Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, FDA gave EMERGENCY approval for COVID-19 for COMPASSIONATE USE IN HOSPITALIZED PATIENTS WITH THE VIRUS.

Not outpatient, not determined to be safe and effective. I suppose if I were near the point where a ventilator is indicated, I'd opt for a try of it, but to promote this as a "cure" is an absurd slap in the face of medical science.

I wasn't saying or implying otherwise...? Violent agreement?

6) Degree of social support versus social stress – people are surprised to hear that immunocompetence is modulated by this but it is. Chronic upregulation of the stress axis subjects us to a daily bath of corticosteroids and upregulation of pro-inflammatory cytokines. See previous discussion on dangers of upregulated innate immunity when facing novel pathogens.
7) The role of gender with significant increased vulnerability in males to bad outcome in respiratory infection.
An underappreciated and likely huge mortality factor in the US.

I myself had what I can only describe as a mild but lengthy shingles outbreak(having had it before) in early March, definitely due to stress that was topped off by this mess and IMO perhaps triggered by asymptomatic viral infection. That's my running theory anyway. Have not been tested and currently cannot get tested.

Having millions and millions of people, mostly already impoverished, lose their jobs as a unique virus is blowing through town has to boost mortality by 10% or more in certain populations. Where underlying conditions didn't exist, we're creating them with this magnificent and persistent amount of stress.

An underappreciated and likely huge mortality factor in the US.

I myself had what I can only describe as a mild but lengthy shingles outbreak(having had it before) in early March, definitely due to stress that was topped off by this mess and IMO perhaps triggered by asymptomatic viral infection. That's my running theory anyway. Have not been tested and currently cannot get tested.

Having millions and millions of people, mostly already impoverished, lose their jobs as a unique virus is blowing through town has to boost mortality by 10% or more in certain populations. Where underlying conditions didn't exist, we're creating them with this magnificent and persistent amount of stress.
I have family in Italy and they are saying that kids and anyone under 50 are struggling with the quarantine becuase they get no fresh air, exercise and their immune system is suffering because of this. People become pale, low energy after few weeks of staying indoors.

Apparently you missed the context. If the NYC studies showed that it worked, then it's an uphill battle for you vs the lawyers when someone's mother died in the hand of a MD who was too skeptical to try experimental treatments with evidence out there that it did work from preliminary studies.

So it's extremely ballsy to play this game being in your high horse. The lawyers will have a field day. If NYC proved the drug doesn't work, welp..everyone tried their best.

It's not clear to me what you're saying or even what your motivation is here. Are you saying that it's gross negligence for somebody not to use chloroquine in covid-19? You got an uphill battle to prove that. First of all contrary to notions promulgated in the media and sometimes implied in the advertising by attorneys on TV, that a medical malpractice lawsuit is trivially easy, it's actually very hard to bring a successful malpractice action. You have to show that somebody deviated from standards of care substantially, and that that deviation caused a very undesirable outcome. Chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine are not standard of care items in relationship to covid-19. They are optional / discretionary and without any evidence for efficacy at this time. A family certainly would be well within their rights to advocate for compassionate use in relationship to a relative ill with covid-19. If that's all you're saying I'm not sure why you need all the bombast?

Detroit bus driver Jason Hargrove dies days after making video about coughing passenger - CNN

This Detroit bus driver made a video asking people to take the coronavirus pandemic seriously. He was upset about a passenger who wasn't taking measures to cover a cough while on his bus. Four days later, he got sick. On Wednesday night, he died.
US has a lot of people with hidden / not so hidden underlying conditions. Fatalities in US will trend a lot younger than Italy ...

Would be nice to have links to more info. Wondering if suicide rates are tracked somewhere.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I have family in Italy and they are saying that kids and anyone under 50 are struggling with the quarantine becuase they get no fresh air, exercise and their immune system is suffering because of this. People become pale, low energy after few weeks of staying indoors.
I've found that indoor rowing works pretty good to combat this.

• Informative
Reactions: erha
Washington Post just updated their stats page to accommodate for population.

kind of scary looking at this map when you click "cases". You really get a visual sense of how this is going to hit different areas in waves.

If you click the map itself, you get more granular details showing how this is getting transmitted in all directions from the hardest hit population centers

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and N5329K
I don't think @TheTalkingMule has ever posted any evidence to back up his assertions. I've been waiting for him to provide a source for his SARS data for weeks.
Nobody here knows anything for certain.

I only bothered to start posting here to point out the mortality rate in that original Imperial College was flat out wrong. And it was.

I think mortality will be around .15%, we will find out sooner or later.

Maybe you guys could take a 1 day break from feverish rambling about coronavirus on the internet? I think it would be very healthy. The chap above ^ feels you might be compromising you otherwise healthy immune system, and I tend to agree.

Butchering animals, even domestic ones, is unsanitary around other foodstuffs. Just the entrails and feces is bad news. But they are slaughtering more than domestic animals. They are bringing wild animals and endangered species to these markets. While killing endangered species is technically illegal, it's not enforced since the buyers for these animals are the wealthy. So we are discovering all kinds of new and interesting parasites and pathogens because of this practice.

Granted, this problem is not exclusive to China. Or even Asia. There are people who do it in the US. But the scale of it in China, and the simplicity of eradicating it in an authoritarian country, makes the wet markets in China the best starting point to clean up our foodstuffs.

Nobody here knows anything for certain.

I only bothered to start posting here to point out the mortality rate in that original Imperial College was flat out wrong. And it was.

Maybe you guys could take a 1 day break from feverish rambling about coronavirus on the internet? I think it would be very healthy. The chap above ^ feels you might be compromising you otherwise healthy immune system, and I tend to agree.

I assume you're referencing my earlier post here? Please speak for yourself! Discussing coronavirus does not compromise your immune system. Please don't reference my post to support that kind of pop psychology nonsense.

And I also think you're not really taking responsibility for repetitively picking up one side in a polarizing and what I think is ultimately a foolish debate about case fatality rates. You selectively quoted a portion of that but you clearly didn't get the rest of it. Where the precise case-fatality rate falls in a given demographic may be misleading and maybe in fact quite different from where it falls in another Society, culture, or demographic. In other words it's not likely to be a single number that's univariately accurate across cultures and societies. Case fatality or infection fatality rate may be a function of a bunch of known and perhaps some unknown risk variables, their penetrance, and as a huge wild card and all this, whether or not that particular section of our Healthcare System is maxed out. So, bottom line . . . . If your low ball number is supposed to reassure people, it doesn't.​

Last edited:
You never quoted the part of the study you thought was wrong.
You seem to be defining mortality rate as percentage of the total population that dies (very hard to pin you down on this!). A population mortality rate of 0.15% was definitely close to one of the scenarios modeled in the Imperial College study so it sounds like maybe you're not actually disagreeing with it?
That might be a good idea. haha.

@outdoors - Since you rated my post funny, I am guessing you may be a very smart dude, but help this ignoramus here. What is the function of hand sanitizers?

I don't think this was one of those "facepalm"-funny responses that seem to have gotten invented by this thread.

I also think the image of using hand sanitizer to disinfect masks is humorous. Not because it's necessarily wrong or right, just the thought of using the old "savior" product to extend the life of the new "savior" product.

Last edited: