID zero, but unfortunately this is the real world.

Yep. I still don’t know anyone who has got it when wearing an N95 in indoor locations. I assume the spa attendant was not wearing an N95, and the definition of “wearing” a mask may have been a bit loose.

Masks (N95 of course) are amazing. They could get us to COVID zero, but unfortunately this is the real world.
Yes. Looking back, it amazes me that procedure masks work as well as they appear to (meaning, at all).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Another paper saying not much evidence for long covid:
No mention of cardiac rhythm abnormalities, just TTEcho looking for structural cardiac abnormalities. My wife is a cardiologist and saw significant increases in cardiac arrhythmias, especially Atrial Fibrillation in post COVID patients. They also state that they are unable to biopsy heart, lung or brain cells to see if there were any abnormalities caused by a organ (non-systemic) autoimmune response. In the comments there were questions asking if blood clots in organs were investigated, and there has been no response. Micro clots have been suspected of being a possible cause of the pulmonary, cardiac and neurological issues of Long COVID. This study seems half-baked to me, as in not all potential issues were actually investigated. They primarily looked for systemic immunological markers.

Another paper saying not much evidence for long covid:
They said they didn't identify clinical markers for PASC among the tests they administered. They also frankly admitted a host of limitations in their study. That doesn't mean the condition doesn't exist. I thought it was fairly objectively done. But it was, as Madodel points out, limited in scope.

Say what you want about China, but it seems that they managed to beat Omicron in Shanghai:
Problem is they won’t be able to go back to normal without resurgence at some point. They need to get everyone boosted (and may as well also boost people AGAIN with a retargeted vaccine) if they don’t want to do this 1000 times.

It’s great they did it - every time they do they give themselves another chance to save a couple million people from preventable death. Now they just need to press their advantage so they can save those lives and dispense with (actual) lockdowns.

I haven’t heard about any such strategy shift, and it continues to be very odd. Clearly this is not sustainable.

Reactions: Jeff N
Family friend, been in Hawaii for the past 3 weeks, pretty sick with COVID. He is early 40s, athletic, no health problems. They can't return from Hawaii till he recovers (not hospitalized, but he describes it as "worse than any flu I have ever had").

3 full shots (Pfizer IIRC), last shot 3 months ago. The only point of note is his wife and kids had pretty strong reactions to the vaccine when they received it, but he did not. They are fine, worst symptoms are a mild cold.

Oral and nasal rinses with neutral electrolyzed water reduces Covid infections in unvaccinated health care workers.

"The presence of COVID‑19‑positive cases, in the group that received the
nasal and oral rinses with SES was 1.2%, while in the group
that did not do the SES rinses (control group), it was 12.7%
(P=0.0039 and RR=0.09405; 95% CI of 0.01231‑0.7183).
The prophylactic protocol was demonstrated as a protective
factor, in more than 90%, for developing the disease, and
without adverse effects."

Edit: I suppose a disclaimer is needed in case certain individuals come across this thread:
DO NOT INGEST BLEACH OR ANY OTHER CLEANING SOLUTIONS!

Last edited:
Oral and nasal rinses with neutral electrolyzed water reduces Covid infections in unvaccinated health care workers.

"The presence of COVID‑19‑positive cases, in the group that received the
nasal and oral rinses with SES was 1.2%, while in the group
that did not do the SES rinses (control group), it was 12.7%
(P=0.0039 and RR=0.09405; 95% CI of 0.01231‑0.7183).
The prophylactic protocol was demonstrated as a protective
factor, in more than 90%, for developing the disease, and
without adverse effects."

Edit: I suppose a disclaimer is needed in case certain individuals come across this thread:
DO NOT INGEST BLEACH OR ANY OTHER CLEANING SOLUTIONS!
I've been using electrolyzed water to wash fruit and vegetables since the beginning of Covid. I have an appliance that makes it. Just add salt (4 g) and vinegar (4.75 g). Never thought about using it as mouthwash.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
It’s definitely a little premature to make the call, though wastewater signals do confirm it in some areas (e.g. Massachusetts), but good news is that things appear to have largely peaked in the Northeast and the upper Upper Midwest. Maybe there will be a secondary surge or a Memorial Day celebratory surge, but for now appears to be easing off.

Definitely premature in San Diego. Was a temporary decline. Exponential growth continues apace, though one could argue there are slight signs of somewhat slower exponential growth. Will be interesting to see whether Memorial Day causes any significant change.

Warnings are going out to be careful now, which usually indicates a peak, lol.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 3.45.43 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
Problem is they won’t be able to go back to normal without resurgence at some point. They need to get everyone boosted (and may as well also boost people AGAIN with a retargeted vaccine) if they don’t want to do this 1000 times.

It’s great they did it - every time they do they give themselves another chance to save a couple million people from preventable death. Now they just need to press their advantage so they can save those lives and dispense with (actual) lockdowns.

I haven’t heard about any such strategy shift, and it continues to be very odd. Clearly this is not sustainable.
We will see. There is a lot of potential development that can change this at some point in the future. For now I think Xi is okay with making his country a hermit kingdom. It’s probably very aligned with Xi thought. Maybe in a few years China will have their own mRNA vaccines for all current and most future variants, with a stockpile of antivirals and decide to open up. Xi can claim that his actions saved millions of lives, tens of millions of long covid and that chinese communism is superior to western democracy. Meanwhile he got rid of a lot of opponents in Shanghai for their ”failures”, made people used to obeying the government and prepared his country to fight bio-terrorism if he ever decides to do some gain of function and release a pathogen…