Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I have to come clean on my predictions, it looks like I'm going to have a miss here:

If we continue to not do anything to actually address this issue, I would expect we should hit 10k deaths by the following weekend, easy (and we'll top out at over 2 million cases if the status quo is kept until that weekend).

I think we're likely to reach a little short of 10k deaths by the weekend, so this was a big miss by me! Maybe we'll get there by the end of day Sunday, but does that really count as the weekend?

And I don't know what I was talking about with the cases - I guess I must have been projecting from known cases - and I didn't account for test limitations. Obviously we're at 2 million cases at least NOW in the United States. So we'll probably be at 5-6 million by the weekend - hopefully not any higher.

Oops. My bad.

Still, with that many cases out there, and only maybe 300k identified by the weekend, how are we going to stop this thing? I'm not so sure we are. People are generally being good about staying at home and avoiding gatherings, but it seems like a lot of mixed messages out there in some states, and there will always be exceptions when you're talking about millions of infected people walking around.

I feel like the next pillar to crumble will be the trucking & shipping industries. It just seems like it's inevitable that they will get hopelessly infected with that many cases out there. I wonder if shipping will go on? Starting to feel a bit pessimistic, TBH. Is this why everyone is hoarding TP & food? Maybe these people are actually super geniuses?

it is not clear to me what was the timeline of introduction into New York but based on current case numbers it had lots of different starts, or it started earlier than Washington State

Haven't seen any phylogenetic analysis of the early cases there, but probably they were introduced prior to the travel ban, in January. With additional introductions from Europe later.

Wanted to circle back around to this. I was looking at the Nextstrain data. It looks like all the 33 genomes currently from New York are likely European introductions, most of which likely occurred in February sometime (not January as I suggested might be the case). Nothing has been sampled yet that appears to have been an early China introduction. However, it is possible (I think) that there are missing pieces to the puzzle - it's still possible that there is a set of viruses out there that were more direct descendants/imports from China. We'd need a bit more sampling to know I think.

I guess it's also possible that virus was circulating at a low level in France, UK, etc., even in January, and one of these travelers did indeed bring it over in that timeframe from one of those places. Given how people travel, I suppose that might not be that unlikely. And I think the picture would look the same (meaning the introductions could have occurred in January and still been sourced from Europe).

In any case, what seems certain is that there were numerous sparks (from Spain, UK, Belgium, France, etc. - surprisingly, nothing yet sampled as clearly from Italy), as can be seen in the data in the tree (looks like at least 8 separate introductions, probably more). It's amazing how quickly these morphed into a raging fire.

I'm no expert on reading these trees of course, but it's relatively easy to figure out the basics. These issues of timing, etc., are harder to determine. The red dots are the NY sourced genomes.
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 4.41.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 4.46.54 PM.png

Last edited:
Outing for shopping today to Spouts, Dollar store and Walmart in Albuquerque, NM

Highest fraction of people wearing masks seen at Walmart. I'm surprised too. The change was that elderly are getting the message, but still only perhaps 1:5. The second group of mask wearers are women in the 25 - 35 age group who may have young children at home. The edict to wear masks to protect others is not in evidence. TP back in stock at Walmart.

Dollar Store has my favorite licorice, and is fully stocked. This is the only store of the three that is under state edict to restrict shoppers to no more than 10 at a time. Not sure why -- perhaps under a threshold store size ?

Sprouts is remarkable for looking and feeling almost normal albeit with fewer shoppers. Normal feels wrong.

Social distancing is well observed at all 3 stores in the check-out lanes, the first week I have seen this.

Oh, and this is the first week I have seen cashiers wearing masks. I spoke with both and each said it was a personal choice. I also saw two people wearing a mask on their chin.

Outing for shopping today to Spouts, Dollar store and Walmart in Albuquerque, NM

Highest fraction of people wearing masks seen at Walmart. I'm surprised too. The change was that elderly are getting the message, but still only perhaps 1:5. The second group of mask wearers are women in the 25 - 35 age group who may have young children at home. The edict to wear masks to protect others is not in evidence. TP back in stock at Walmart.

Dollar Store has my favorite licorice, and is fully stocked. This is the only store of the three that is under state edict to restrict shoppers to no more than 10 at a time. Not sure why -- perhaps under a threshold store size ?

Sprouts is remarkable for looking and feeling almost normal albeit with fewer shoppers. Normal feels wrong.

Social distancing is well observed at all 3 stores in the check-out lanes, the first week I have seen this.

Oh, and this is the first week I have seen cashiers wearing masks. I spoke with both and each said it was a personal choice. I also saw two people wearing a mask on their chin.

Maybe your Walmart had already started their new protection procedure and why you were seeing masks:

Walmart to deploy temperature checks, masks and gloves to all employees nationwide

I have a small box of surgical masks that I’ve had on hand for doing dusty housework (allergies and asthma). I called my 91 year old mom and asked her a while ago, and as recently as yesterday, if I could send her a few to wear when she went with her friend (probably in 80s), for groceries. Would she wear them? She said no, don’t send.

Today she called and said her friend who drives her called to say the governor there may be telling everyone to wear a mask when out so, yes please send for her and her friend. Sent along with ziplock bag to keep in their purses. Said they went early to the grocery store this morning and they had wipes at entrance and some people were wearing masks. I worry about her and her friend who I rely on to look after my mom and drive her places. Their town very early on had one of first confirmed cases in the state and it’s not a destination place so I’ve been concerned for her for a while. Should have sent earlier anyway but didn’t want to see them go to waste either if she refused to wear.

I rely on my husband to pick up groceries and he’s now agreed to wear a mask when shopping for us. As the numbers of confirmed and dead grow, people are changing their behavior.

