Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New CDC guidelines were to drag your feet on developing a working diagnostic test
First off, testing has very limited utility in a population that ignores social distancing and public health measures to reduce the risk of transmission.
Second (and this requires confirmation) the CDC test failure was reportedly due to a decision to use a trump associated company for test development. Don't blame the CDC for that, blame the sociopath who gave the directive.

Last, the poll did not ask for finger pointing, it asked about the perceived severity of the Covid-19 epidemic.Those that identify as Republicans are much more likely to take their cues from the sociopath in the White House, and they are twice as likely as Democrats to not view the Covid-19 epidemic as a real threat.

It seems fairly obvious that people who do not view the epidemic as a real threat are the primary vectors since they will not follow public health guidelines to reduce transmission.

Know your enemy.

Last edited:
First off, testing has very limited utility in a population that ignores social distancing and public health measures to reduce the risk of transmission.
Second (and this requires confirmation) the CDC test failure was reportedly due to a decision to use a trump associated company for test development. Don't blame the CDC for that, blame the sociopath who gave the directive.

Last, the poll did not ask for finger pointing, it asked about the perceived severity of the Covid-19 epidemic.

Didn’t say anything about finger pointing. Polls like that are hard to get good data off of. It will say what you want it to say.

Didn’t blame the CDC. My original post was calling out all the people in charge who screwed this up. Then responded to another post about how CDC guidelines were followed.

Pollution likely makes things worse with Covid19.
This is probably one of the reasons the Lombardy numbers are so bad: that's one of the worse regions in Italy for PM10.
Air pollution likely to increase coronavirus death rate, warn experts

Don't downplay this thinking the US is too wide and large: the problem will never be Arkansas or Utah, but Los Angeles, New York, Chicago. Dense cities will be enough for nightmarish scenarios.

Last edited:
DISCLAIMER: Avert your eyes (or better -- put me on ignore) if you make yourself outraged by the sharing of information other than from peer-reviewed RCTs in Nature.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.20031096v1

CONCLUSION People with blood group A have a significantly higher risk for acquiring COVID-19 compared with non-A blood groups, whereas blood group O has a significantly lower risk for the infection compared with non-O blood groups.

View attachment 522676

Could be a hoax. Keep reading that twitter thread. Or not. But the paper with a promised controlled trial hasn't been released yet.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
DISCLAIMER: Avert your eyes (or better -- put me on ignore) if you make yourself outraged by the sharing of information other than from peer-reviewed RCTs in Nature.

CONCLUSION People with blood group A have a significantly higher risk for acquiring COVID-19 compared with non-A blood groups, whereas blood group O has a significantly lower risk for the infection compared with non-O blood groups.

View attachment 522676

Interesting, you posted a study that is scientifically rigorous and well-presented. This one I can get behind.

For those that don't want to read the whole article, here are the important numbers:
Blood group A - higher risk for COVID-19 (odds ratio-OR, 1.20; 95% confidence interval-CI 1.02~1.43, P = 0.02)
Blood group O - lower risk for COVID-19 (OR, 0.67; 95% CI 0.60~0.75, P < 0.001)

For those not versed in statistics, the OR (Odds Ratio) and P values are the key numbers her. An OR of 1.0 by definition means the two groups you are comparing are equal for the specific comparison.

So in this case, Blood group A OR = 1.20 means that individuals in Wuhan with Blood group A had a 20% higher chance of infection compared to the average. Conversely, Blood group O individuals, with an OR = 0.67, had a 23% less chance of infection.

Both are statistically significant because the P values are less than 0.05.

Could be a hoax. Keep reading that twitter thread. Or not. But the paper with a promised controlled trial hasn't been released yet.

This one is just a data reporting paper, with well-done statistics. There is no intervention, so a random controlled trial is not applicable.

COVID-19 has some interesting preferences for infection. We know:
1) older people have a higher mortality rate
2) males have a higher mortality rate
. . . and now . . .
3) Those with blood group type A are at higher risk for contracting the virus

I have been telling people to take advantage of restaurant delivery/carryout while they can in case of future closures. Plus it helps these businesses stay afloat and keeps the bills paid for employees. Tip drivers well as it's one of the most dangerous jobs normally.

I sent a bunch of pizzas to my local ER, fire/EMS station, and PD station last night. I figure these people are going to have a really shitty month so may as well show them some love.

View attachment 522676
My O blood may come in handy? Sweet. I'm off to go lick some things.

But at the same time, those are not the companies that are going to be given the stimulus package, if it was to be implemented. It'd likely be sucked up by the mega corporations, such as the Airline industries, and those small(er) companies would get scraps, if anything.

Airlines should be required to improve their service before getting any kind of bailout. Every year it becomes more and more painful to fly.

Guys, has this tweet been discussed? Is this potentially legit?

Gregory Rigano on Twitter

Been over that several times in this thread. Hydroxychroloquine and chroloquine both have shown since the 1960s anti-viral properties in vitro (i.e. a testtube). The problem is those properties have never once translated over to in vivo (in people).

There are ongoing studies that have been fastracked due to the current pandemic, but my official medical opinion is that I would not hold your breath for this to pan out.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and X Fan
Couple of notes:

Young folks are accused of not following social distancing rules (sorry, WSJ article so may be pay wall): A Generational War Is Brewing Over Coronavirus

Testing is improving both in quantity (Thermo Fisher shipping millions of kits this and next week with ramp up capability to 5M per week) and efficiency: as I've noted, my youngest son is a Dr. at UNC Hospitals. Their research team has developed a test that can provide results in 4 hours (update: first few hours this morning, they had 54 tested. 52 negative, 1 admit, 1 sent home for quarantine). Their protocol is to sample and first test for flu and other viruses and then, if negative, the sample is used to test for Covid-19.

Meanwhile, I'm on day 3 of my isolation with symptoms mild.

Last edited:
Couple of notes:

Young folks are accused of not following social distancing rules (sorry, WSJ article so may be pay wall): A Generational War Is Brewing Over Coronavirus

Testing is improving both in quantity (Thermo Fisher shipping millions of kits this and next week with ramp up capability to 5M per week) and efficiency: as I've noted, my youngest son is a Dr. at UNC Hospitals. Their research team has developed a test that can provide results in 4 hours. Their protocol is to sample and first test for flu and other viruses and then if negative the sample is used to test for Covid-19.

Saw a related article on Spring Break in FL right now. The beaches were packed with kids.

Saw a related article on Spring Break in FL right now. The beaches were packed with kids.

Yes, Florida has not taken the necessary steps in all markets to reduce social interaction. Miami Beach & Orlando has (via Disney shutting down) but other beach areas are continuing as business as usual.

Gov. of this State has shown competency in the Environment, Conservation and improving water quality but I believe he should be shutting down beach sites, loss of tourist revenue be dammed.

Couple of notes:

Testing is improving both in quantity (Thermo Fisher shipping millions of kits this and next week with ramp up capability to 5M per week) and efficiency: as I've noted, my youngest son is a Dr. at UNC Hospitals. Their research team has developed a test that can provide results in 4 hours. Their protocol is to sample and first test for flu and other viruses and then if negative the sample is used to test for Covid-19.

Unfortunately shipping is not the same as using. Many hospitals are still significantly restricting tests