Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Daily graphs:
  • Is South Korea actually winning its fight, like China appears to have? Hmm...
  • No way Iran has peaked already. :Þ Lower numbers today I'd interpret as a bad sign.
  • The huge spike in "Other Europe" should be interpreted as a good sign, but it's rather painful to see, as one of course fears that it's going to get a lot higher before it gets better (assuming it gets better).
  • Spain (replaces Shanghai on the graph), France, and Germany all rising roughly linearly (but not exponentially...)
  • Italy maybe starting to level out? Time will tell....
  • The expected explosion in US cases is yet to come, but it's starting to scale up. We all know it's probably bad.
  • Rather bad day in Japan.

upload_2020-3-5_1-49-16.png

upload_2020-3-5_1-50-2.png

upload_2020-3-5_1-50-21.png

Japan has closed down schools, offices. Might postpone Olympics.

Olympics should probably be postponed, unless the mortality rate can be brought down to that of a seasonal flu. Not so sure about closing schools. But anything tourism / travel / big public gatherings related can be expected to take a big hit this year.

US doesn't do things like China does. We have people in the government here that need to get reelected

There's nothing particularly demanding about imposing new OSHA regulations - or even just the CDC issuing recommended guidelines - for worker health safety. You're not asking people to give a kidney - just to have their temperature taken, wear a mask, have common surfaces wiped down after each use, etc.

At the very least, nursing homes should be doing this.

Some local anecdotal news.

Flights to Seattle are flying half-filled (usually full). Local mall is looks deserted. I think atleast locally any city with lot of infections will take a hit.

There's nothing particularly demanding about imposing new OSHA regulations - or even just the CDC issuing recommended guidelines - for worker health safety. You're not asking people to give a kidney - just to have their temperature taken, wear a mask, have common surfaces wiped down after each use, etc.

I don't mean people resist these measures. People will think these are not aggressive enough. Most people here I talk to want schools and offices closed.

Sign the Petition

Karen - Where did you get those graphs?
Did you export the JH data and graph it?
I don't see the UK broken out.

UK isn't broken out; I might break it out later. I just added Spain for the first time, and the UK has only 2/3rds as many cases as them today (but growing faster, at least over the past day)

The data is from bnonews, which tracks all global cases. I used to use a script to autogenerate the CSVs, but these days I do it manually (could go back to automated if I wanted... it was just work every time I changed the way I was doing the graphs).

Note that you can get variations in the graphs depending on what "day" you allocate particular cases to. China often reports just after midnight (my time), but also sometimes before midnight, so I always credit those to the previous day, and since South Korea reports around the same time, I do the same with them.

Reactions: jbih
BTW, per-capita, Iceland is probably the worst in Europe, although I haven't checked, as it was requested earlier that I stop publishing per-capita graphs. 12 new cases today alone, in a country of 360k people. That said, there's no (known) local spread as of yet. Icelanders vacation a lot in warm places like Spain and Italy, and so brought it back with them.

The quarantine system, though... could use some work :Þ

Some local anecdotal news.

Flights to Seattle are flying half-filled (usually full). Local mall is looks deserted. I think atleast locally any city with lot of infections will take a hit.

I don't mean people resist these measures. People will think these are not aggressive enough. Most people here I talk to want schools and offices closed.

Sign the Petition

"Not wanting to get fired" usually motivates people to show up to work, regardless of what's going on.

Society is not nearly as fragile as many people like to imagine.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
While not exactly the same thing, having now spoken to a cross-section of friends and family across four continents and spent a lot of time in various forums, I believe what we're witnessing is the Kubler-Ross 5 Stages of Grief model writ large across global society.

Phase 1 Denial. Most people are still stuck in this phase. I think this certainly goes for the US leadership and most of the money in the markets. Public at large for sure. In my own denial phase, I found contorted reasons why I thought the Chinese Communist Party was over-reacting, that professors from esteemed institutions were scaremongering to increase their grants etc... and I went about my business in happy obliviousness. For most people it seems to be on the lines of "this is just flu".
(Most people in the West didn't enter this phase until about a week or so ago, before that they were in what I'd term Phase 0 Ignorance)

Phase 2 Anger. Lashing out at anyone they think looks Chinese. Getting angry about events being cancelled. Angry at the media for hysteria. Getting angry at people like me on the internet who shake them out of Phase 1. I don't recall being in this phase myself, perhaps those around me would disagree?

Phase 3 Bargaining. "Ok I can see there's a problem. But don't worry, because of X, Y, Z it's not as bad as you think. Look, if we strip out the 4 worst countries and only focus on those where the progression of disease is not yet as advanced, the death rate isn't as bad you think. Smart people are working on a treatment. Viruses always blow themselves out. It's only [0.7%/1%/2%], that's trivial. There might be benefits from old people being carried away earlier Etc... There's a few people here at this stage. I was there myself about a week ago when I was mainly focused on the economic impact of the crisis, when I thought generalised Containment was by far the most likely outcome.

Phase 4 Depression. I have spent the past 3-4 days in this phase and it has not been pleasant. I realised that Containment was almost certainly going to fail and we are looking at a once in a century event that will leave none of our lives untouched. And everything I have seen out of health professionals and responsible governments in the last few days tells me that they have realised the same thing.

Phase 5 Acceptance. I'm trying hard to get to this stage with the help of my wife and friends, who are scientifically trained and got here in some cases several weeks ago. Society as a whole is nowhere close to this point. Where they can have a rationale conversation about how we might very well be looking at more deaths globally than the Holocaust (or even worse). And what this means for them and society as a whole.

