Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it was unbelievable, so I read the article. His full quote was:

“I know that other people are having a great problem. And someone reminded me that in Italy, they have a lot of garment-people there, fashionists, and they have a tremendous amount of Chinese there, and that’s where a lot of it started,” he said. “So we don’t necessarily have any [Chinese people], but I think the board would like to make sure that we’re on top of it, and the board will decide on that part.”

The “board” being the county and state health boards.

more of that guy's greatness:

“Well, they say it came out of China, and I’m not putting it past the Chinese government in communist China,” Rodriguez said. “Normally, this kind of thing spreads slowly […] I put two and two together. I’ve been around a long time, girl.”

he's a moron. I hope you're not defending him.

Marathon runner is professional athlete and if he is in period of haevy running and training his immunity is very vulnerable. Not an average person. At least in Estonia most people in corona have very mild symptoms. But probably people in north are better prepared for raspiratory symptoms fight.
You said healthy people - and everyone would think a marathon runner is healthy.

Obviously with 80% of the cases being “mild”, the average person is ok. That is not the issue.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
I don't know if the story about ibuprofen (as well as common medicines used in hypertension) has been reported here yet that it may be a risk factor for more severe Covid-19 disease.
This Lancet letter is the inciting publication. It is interesting speculation.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2213-2600(20)30116-8

The pharmacobiology is sound, but the reasoning presupposes that cellular viral invasion is receptor limited

Yeah, Florida to me is the ticking time bomb of this all. Slow to react, highly aged population, and a lot of people going to and coming from. It won't look good in a week, and probably pretty horrifying in two.

Probably right but I can tell you that the older folks I know in Collier County have been implementing social distancing for quite some time. That may explain that despite tremendous influx of visitors (plus many from NY/Boston/Illinois) the positive count is still below 20 (testing availability is good too).

I do worry about Miami-St. Lauderdale-up to the Palm Beach areas which have a much higher population base. Throw in many senior citizens coupled with a large number of young people (who have been ignoring the social distancing suggesting and then mandates) and the mix could be toxic.

I put together this quick snippet of data from worldometer info. This is US data. Looks like Elon is right. New case rate increase peaked 3 days ago. The usefulness of this data highly depends on what is going on with testing. Presumably we have more testing going on now (anyone have numbers for number of people tested?), but it's possible we're not keeping up with the exponentially more number of people that should be tested. And criteria for who should be tested can change. So, as usual, lots of confounding issues with this simple data set. Nonetheless, it's interesting.

upload_2020-3-20_17-29-16.png

I put together this quick snippet of data from worldometer info. This is US data. Looks like Elon is right. New case rate increase peaked 3 days ago. The usefulness of this data highly depends on what is going on with testing. Presumably we have more testing going on now (anyone have numbers for number of people tested?), but it's possible we're not keeping up with the exponentially more number of people that should be tested. And criteria for who should be tested can change. So, as usual, lots of confounding issues with this simple data set. Nonetheless, it's interesting.

View attachment 523829
First, today is not over yet.
Second, I agree it's very unlikely we'll see an increase in new cases of 78% in a single day again unless everyone decides to stop testing for a day. Yay!
I don't think it means anything. How do explain two days before when it only increased by 6%? Seems like noisy data. As the numbers get larger and it spreads across the whole country it will get much smoother.

Also listen to Ben Swann, how skewed is fatality rate, because mostly elderly and sever cases are getting tested around the world.
Why ? He is not an epidemiologist. When I want to learn more about FSD, I don’t watch this guy - but someone who is an expert in AI/NN etc.

Second, as a rule I don’t watch anyone claiming to tell “the truth”. It’s a dead giveaway.

ps : general rant. In their own field of study/work, people listen to experts. But when it comes to something else they start saying experts are frauds. We need to solve this to get back to healthy conversations as a society.

First, today is not over yet.

Yes, it is, Worldometer uses GMT days.