Last edited:

Where do you buy masks?

A very good article on the development of vaccine.
COVID-19 vaccine candidates: 6 front-runners

My very concise summary:
Three most promising vaccines:

The US vaccine (mRNA-1273): Could have it by fall this year. But it might just kill you before the virus does.

The Chinese vaccine (Ad5-nCoV): The front runner across the globe. It should be out by December this year. This one is safe but probably will not help you.

The British vaccine (ChAdOx1): This one is safe and effective. But you are probably dead by then because the vaccine won’t be out until May 2021.

--------------------------------

More detailed summary:

mRNA-1273: The front-runner in the U.S., which is backed by the NIAID and developed by Moderna Therapeutics, is based upon a specific type of genetic material, mRNA.

…..The company is hopeful that it may have a vaccine as early as fall 2020 for some particularly vulnerable groups, such as health care workers. The Phase I safety study should be completed by June 2021.

Ad5-nCoV: The front-runner across the globe, Ad5-nCoV, was developed by the Beijing Institute of Biotech and CanSino Biologics, a Chinese biopharmaceutical company.

…… Ad5-nCoV is perhaps the most promising because CanSino has already produced a nearly identical vaccine, Ad5-EBOV, to protect against Ebola. The Ebola vaccine has already entered Phase II testing, meaning it’s even further along. Still, the official anticipated completion date for Ad5-nCOV safety testing is December 2020, with all testing completed by 2022.

ChAdOx1: The University of Oxford is one of the most recent groups to bring its vaccine candidate into human studies -- a major milestone. The vaccine is simultaneously being tested for both safety (Phase I) and efficacy (Phase II) by injecting 510 healthy participants with either vaccine or placebo.

…….Still, its anticipated completion date of this phase isn’t until May 2021.

FWIW, Amazon has surgical masks but most of the delivery dates are in May. However there are new sellers every day so you may get lucky.

Yesterday after some posts up thread I went to EBay to look for masks, and found some with a delivery date of next week. I happily ordered from two sellers. Later in the day EBay emailed to say that both sellers accounts had been disabled due to concerns about their accounts. We’ll see if I receive delivery but I’m pretty sure I got ripped off. Sticking with Amazon next time. :eek:

IHME has become one of my go to sites but I'm unsure how to interpret the days that ventilator needs exceed ventilator availability.
Do those patients fall off the need tally because they are dead ?
How do I calculate the number of patients who die from lack of ventilator ?

Apologies for the dark phrasing

Last edited:
IHME has become one of my go to sites but I'm unsure how to interpret the days that ventilator needs exceed ventilator availability.
Do those patients fall off the need tally because they are dead ?

Apologies for the dark phrasing
My interpretation is that they're not modeling that at all. I assume that if you need an invasive ventilator you're going to die very quickly without one (a day?). That would keep the number of ventilators needed only a little bit above the number of ventilators available in reality. Now in that case the doctors will do triage to minimize the number of deaths since most patients probably have a low chance of survival once they go on a ventilator. It is very sad to think about.

My interpretation is that they're not modeling that at all. I assume that if you need an invasive ventilator you're going to die very quickly without one (a day?). That would keep the number of ventilators needed only a little bit above the number of ventilators available in reality. Now in that case the doctors will do triage to minimize the number of deaths since most patients probably have a low chance of survival once they go on a ventilator. It is very sad to think about.

I think this question was asked in the briefing today (do the fatality projections account for lack of ventilators) and I think it was conveniently not answered (as I recall). You'd have to check the transcript.

It seems possible that we might not run out of ventilators. I might be succumbing to the happy talk though. We'll see I guess.

• Funny
Reactions: FoverM
Interesting to follow Governors that are trump pansies. This is Florida:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said Friday that a White House recommendation to implement a stay-at-home order would “carry a lot of weight” with him as he faces criticism over his handling of the COVID-19 outbreak in his state.

“I’m in contact with them, and, basically, I’ve said, ‘Are you guys recommending this?’” DeSantis said at a press conference Tuesday, referring to the White House’s COVID-19 task force. “The task force has not recommended that to me. Obviously, if they do, that is something that would carry a lot of weight with me.”

DeSantis added in the press conference that he would follow any updated guidance from the White House’s guidelines and urged seniors and those with underlying medical conditions to stay home.

Fair enough, but then how do you tally the number of deaths from lack of ventilator (ignore the fact that the majority of people who go on a vent with covid-19 die.)

It looks like today is the day. Worldometer is now posting 3400 US deaths. Thanks to all who put out their estimate. I think it is a good exercise to see how well aligned our perceptions are with the data.

I nearly bumped up my projection a couple of days ago. Fortunately the death count on Sunday was a bit low. But I was nearly persuaded it would be March 30 before that.

Now we have the question, When will the US hit 100 DPM, or 33,100 deaths?

My guess is April 14, but not high confidence, subjective error about +/- 4 days.

Yes, April. The main thing to go by would be the known positives, but they are limited by a possibly strongly changing testing level. So in consequence, the CFR may have changed a lot. The resulting uncertainty is so large (a least for me) that the estimate range would include all guesses made so far. But yes, April, and yes, more than that. I wonder if they will be able to individually report as many deaths on the same day they happen.

Reactions: jhm
Order anything on NewEgg. When you checkout, they give you 5 masks free ($5-$5 credit), and will let you buy 50 more for $35 ($50-$15 credit) if you desire.

3M N95's aren't going to be around for month or more.

I needed a computer fan, went to Newegg, wasn't offered the masks at checkout. It may have a minimum purchase to get the offer.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and MXLRplus