So what does it look like when you get to Acceptance?

• Prepare yourself financially. For people that get there early enough, this will mean reducing or eliminating exposures to risk bearing assets like stocks, which are likely to swing with as much volatility as the average human's mood. Since this is an Investor Forum above all else, the most dangerous time will be when society hits Stage 4 Depression. Or to use another related word, Despair.
  • Prepare yourself practically. Get sensible provisions in place. I don't personally expect most countries to face a food shortage but it's peace of mind to know you have a few provisions. If you needed to care for a loved one at home, consider what you'd need. Soap, detergent, masks, digital thermometer, possibly a cheap Blood Pressure reader and O2 saturation / pulse reader. This is all available cheaply on Amazon. If you have a small business, what's your plan for each phase of the crisis?
  • Prepare yourself mentally. Not much advice I can give here. I am youngish (but with an underlying condition). I am trying to get in the mindset that there might be less time left with certain people than I'd imagined. So let's live a lot of life while we can, even if that ends up being in the confines of our home. Try not to dwell on what might happen, don't let little things get to you and try not to speak unkind words. Any more suggestions I'm welcome to hear them.
  • Prepare for the future. None of us know what might shake out of this but there are reasons to be optimistic. We might see societies become less materialistic and selfish, more altruistic and kind. We should see an increased weight placed on the importance of science, education, family. And if the combined horrors of 1914 - 1919 are anything to go by, the 2020s may match the 1920s, a prosperous and exhilarating decade (let's leave the 1930s in the past shall we), powered by technology, productivity gains and positivity.
Best of luck to you all.

Last edited:
Realistically, though, there's 314 cruise ships in the world, making new cruises every several days-to-weeks, and thusfar, only 2 cruises have had problems with the disease.

That would be analogous to saying, globally, we have only had 93,000/7,800,000,000 Cov cases, or 0.001% of the population infected. (The denominator is important here as well.)

I wouldn't let fear rule my life. Personally.
Until one of your close acquaintances, neighbor, coworker, family, or friend gets the bug.....

Last edited:
Italy's health system at limit in virus-struck Lombardy

The region of Lombardy is the epicenter of Italy’s outbreak, registering the first positive test of the northern cluster and now counting at least 1,254 of Italy’s 2,036 cases. Alarmingly, 10% of Lombardy’s doctors and nurses cannot work because they tested positive for the virus and are in quarantine, the region’s top health official, Giulio Gallera, said Monday.

With officials expecting Italy’s numbers to continue rising for at least another week, until containment measures begin to show their effect, the health care emergency in Lombardy has reached a crisis point.

Some 9% of people diagnosed with the COVID-19 need intensive care, Borrelli said.​

I bolded the part I consider important, imagine 10% of your health care professionals not being able to go to work, forget Coronavirus, they wont even be able to properly perform normal duty of care and administration for the current workload as it is.

this is also what i was implying in the earlier post
"Presumed human-to-human hospital-associated transmission of 2019-nCoV was suspected in 41% of patients."

translate, 4 out 10 patients caught the virus from being at the hospital. obviously that must include a lot of staff.

It's a virus. An influenza virus. But it's not 1918. We understand where it came from. We have sequenced its RNA. We have treatments. We have testing to verify it. No way this will be anything like 1918. It will/has had some economic impact. Maybe it will unify the world a little. Maybe we'll realize that we ARE in this together. Panic is not an option.
Y'all should watch the Netflix 'Pandemic' it seems pretty accurate and gives a lot of insight to the international efforts that have been going on for some time.

Aa
I bolded the part I consider important, imagine 10% of your health care professionals not being able to go to work, forget Coronavirus, they wont even be able to properly perform normal duty of care and administration for the current workload as it is.

this is also what i was implying in the earlier post
"Presumed human-to-human hospital-associated transmission of 2019-nCoV was suspected in 41% of patients."

translate, 4 out 10 patients caught the virus from being at the hospital. obviously that must include a lot of staff.

There's a reason why many SE asia countries have so few infections right now. Because they learned from sars that hospital infection was the primary cause and have set up special receiving units outside and established the 3 zone procedure.

It amazes me that the western nations did not use the time china bought to look this up and copy it.

Important point from Who director ...

And fourth, we don’t even talk about containment for seasonal flu – it’s just not possible. But it is possible for COVID-19. We don’t do contact tracing for seasonal flu – but countries should do it for COVID-19, because it will prevent infections and save lives. Containment is possible.​

That depends on what you mean by 'containment'. If by that you mean quarantining people who are ill and delimiting the spread of the infection, yes. If by containment you mean that you can keep the infection from getting into the general population, no. That ship has sailed and it sailed a long time ago. And with this infection which spreads easily and even from people who are pre-symptomatic, the notion that you can somehow readily contain this kind of pathogen and thereby prevent a widespread pandemic is a fantasy.

Meh, the vast majority of the passengers have probably cancelled, so you're probably fine ;)

Realistically, though, there's 314 cruise ships in the world, making new cruises every several days-to-weeks, and thusfar, only 2 cruises have had problems with the disease. Yes, sick ships can and do happen, with all kinds of diseases. But unless you have a preexisting condition / are old and frail, or have a specific reason to fear the time lost to quarantine... I wouldn't let fear rule my life. Personally.
Oh yes - not a fear for life. Diamond Princess had 700+ cases but only 6 deaths.

The problem is getting quarantined on the ship. They wouldn't let anyone out of their room - and food was delivered at the door. Imagine holed up in a tiny cabin for days, indefinitely.