Second, I agree it's very unlikely we'll see an increase in new cases of 78% in a single day again unless everyone decides to stop testing for a day. Yay!
I don't think it means anything. How do explain two days before when it only increased by 6%? Seems like noisy data. As the numbers get larger and it spreads across the whole country it will get much smoother.

Of course it is noisy data. March 15 was a Sunday, so maybe that had something to do with the odd number.

Three data points does not make a trend and I'm not suggesting this data is actionable. But it may be something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
COVID-19 Treatment Might Already Exist In Old Drugs – We’re Using Pieces Of The Coronavirus Itself To Find Them - dotlah!

Facing this crisis, we assembled a team here at the Quantitative Biosciences Institute (QBI) at the University of California, San Francisco, to discover how the virus attacks cells. But instead of trying to create a new drug based on this information, we are first looking to see if there are any drugs available today that can disrupt these pathways and fight the coronavirus......

I think this is encouraging. But what is the time frame of the possible solutions?

Reactions: AZRI11 and EinSV
more of that guy's greatness:

“Well, they say it came out of China, and I’m not putting it past the Chinese government in communist China,” Rodriguez said. “Normally, this kind of thing spreads slowly […] I put two and two together. I’ve been around a long time, girl.”

he's a moron. I hope you're not defending him.

I think when he added 2 and 2 together he didn’t get 4...“Boy”! So he’s experienced in these type of SARs related diseases and spread. His words just give away so much of what he’s like as a person. He is doing a disservice to those he represents with his lack of knowledge on the subject.

View attachment 523829
Knowing nothing about testing etc I’d still say it’s over interpreting data. It looks basically chaotic.

This is what you expect when testing is highly constrained. At various points constraints are getting relaxed in various states, which makes the number jump around. What I want to see is hospitalization and ICU data.

I hope those who think Florida will be hit super hard are wrong but difficult to say that. We have had all bars and nightclubs closed. Many beaches have closed (local beach today) and groups of >10 have to disperse. Personally I am hoping word of alcohol and beach unavailability will keep next batch of spring breakers away or at least make them return home quickly. Homes for the elderly have been denied visitors for a while and new push for vetting all outside workers and contractors has begun. Our governor did not make the tough decisions early enough but many local governments have stepped forward, in particular regarding closure of beaches. Vacation rentals are restricted in my county to groups of ten although many are advertised for groups of 20. Hope this discourages visitors. Interviews of beach goers ignoring the 10 people groupings of the beach have mostly revealed an attitude of "this is our spring break so we will take the chance" or "the danger to us is very small".

Restaurants are closed also excerpt for drive through or carry out.

Last edited:

View attachment 523829

I posted this earlier did you see it?

https://i.imgur.com/VWRkXeN.png

I hope those who think Florida will be hit super hard are wrong but difficult to say that. We have had all bars and nightclubs closed. Many beaches have closed (local beach today) and groups of >10 have to disperse. Personally I am hoping word of alcohol and beach unavailability will keep next batch of spring breakers away or at least make them return home quickly. Homes for the elderly have been denied visitors for a while and new push for vetting all outside workers and contractors has begun. Our governor did not make the tough decisions early enough but many local governments have stepped forward, in particular regarding closure of beaches. Vacation rentals are restricted in my county to groups of ten although many are advertised for groups of 20. Hope this discourages visitors. Interviews of beach goers ignoring the 10 people groupings of the beach have mostly revealed an attitude of "this is our spring break so we will take the chance" or "the danger to us is very small".

Restaurants are closed also excerpt for drive through or carry out.
My impression is the heavy younger crowd and retirees are somewhat geographically separated. Younger being more southish and older folks in the northern parts. Is that right ?

Also warmer, more humid areas may inhibit the virus.

Anyway, Florida and NYC are currently the unknowns. I don’t think the rest of the country will ever get to Italy level fatalities.

ps : SoCal too ?