Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think even UV will break the masks down, but slower process in doing so, and enable reuse of a few times.

I've been interested in the results of disinfecting as for a home user and without access to any additional masks that I have and given to my mom to use, it does concern me about reuse. I don't think I've seen any articles with test results for masks put out in the sunlight.

I know there are different wavelengths for UV light bulb/tubes sold and wondering if someone has a UV blacklight (for GID purposes like at halloween time) there would be any benefit to using those type of lamps. Anyone?

I saw this TV Fox61 news story online about a company, Avon, that makes a product called ReadyDock that utilizes UV light to sanitize. Avon company ReadyDock using UV light to sanitize surgical masks amid COVID-19 pandemic (incl. Interview video with CEO/founder and demonstrates how it works).
UVC light at 254 nM is the ideal output for disinfecting.
Robin

I find it interesting that only about 1 out of 10 tests is showing a positive, when in theory, nearly all tests should be limited to those showing symptoms.
In a state of 40 million people there are going to be a lot people with these symptoms.
Get-Tested-Web-March24-03.png

The number of people who die is dependent on the quality of medical care they receive. I think that should be uncontroversial.
Yes, but perhaps far less than you imagine.

On a population level:
Those who are not infected do not die
Those who are infected but do not reach the level of seeking out testing do not die. Unknown fraction
Those who are infected and tested but do not reach the level of needing hospitalization do not die. About 7/8 in Florida
Those who are infected and hospitalized but do not reach the level of needing ICU need O2 but otherwise do not die. About 3/4

In the ICU, expertise matters a lot but 80% die regardless

Not sure what your point is. That the number of deaths has variable dependencies as well?
That's a great list, and for a moment I thought you are going to lift this discussion to a scientific level. Like when kids are having a pillow fight in the living room and then the parents come home.
I guess I didn't understand what you meant by this?

This graph repeats the one from this AM, but with additional graphic cues for people with reduced color sensitivity.
Please give feedback and suggestions

View attachment 529286
@SageBrush
Much more for me easily to see and differentiate, esp with colors and icons on the lines.
I think I may have realized you have both daily? and a moving avg on top. It seems to jump out.
Much clearer.
I did research (asked spouse) I’m a protonamolous deuternope. Really bad green, somewhat bad red.
She had a deuternope colleague and a tritanope (blue) female colleague (wrong X condensed when her cones formed), never sequenced that one tho, still used x-ray films back then, so a bit slow
Thank you for making the chart way easier to read w/o bandpass filters.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
This graph repeats the one from this AM, but with additional graphic cues for people with reduced color sensitivity.
Please give feedback and suggestions

Everyone can see black so maybe use that instead of 2 versions of yellow. Also the shapes used on the two versions of yellow are closer in form than the other shapes, so if you have to use similar colors give them more distinct shapes.

In a state of 40 million people there are going to be a lot people with these symptoms.
View attachment 529352

What I don't really like about that flyer is that there are other recognized symptoms people with CV19 have that aren't listed on that form and we know that not everyone who has CV19 will present with coughing and fever for example. So it misses a lot of people potentially from seeking some type of medical advice/isolating in their household/medical treatment and keeps more carriers out there and in close contact following stay-in-place even with those in their household. Been reading how families are among the highest breeding grounds for infecting others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean Wagner
Yes, but perhaps far less than you imagine.

On a population level:
Those who are not infected do not die
Those who are infected but do not reach the level of seeking out testing do not die. Unknown fraction
Those who are infected and tested but do not reach the level of needing hospitalization do not die. About 7/8 in Florida
Those who are infected and hospitalized but do not reach the level of needing ICU need O2 but otherwise do not die. About 3/4

In the ICU, expertise matters a lot but 80% die regardless
I was including all hospitalizations in my definition of medical care.
I imagine that twice as many people would die without medical care but that is pure guesstimate.

California Dept. of Public Health reports that they are down to only 13,000 pending tests (from approximately 60,000 earlier this week).

Great to see the backlog getting cleared.

State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts
Not clear whether the 12k positives correspond to 113k tests or not …

ps : covidtracking thinks they are related. In that case its great because positives/total are just ~ 10%.

There has been a fair amount of skepticism about the Chinese numbers lately.

This is a good article (it's actually kind of old now), which suggests that case reporting in China was probably fairly complete (as complete as it is likely to be anywhere else). It does not rely on any case reporting data at all - it just relies on what has been observed in genomes worldwide and their prevalance. It would be interesting to seem them redo this analysis now...

https://bedford.io/projects/ncov-phylodynamics/

Not surprisingly at all, if you project their results forward using their parameters, it implies there are likely 10s of millions of cases worldwide at this point.

• Funny
Reactions: RobStark and FoverM
California Dept. of Public Health reports that they are down to only 13,000 pending tests (from approximately 60,000 earlier this week).

Great to see the backlog getting cleared.

State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts

The hard part is gauging whether states are actually doing enough testing in the first place. We've heard anecodotes of states under-testing due to lack of PPE, reagents, cotton swabs, etc.

Plus, you want to know how effectively they are backtracing. Assuming there is a point where people are supposed to go back to work.

Reactions: Sean Wagner