Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's endemic. Except for the immunocompromised and those with serious medical conditions, I don't expect many severe cases moving forward.
One thing worrying me is that repeated covid infections might make you immunocompromised :-/

I recommend you all to do your best to optimize your immune systems. Do all the basic stuff: exercise, diet, sleep. Cut down on the bad stuff: smoking, drinking, processed foods etc. Do some bonus stuff: zinc, omega3, vit D, sauna, ice baths. This is a great book on the topic:

Last edited:
I'm hoping you meant a /s on the end there.

SARS-CoV-2 is not an immunodeficiency virus.

Not here to debate, here are some links to consider.
Summary of youtube video

(I don't think the science is settled, thus I worry)

Not here to debate, here are some links to consider.
Summary of youtube video

(I don't think the science is settled, thus I worry)

OK, we are talking VERY different things then.

It's common for viruses to down-regulate the immune system DURING an infection. It's almost universal (but via different mechanisms). It's how various viruses go through their propagation cycle. This is temporary and abates after the immune system mops up the virus.

But there is a special class of viruses referred to as immunodeficiency viruses (HIV being the classic example) that stick around long-term and down-regulate the immune system beyond the acute phase of infection. Coronaviruses are not historically immunodeficiency viruses.

OK, we are talking VERY different things then.

It's common for viruses to down-regulate the immune system DURING an infection. It's almost universal (but via different mechanisms). It's how various viruses go through their propagation cycle. This is temporary and abates after the immune system mops up the virus.

But there is a special class of viruses referred to as immunodeficiency viruses (HIV being the classic example) that stick around long-term and down-regulate the immune system beyond the acute phase of infection. Coronaviruses are not historically immunodeficiency viruses.
I was talking about after infection and the links I was linking was according to my interpretation talking about after infection. Anyway I was not here to debate this issue, even if you don't think that covid can cause immunodefiency, the advice is sound.

I was talking about after infection and the links I was linking was according to my interpretation talking about after infection. Anyway I was not here to debate this issue, even if you don't think that covid can cause immunodefiency, the advice is sound.
I'm waiting for more powerful evidence for ice baths before I take one.

I'm waiting for more powerful evidence for ice baths before I take one.

Try it, it's really nice! I take them almost daily now.

Reactions: DrGriz

First study could be entirely placebo effect and the results were minor:
"A routine (hot-to-) cold shower resulted in a statistical reduction of self-reported sickness absence but not illness days in adults without severe comorbidity."

Second study also minor results:
"It was concluded that the stress-inducing noninfectious stimuli, such as repeated cold water immersions, which increased metabolic rate due to shivering the elevated blood concentrations of catecholamines, activated the immune system to a slight extent. The biological significance of the changes observed remains to be elucidated."

First study could be entirely placebo effect and the results were minor:
"A routine (hot-to-) cold shower resulted in a statistical reduction of self-reported sickness absence but not illness days in adults without severe comorbidity."

Second study also minor results:
"It was concluded that the stress-inducing noninfectious stimuli, such as repeated cold water immersions, which increased metabolic rate due to shivering the elevated blood concentrations of catecholamines, activated the immune system to a slight extent. The biological significance of the changes observed remains to be elucidated."
Yeah, unfortuneately we don't have much better studies than those. There are some studies on athletes for recovery, but that's a different topic. There's ton of fringe anecdotal and weird stuff:

Anyway, they might be the cherry on the icing on the cake. Something to consider if you like it. I find that many people on the internet like to attack the weakest part of posts, ice baths were the weakest part of my post...

Anyway, I will see myself out of this thread now, sometimes these discussion can be a black hole you get pulled into...

I really liked the quote from the last article. "A thousand sow's ears, make not a pearl necklace."

Worth remembering!

Reactions: jerry33
7 weeks out April 12 2023 moving average changed again from 200 to 201. (It was 195 at the 5 week mark)
6 weeks out April 18 2023 moving average is 192 so even if it shifts again in a few days it's likely to stay below 200.

The trend is downwards but its so far in the rear view mirror it's not very useful for making a decision about wearing a mask tomorrow.

1685593214673.png

The trend is downwards but its so far in the rear view mirror it's not very useful for making a decision about wearing a mask tomorrow.
Deaths are always too far in the rear view mirror to make that decision. Especially on a nationwide basis. It doesn't hit every community at once, and some can be very out of sync. What's happening in Idaho is not what's happening in Manhattan. For us, by the time we know it is hitting our community it's already waning.

For myself, I look at the situation. If I am going to be indoors around a lot of people, especially sitting in one spot, for an extended period of time, I wear a mask.