Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, they have way more ventilators than that. Gov. Cuomo said they 3,000 on March 27th. Though he says they need 30,000 but I suspect that's a worst case number. It's a good idea to plan for the worst case though! The market for used ventilators will remain strong for a while.

You always need more on hand than you expect to use. When you need a ventilator, you need a ventilator. Doesn't help if it's all the way across the city.

718 is ICU beds open. When push comes to shove, MSU beds will do.
Because a M/S nurse who knows nothing about ventilators or sedation or mechanical ventilation or intensive care or dealt with an endotracheal tube and has 10+ other patients is going to manage that patient ?

You do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Yeah, they have way more ventilators than that. Gov. Cuomo said they 3,000 on March 27th. Though he says they need 30,000 but I suspect that's a worst case number. It's a good idea to plan for the worst case though! The market for used ventilators will remain strong for a while.
I'm not judging the 718 number at the moment, I only want to interpret the graph correctly.

Good news!

I just got a spam email offering masks. At least I know demand is increasing.
Now, when will the trump moron figure out that increasing mask production is vastly more important and feasible than this ventilator pie in the sky nonsense ... that the majority of people die on anyway ? How many more extra millions will be infected before he gets a clue ?

A week ago I was looking for something in the laundry room closet and found 2 N95 masks I didn't know we had.

2 N95's, lets see, what are the rules. in parallel, that would be equiv to an N190, but in series it would be 95 or would it be half? does the power add or go down when in series?

(been too long since I studied gnomes law)

Because a M/S nurse who knows nothing about ventilators or sedation or mechanical ventilation or dealt with an endotracheal tube and has 10+ other patients is going to manage that patient ?

You do not have a clue what you are talking about.

I don't think it takes a medical degree to understand that you can't just put a patient in a bed and say here's a ventilator, good luck. NY is asking for medical professionals to come help.

I don't think it takes a medical degree to understand that you can't just put a patient in a bed and say here's a ventilator, good luck. NY is asking for medical professionals to come help.

Ohhhh...
And here I thought trump was going to manufacture them. Or re-animate those 25,000 ICU nurses currently in the freezer

Get real

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: eevee-fan
No Sh1t, Sherlock

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, revealed on Tuesday that the White House coronavirus task force is seriously considering guidance that Americans wear masks to help thwart the rapid spread of COVID-19.

But the country’s top infectious disease expert also acknowledged that such a directive has been complicated by the nationwide dearth of personal protective equipment.

"The thing that has inhibited that a bit is to make sure that we don’t take away the supply of masks from the health care workers who need them,” he continued. “But once we get in a situation where we have enough masks, I believe there will be some very serious consideration about more broadening this recommendation of using masks.”

Fauci cautioned that while “we’re not there yet,” he said he believed the task force was “close to coming to some determination” soon on whether to expand the administration’s recommended mitigation measures to include masks.

“Because if, in fact, a person who may or may not be infected wants to prevent infecting someone else, one of the best ways to do that is with a mask. So perhaps that’s the way to go,” he said, adding that the subject was “under very active consideration” and would be raised at the task force’s meeting on Tuesday afternoon.

This helmet type ventilation device seems to be made in the US in modest quantities and costs less than $500. They are scaling up. Just info...

Helmet-based ventilation eases respiratory distress

Dang, that was also predicted by the Simpsons!

upload_2020-3-31_20-45-59.png

Does anyone have a simple explanation why both Beijing and Shanghai which are only about 1000+ Kms away from Wuhan, very densely populated and in the same country, has less than 500 deaths, but NYC and Italy which are what more close to 10k miles away, in a different continent has thousands of deaths?

And don't forget the massive people movement that happened in China during the Chinese New year in January, carrying infections to and from Wuhan to all parts of China. .. yet only 100 deaths or less in Shanghai the economic capital of China?

It simply doesn't make sense.
Part of it is they're lying, but a huge part of it is because of testing and isolation. Korea has similar numbers and I doubt they're covering anything up.

Take a look back a few posts to the interesting fact we have more fatalities today than we had CASES 14 days ago. We aren't testing and haven't been testing, meanwhile this virus has spread like wildfire as we "shelter at home" thinking that will do anything to limit total infection. Raise your hand if you have NOT been to the supermarket in the last 10 days? Are you going this weekend?

Italy has a similar if not worse political and cooperative mentality to us, plus they're far older than any other country, plus they kiss everyone they see instantly.

This helmet type ventilation device seems to be made in the US in modest quantities and costs less than $500. They are scaling up. Just info...
Helmet-based ventilation eases respiratory distress
It is a crappy CPAP device, a bit better than simple supplemental oxygen. I say crappy because you can only tighten it around someone's neck so much before they complain.

Researchers screened patients admitted to the intensive care unit. Those with ARDS who needed ventilation via a face mask for at least 8 hours were eligible to enroll in the study.

I'm sure, as this was super obviously going to be a huge problem in mid-January, that there were really smart competent people in the chain of command who were freaking out in January and wanted to do something
and, of course, selling their personal stock portfolio to the tune of millions $$$$ in the days after confidential or classified briefings.