Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Italy has already had 240 deaths from the flu this flu season as of mid-Jan (https://www.thelocal.it/20200123/flu-outbreak-in-italy-half-a-million-people-struck-down-in-a-week). They've had over 4000 deaths from COVID-19. Looks more deadly to me...
In mid-January the health system was not overrun. That's not to say that COVID-19 isn't more deadly, because I'm sure it is, but this particular comparison doesn't appear to be correct. Would it be more deadly if there was no flu vaccine? Hard to say.

Reactions: dhrivnak
In mid-January the health system was not overrun. That's not to say that COVID-19 isn't more deadly, because I'm sure it is, but this particular comparison doesn't appear to be correct. Would it be more deadly if there was no flu vaccine? Hard to say.
You could say getting hit by lightning is much more deadly than the flu or COVID-19. I was making the point that you're more likely to die from COVID-19 than the flu which is what that ridiculous video is about.

You could say getting hit by lightning is much more deadly than the flu or COVID-19. I was making the point that you're more likely to die from COVID-19 than the flu which is what that ridiculous video is about.
Influenza is a life-threatening disease responsible for up to 650,000 deaths, and 3-5 million cases of severe illness every year. It is particularly dangerous for older people, those with chronic medical conditions, pregnant women and children, as they are at higher risk of developing serious complication.

There is vaccine for influenza. Just think about that!

Our recommendation is to cancel all appts unless absolutely necessary, including hair cuts. Let's flatten this curve!
Thanks yeah I tried to cancel but they told me to still come since I had a temporary that was on it's last legs. Office was almost totally empty and they were just finishing up anything that couldn't wait for a while.

What really fries me, regardless of your political affiliation, is that 3 of our guys are sick and none of them are able to be tested so they are quarantined at home (yes, let's get our entire family sick). Healthcare people and prehospital (fire medics) like myself should have priority cuz if we're sick we won't be taking acre of you, only spreading it around on every call.

ps. My Model 3 Performance came today (even though they said it would be here tomorrow) and it totally blindsided me (I was cleaning out the garage in anticipation). As someone who is 58 and has never owned a car before (that's right - never) I am toally overwhelmed by the car in general (and I'm not a tech newbie). I don't think the two who delivered my car believed me.

See my previous posts on this. From a scientific standpoint your statement is wrong, or at least it is so misleading as to be virtually wrong. Older people are not necessarily immunosuppressed. It's not that simple. That's a simpleminded and therefore appealing but ultimately misleading concept.
So rare to hear nuance on the internet. Thank you.

Reactions: Big Earl and dfwatt
What really fries me, regardless of your political affiliation, is that 3 of our guys are sick and none of them are able to be tested so they are quarantined at home (yes, let's get our entire family sick). Healthcare people and prehospital (fire medics) like myself should have priority cuz if we're sick we won't be taking acre of you, only spreading it around on every call.

If it makes you feel better, all my physician and nurse colleagues are complaining about the lack of PPE in hospitals as well.

@wdolson posted that up thread. But I agree it seems left out of the overall discussion outside of here.

Yeah, Florida to me is the ticking time bomb of this all. Slow to react, highly aged population, and a lot of people going to and coming from. It won't look good in a week, and probably pretty horrifying in two.

Medics in NYC have been told to respond to COVID 19 calls without N95’s if none are available, and mask supplies have been centralized and taken out of vehicles (unless you’re clever about hiding them).
I am very concerned about where things are going there. Meanwhile, a hospital in Nebraska is zapping used masks with UV and sending them back out for a week before tossing.
Robin

8:58PM 20-MAR-2020
Coronavirus files: what newly released documents tell us about social distancing
In a remarkable piece of transparency the government today published 30 documents detailing the expert advice it was given on how to control the spread of the disease.

Science editor Sarah Knapton and science correspondent Henry Bodkin have combed through the documents and pick out the key points here:

• 23 million Britons may already be infected with the virus
  • Social distancing measures may have to be in place for a year
  • Contact tracing could reduce the spread of the outbreak
  • Dry cough and a fever are not the only early symptoms - other signs include chill, headache and stuffy nose
  • School closures could actually spread coronavirus as children and young people congregate in parks and at house parties
  • Social distancing measures could be alternated between regions to give people a break
  • Children will be put at risk through a lack of adult supervision
Coronavirus latest news: Italy's deadliest day

I saw that CVS opened it’s first drive up testing tent to see how it goes. CVS Opens Drive-Through COVID-19 Test Site In Shrewsbury

Not in our area but this one is restricted to emergency responders and health care workers so hopefully the ones set up in Calif, SF should be getting these real soon I would think, will be available to you as initial walk-ins. You really should be up in the front of the line as you guys are protecting us and we will all be worse off if you guys get sick. Maybe a call from your fire chief to your local CVS to get any update? Do you guys have masks to wear?

Hey, on a happier note was going to ask you about your car order and see from a subsequent post you have it! Fire engine red (MCR) right?! So happy you are excited about it and Congrats. Kind of crappy to get it while we’re in shutdown mode here but hope you’re able to have fun in it going to the grocery store. Really happy for you. Don’t forget to use your TeslaCam and Sentry mode settings!

BTW do you (specific or generic to your firehouse or community area) have any masks stored in earthquake preparedness kits? If schools, communities or individuals put them in storage now would be a good time to pull them out. When we first came to Calif we signed up for our city’s classes and also did the search and rescue portion with our local fire department. The masks were part of our kits and even our town’s rail car storage locker I’m sure had a count of them for community neighborhood response teams. Possible some people have forgotten these were stored and can free up.

Last edited: