Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
higKmdg.jpg

AEYxMf1.jpg

Via: COVID Data Tracker

Surprised this is in Kentucky and Texas.

Three school districts suspend in-person classes due to COVID-19, other illnesses

Still haven’t seen any stories about how severe cases are but my wife tells me at her hospital COVID19 numbers keep going up but unless someone has an underlying severe comorbidity no one is really very sick from Covid but in the hospital for other things.
That's what we have seen for the last year and a half. Admissions for other things and oh by the way just happen to be COVID-positive because we looked. That is likely way more common than appreciated as we do not test everyone any longer. I haven't seen classic COVID pneumonia, what actually killed folks in the past, in at least a year and a half.

That's what we have seen for the last year and a half. Admissions for other things and oh by the way just happen to be COVID-positive because we looked. That is likely way more common than appreciated as we do not test everyone any longer. I haven't seen classic COVID pneumonia, what actually killed folks in the past, in at least a year and a half.

I suspect the "spike" is back-to-school and all the kidos sharing their summer bugs. Hopefully will die down in a few weeks.

The Ongoing Mystery of Covid's Origin
(We still don't know how the pandemic started. Here's what we do know -- and why it matters.)
[may be paywalled]

Lab Leak or Wet Market? Why the Origins of COVID-19 Matter

The article is from late July and the interview is almost two weeks old but I couldn't find them posted here and I think they are important.

Why is it that the preponderance of evidence seems to be on the side of natural origins but the preponderance of public opinion is on the side of lab leak?

I wonder if people like this are delusional or they are evil in making up these lies?
The CDC didn’t say vaccinated people are more at risk of a new COVID variant than the unvaccinated
Early on in the pandemic I was a big fan of Dr. John Campbell and I would watch his videos almost every day starting in Jan 2020. When the virus was only known to be in China he was shouting from the rooftops that the WHO should shut down air travel to and from China. He was one of the first voices I heard predicting covid-19 (not yet named that) could blossom into a huge world-wide pandemic. It was like seeing a slow motion train wreck and being powerless to stop it.

IMO for the first year or two, he was one of the best sources of information on the pandemic. He was very pro-science and anti-conspiracy-theory. Then he slowly got disillusioned with the main stream scientific medical establishment, especially by the WHO. In his opinion they screwed up massively over and over because they kept putting politics above world health. Then in the aftermath of the crisis they didn't do anything to fix the system so they would be better prepared and able to act quickly to avert the next crisis.

He had a theory that the reason there was a heightened risk of heart problems after getting the vaccine was because people giving he injection were not instructed to aspirate, by pulling back the plunger slightly after inserting it to make sure they were not accidentally in a blood vessel. A small percentage of injections do go into a blood vessel and this can cause problems with the heart. I'm sorry for some of the vague language but I hope you get the picture.

He was basically stonewalled on this and was unable to get the guidelines for the injection procedure modified, adding a small step that was trivial to do, would cause no harm, and could potentially make the injections safer. He was also a big advocate for taking large doses of Vitamin D to (5,000 IU) help prevent respiratory infections.

He tried to fairly cover the fringe theories, based on published scientific papers and preprints, clearly explaining the results, the procedures, and how much credence the results deserve. I'm a scientist myself (PhD in theoretical physics) and I felt he was really good at explaining all of this. I recommended his channel to almost everyone I knew.

Then he slowly changed. One big factor was his getting fooled by the establishment. The first video of his that I strongly disagreed with came out around mid-February 2020 (I think) covering England's new covid policy. The policy was bonkers. They wanted to expose as many people to covid as quickly as possible in order to build up herd immunity. Dr. Campbell didn't immediately see the stupidity of this and reported on it like it was a good thing. His trust in the establishment was misplaced and he was embarrassed.

That sort of thing kept happening but probably not to the extent of that first SNAFU. By trying to report on the bleeding edge science he kept encountering shenanigans that seemed designed for CYA and to push an agenda instead of follow the truth. It wasn't all shenanigans but his strong faith in medical science was shaken, and probably rightly so.

IMO another big factor in his conversion was a very vocal contingent of conspiracy theorists in his comments. They would praise him to high heaven when he reported on problems with the establishment while still ignoring most of his scientifically based advice (wear a mask, get vaccinated, etc). I have no proof but I suspect this cheer leading helped steer him in the direction of questioning the establishment more and more.

I slowly stopped watching his channel, probably because the information he provided no longer seemed so critically important. Then when I would occasionally start to watch his videos over, say, the past six months they seemed more wackadoodle, and conspiracy laden. For me, your (@madodel) linking to proof this video of his was misleading was the final straw. Thank you!

BTW: Dr. Campbell is not a medical doctor. He has a PhD in nursing and has written several large textbooks which he is letting people have for free (pdf). He is an excellent teacher.

Looks like (so far) The “Pirola” variant is going to be ok. However future evolution remains possible/likely. It may get squashed by growth of other variants but hard to predict.

Vaccine booster update should work well. Seems like the booster should come soon, because after a brief lull, it seems possible that further rapid growth in cases could occur.

I continue to hear about people who have not had COVID getting it for the first time. And I had a close call myself (someone who came into the house briefly became ill a day or two later, and we were unmasked).

I finally got myself an Aranet 4 (cheaper than they used to be!) and have been checking out CO2 levels. The rock climbing gym is surprisingly sky high - 1500ppm, which is similar to the inside of the Tesla with a couple passengers (need to do some more testing on recirc/no recirc). So: glad I wear my vented N95 at the gym when I am breathing 3% of others breath. Carbon Dioxide and the Air You Rebreathe - Energy Vanguard

IMG_8723.jpeg

Recently stocked up on my N95 masks. Lots of air travel coming up so lots of risks, some uncontrollable (not the flights) so we’ll see if I make it through. I say 80% chance of success, but I do not anticipate the mask failing. Still don’t know anyone who has gotten COVID while wearing a real mask.

Recently stocked up on my N95 masks. Lots of air travel coming up so lots of risks, some uncontrollable (not the flights) so we’ll see if I make it through. I say 80% chance of success, but I do not anticipate the mask failing. Still don’t know anyone who has gotten COVID while wearing a real mask.

Just out of curiosuty, do you personally have some risk factors, or are you in "prepping" stealth mode for some other reason?

Reactions: DanCar
do you personally have some risk factors, or are you in "prepping" stealth mode for some other reason?
No risk factors other than being in my 40s. I am healthier than most people.

Never had COVID so why start now right before an updated vaccine is available to make things less severe and reduce viral load and likelihood of any potential complications?

My wife has risk factors (often needed breathing treatments with a cold prior to 2020).

I don’t like being sick, it’s bad for me, and it appears nearly completely preventable, so why not try - it basically does not impact how I live except in minor ways (minimal indoor eating primarily). I need my lungs to live my life the way I want, so I want to think I did the best I could.

As far as prepping is concerned I like to pay low prices for my masks so may as well get them now. Probably have enough to get through winter.

I may still get COVID. I am not following a strict strategy to make risk near zero.

No risk factors other than being in my 40s. I am healthier than most people.

Never had COVID so why start now right before an updated vaccine is available to make things less severe and reduce viral load and likelihood of any potential complications?

My wife has risk factors (often needed breathing treatments with a cold prior to 2020).

I don’t like being sick, it’s bad for me, and it appears nearly completely preventable, so why not try - it basically does not impact how I live except in minor ways (minimal indoor eating primarily). I need my lungs to live my life the way I want, so I want to think I did the best I could.

As far as prepping is concerned I like to pay low prices for my masks so may as well get them now. Probably have enough to get through winter.

I may still get COVID. I am not following a strict strategy to make risk near zero.

Understood. We are same age and have kids who are exposed all the time (kindergarten) so as soon as the "flu like" covid variants came out, we try to get as exposed as possible, to keep up immunity (we parents had first two vaccine shots, but omicron came before we got the third).

If covid variants were to take a more harsh turn (and if they would also escape any immunity we have), we would go back into any reasonable stealth mode we could maintain given the risks and factors. Ofcourse when risk is not known it is better to exaggerate to the safe side.

Currently just trying to keep a finger on the pulse of what's going on so thanks for your perspective. Meanwhile, I have developed a thyroid issue and I just hope it is not because of the vaccines. Difficult to conclude since I did not know to test it before, during, and after, only recently.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Looks like (so far) The “Pirola” variant is going to be ok. However future evolution remains possible/likely. It may get squashed by growth of other variants but hard to predict.

Vaccine booster update should work well. Seems like the booster should come soon, because after a brief lull, it seems possible that further rapid growth in cases could occur.

I continue to hear about people who have not had COVID getting it for the first time. And I had a close call myself (someone who came into the house briefly became ill a day or two later, and we were unmasked).

I finally got myself an Aranet 4 (cheaper than they used to be!) and have been checking out CO2 levels. The rock climbing gym is surprisingly sky high - 1500ppm, which is similar to the inside of the Tesla with a couple passengers (need to do some more testing on recirc/no recirc). So: glad I wear my vented N95 at the gym when I am breathing 3% of others breath. Carbon Dioxide and the Air You Rebreathe - Energy Vanguard

View attachment 970657

Thanks for the Aranet 4 info. I had never heard of it before. (and I'm still wearing N95 and still COVID free. Next vaccine on Monday)

Next vaccine on Monday
I had heard mid-September. Guess I need to schedule mine ASAP since I could get it before some travel. Might still be screwed with my wife traveling now though.

Aranet 4 is also useful for barometric pressure; was cool to see Hilary move through.

Car gets to 1500ppm with two humans and three small dogs on fresh air, and exceeds 2000ppm on recirc. So 1500-1600 for the gym is pretty bad. Huge volume; must be nearly all recirc (which I guess most buildings would be, but they don’t air-condition this one so not sure why not fresh air…).

Reactions: madodel
It's still quite reasonable to try not to get COVID as much as possible. While the risk of severe disease and death may be low for many, long covid is a consequence to be avoided. And, while severe disease is a significant risk factor for disease, there are other risk factors and it's worth taking steps to avoid, beyond getting acute covid as much as possible. Long covid prevalence is around 25% overall.

Long covid prevalence seems to be:

highest among those aged 35–44 years (27.6%, 95% CI = 19.3%–37.8%)
(read the whole article for details).

In particular, female sex, older age, higher BMI, and smoking were significantly associated with increased risk of persistent symptoms of 3 months or more after the acute phase of COVID-19 infection

I had heard mid-September. Guess I need to schedule mine ASAP since I could get it before some travel. Might still be screwed with my wife traveling now though.

Aranet 4 is also useful for barometric pressure; was cool to see Hilary move through.

Car gets to 1500ppm with two humans and three small dogs on fresh air, and exceeds 2000ppm on recirc. So 1500-1600 for the gym is pretty bad. Huge volume; must be nearly all recirc (which I guess most buildings would be, but they don’t air-condition this one so not sure why not fresh air…).
Denise was told she received the new vaccine last week.