Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the demographics. Population in Italy is OLD.

Plus they didn't do social distancing until late
Best I can see is Italy is 22.8% over 65 years - Italy: share of elderly population 2009-2019 | Statista
South Korea 15% About 15 pct of S. Korea's population aged 65 or older: report | Yonhap News Agency
Social distancing has nothing to do with % of severe cases. Larger infected number just gives a more accurate percent. Social distancing comes in when we talk death rate because there is not enough medical support for this many severe cases, annnd the death rate goes way up because they don't get the treatment they need.
To be clear that's 14X more "severe" cases measured as a >>percentage of total confirmed cases<< edit, it's 16X
0.49% of SK is serious @ 36 of 7513
7.99% of Italy is serious @ 733 of 9172
5.9% of China is serious @ 4794 of 80754
There has to be more at play than demographics.
This chart is definitely a few days old now but same one from the video.

skorea.JPG

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: shootformoon
Best I can see is Italy is 22.8% over 65 years - Italy: share of elderly population 2009-2019 | Statista
South Korea 15% About 15 pct of S. Korea's population aged 65 or older: report | Yonhap News Agency
Social distancing has nothing to do with % of severe cases. Larger infected number just gives a more accurate percent. Now social distancing comes in because there is not enough medical support for this many severe cases, annnd the death rate goes way up because they don't get the treatment they need.
To be clear that's 14X more "severe" cases measured as a >>percentage of total confirmed cases<< edit- I was mistaken, it's 12X. But still.
0.49% of SK is serious @ 36 of 7513
5.9% of Italy is serious @ 4794 of 80754
This chart is definitely a few days old now but same one from the video.

View attachment 522956

This a great question in the end. Why SK get off easy compared to Italy? Is it all about the surge and available beds? I don’t get it.

This a great question in the end. Why SK get off easy compared to Italy? Is it all about the surge and available beds? I don’t get it.
The big difference seems to be treating cases with Chloroquine, hence my whole debate. What is South Korea doing differently?? The world needs to know!
They don't need as many beds because they don't have it escalating to "serious" status by a huge margin.
Which is huge because even if you avoid dying, serious can certainly mean lung scarring/damage. I'm making the assumption that serious means the patient is hospitalized and or on life support.

The big difference seems to be treating cases with Chloroquine, hence my whole debate. What is South Korea doing differently?? The world needs to know!
They don't need as many beds because they don't have it escalating to "serious" status by a huge margin.
Which is huge because even if you avoid dying, serious can certainly mean lung scarring/damage. I'm making the assumption that serious means the patient is hospitalized and or on life support.

So you believe that chloroquine / hydroxychloroquine is the reason SK is OK. Why the resistance from everyone else when they have had such a large and successful test run much to the joy of their population? What am I missing here?

South Korea's patient 31 (superspreader) was in a cult, particularly heavy demographics was 20-29yr old.
upload_2020-3-18_13-18-52.png

there is a second peak at 50-59yr olds, presumably the parents of the 20-29yr olds.

i would assume there are more females than males in the cult, but no evidence, but either way, much less smoking than general public.
i would also assume the average weight of a south korean female is less than 50kg (before they become mothers), so low comorbidity (diabetes, heart disease, kidney etc)

(until shown otherwise, i would tend to expect a south korean cult to follow similar health behaviors as Latter Day Saints, regards to smoking etc)

so in general, young, female, non smoker, low BMI.

No and Yes
it seems to be a real deal but not the real real.
I remember this as an antimalarial drug used by Lupus sufferers. Long term there is risk of eyesight failure, but that seems a long term risk Drug spotlight on hydroxychloroquine

Why are you talking about long term risks when the recommendations are for a five day course of twelve tablets of HCQ?

Reactions: bhzmark
So you believe that chloroquine / hydroxychloroquine is the reason SK is OK. Why the resistance from everyone else when they have had such a large and successful test run much to the joy of their population? What am I missing here?
I'm not an expert on this. The medcram video linked earlier seemed to imply that the only different thing SK was doing (aside from mass testing, but that's a different issue) The discrepancy on the serious cases is WAY too high for me to just hand wave away and say it's nothing. They are doing something, I don't know if it is Chloroquine, or something else, but it sure seems significant!

South Korea's patient 31 (superspreader) was in a cult, particularly heavy demographics was 20-29yr old.
View attachment 522960
there is a second peak at 50-59yr olds, presumably the parents of the 20-29yr olds.

i would assume there are more females than males in the cult, but no evidence, but either way, much less smoking than general public.
i would also assume the average weight of a south korean female is less than 50kg (before they become mothers), so low comorbidity (diabetes, heart disease, kidney etc)

(until shown otherwise, i would tend to expect a south korean cult to follow similar health behaviors as Latter Day Saints, regards to smoking etc)

so in general, young, female, non smoker, low BMI.

(I mean, that puts people over 65 at 23.3% VS Italy's 22.8) You sure the cult demographic is so great? Non smoking should help but then there's Germany to ruin that statistic. 1600% difference can not be explained this easily!

Although I will offer one very possible reason. SK Mass testing would produce a lot of positives on people with little to no symptoms, who may not get tested in other countries around the world.

Map: Tracking The Spread Of The Coronavirus In The U.S.

Is this where you are getting the information? Trying to find good sites that display the information in a relevant and timely way..
I mostly use the Worldometers site, just because I got used to using it before I saw some of the others.
What is South Korea doing differently?? The world needs to know!
South Korea's serious/critical count makes no sense. It's been stuck on exactly 59 for days, even as ~15 patients perished.

Also, South Korea tracks contacts and tests almost obsessively (e.g. Love Motel article above). Italy.... does not. SK's 8k+ cases is a reasonable approximation of total infections. Italy has 30k known cases but probably 200k+ undetected ones. Two vastly different denominators.

Last edited:
It'll probably end up being Remdesivir for the rich and Hydrochloroquin for the poor.
The caveat is, if this works so well. How come we don't hear much about the chloroquin trials in China? Why is the Hydroxy version better?

Disclaimer: I own Gilead who manufacturers Remdesivir.

Have not heard anything about Remdesivir. Nada. Not even bull anecdotal which most people here are equating HCQ stories too. Being used for a couple of months now and nothing.

Hard to imagine it has been working and no one has shared. Stock has not showed much either.

disclaimer: I own Gilead too.

Reactions: bhzmark
It'll probably end up being Remdesivir for the rich and Hydrochloroquin for the poor.
The caveat is, if this works so well. How come we don't hear much about the chloroquin trials in China? Why is the Hydroxy version better?

Disclaimer: I own Gilead who manufacturers Remdesivir.

Hydrox is less toxic metabolite of chloroquine

The only trial or report we hear from China is a report on 100 pts. They have yet to release specific data besides that it works or has some effect.

Now they are saying azithromycin in conjunction with hydroxychlorquine should be used.

Twitter

Last edited: