Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be starting to sell part of the puts I bought as insurance. Reports from multiple countries with existing drug seemingly showing efficacy dealing with the virus - might take a little while for the market to realize (just like how long it took the US market to be impacted).

And last night I ordered another book online in the James Rollins Sigma Force series I’ve been reading since the shutdown expires 4/7. Finished “The 6th Extinction” and most way done with “the 7th Plague”. Enjoy the author, fast paced stories, characters and believe it or not started reading before all this coronavirus started. 7th Plague even revolves around Mark Twain and his best bud Nikola Tesla—boy that make me laugh! Very unexpected name out of the blue.

After one week already, feeling tired of being at home.

Reactions: ohmman
If you believe in stats from South Korea?....I would say it is already known to some.
This has been posted here before:

None of that is a randomized control trial. The SK population is much younger, and therefore expected to have a lower mortality rate.

I went over all this 1-2 days ago, did a deep dive into the literature, and it turns out ALL these recommendations for chloroquine are because of a single 100 patient Chinese "study". The problem is that the Chinese have refused to release their data to the rest of the world for over a month now. Just today there were more calls from the scientific community calling that study a likely red hearing, at best, or falsified data, at worst.

Until they release IN VIVO (in person data) or someone else does a IN VIVO study, I'm not believing it. Chloroquine has been shown since the 1960s to kill many different viruses in vitro (test tube) experiments. None of them have ever panned out in actual patients. Zilch.

have we talked about UV-C light, yet? how about 'far uv-c' ?

I'm reading up on it (the simpler to read stuff) and found this link: Human-safe ultraviolet light used to kill airborne viruses

what's the current thought on uv, uv-c and the far stuff, re: this virus?

should we be buying uv-c lights, now?

In theory it would work, but the practical implementation would be very hard because of the reduction of radiant intensity as a square of distance. I have no idea how bright they would have to be to work at say . . . 5 ft.

• Helpful
Reactions: CatB and pilotSteve
The USA found ~1800 new cases today, growing our case count a whopping 38% in a single day. This huge jump is great news, because it shows testing is finally starting to ramp. I expect the count to grow rapidly for a while as we catch up, but all this data will paint a picture we can use to plan responses instead of all these random semi-lockdowns.

Map: Tracking The Spread Of The Coronavirus In The U.S.

Is this where you are getting the information? Trying to find good sites that display the information in a relevant and timely way..

• Helpful
Reactions: X Fan and bkp_duke
In theory it would work, but the practical implementation would be very hard because of the reduction of radiant intensity as a square of distance. I have no idea how bright they would have to be to work at say . . . 5 ft.
This is how I am turning a small stash of N95’s into an infinite supply. One minute in the shoebox-sized UV chamber per side ought to fry everything they catch.
Robin

I'm thinking a box, almost like they use to clear old EEPROM (chips that had clear windows and were UV erasable). or the new 3d print tech that uses UV light to cure the printed object. something where you keep it close and perhaps use a reflective inside (like a photography 'light box' but keeping all the light and object inside). put it on a timer. for how long? don't know. 15 mins or 30 mins maybe?

there - a DIY "uv-c corona cooker" (uvc3 for short) ;)

I'm thinking a box, almost like they use to clear old EEPROM (chips that had clear windows and were UV erasable). or the new 3d print tech that uses UV light to cure the printed object. something where you keep it close and perhaps use a reflective inside (like a photography 'light box' but keeping all the light and object inside). put it on a timer. for how long? don't know. 15 mins or 30 mins maybe?

there - a DIY "uv-c corona cooker" (uvc3 for short) ;)

Amazon.com: uv phone cleaner

Reactions: AZRI11
None of that is a randomized control trial. The SK population is much younger, and therefore expected to have a lower mortality rate.

I went over all this 1-2 days ago, did a deep dive into the literature, and it turns out ALL these recommendations for chloroquine are because of a single 100 patient Chinese "study". The problem is that the Chinese have refused to release their data to the rest of the world for over a month now. Just today there were more calls from the scientific community calling that study a likely red hearing, at best, or falsified data, at worst.

Until they release IN VIVO (in person data) or someone else does a IN VIVO study, I'm not believing it. Chloroquine has been shown since the 1960s to kill many different viruses in vitro (test tube) experiments. None of them have ever panned out in actual patients. Zilch.
Sure, there is no "proof" but I can't imagine having 14x less "severe" cases where Chloroquine is in use in SK vs Italy cannot be entirely attributed to demographic.If that means nothing to you that's fine I'm not here to argue. Had I got a severe case I'd give it a shot, considering I feel at risk with some respiratory issues.

I think I currently have NCOV, attempting to get tested, but seems to be on its way out already after a very minor sore throat and a headache or two so I doubt they will let me. If that was it, it was the least debilitating sickness I've ever had..... Not to say that is the case for everybody obviously hence my self quarantine but for most it will be. I was planning to be very cautious but officials had only said one case here on the island a week ago, so I for some reason actually believed it was somewhere around there. Went to the gym and immediately got coughed on by the receptionist, saw 5 other sickly looking people and promptly walked out.

Sure, there is no "proof" but I can't imagine having 14x less "severe" cases where Chloroquine is in use in SK vs Italy cannot be entirely attributed to demographic.If that means nothing to you that's fine I'm not here to argue. Had I got a severe case I'd give it a shot, considering I feel at risk with some respiratory issues.

I think I currently have NCOV, attempting to get tested, but seems to be on its way out already after a very minor sore throat and a headache or two so I doubt they will let me. If that was it, it was the least debilitating sickness I've ever had..... Not to say that is the case for everybody obviously hence my self quarantine but for most it will be. I was planning to be very cautious but officials had only said one case here on the island a week ago, so I for some reason actually believed it was somewhere around there. Went to the gym and immediately got coughed on by the receptionist, saw 5 other sickly looking people and promptly walked out.

It's the demographics. Population in Italy is OLD.

Plus they didn't do social distancing until late

Reactions: ohmman