Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rates of Co-infection Between SARS-CoV-2 and Other Respiratory Pathogens
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2764787

There was a previous article on this which we talked about in this thread. There is a lot of data to chew through in this article.

table 1.png

table 2.png

How is telling people to have a peaceful protest without blocking a hospital a "dick response"?
In reference to my initial comment: Does sending people into poverty endanger their lives?
You are saying I'm arguing. I'm saying no it is not an argument, it is a question.
You: That is a specious argument.
Me: No, that is a thought provoking question.

Last edited:
(And no, I was not able to tell with a quick read how they determined the direction of transmission in those cases, but I guess I trust them?).
It was manual contact tracing. They assume a Wuhan traveler transmitted to a non-traveler regardless of who developed symptoms first. Same if one person had known exposure to a cluster and the other member of the contact pair did not. This approach works if there is not much community transmission. In some cases they couldn't figure it out, so they left those as unresolved instead of randomly guessing.

The Germans who studied the Webasto cluster used genetic sequencing to help figure out transmission direction. They got some very specific info, e.g. two people whose only contact was sitting at different back-to-back tables in the cafeteria.

We really need that Bluetooth phone app for contact tracing before we re-open anything. Otherwise we don't have a prayer.

As with most thought provoking questions many people have studied it.
Somewhat counterintuitively, economic recessions decrease mortality.
Study: Great Recession Led To Fewer Deaths
Mortality even went down during the Great Depression.
That's an interesting point. Unemployment rose to about 10% at the great recession. What if it goes to 30%, 40%, 50%?
How are some of the other health markers of society impacted - mental health, divorce, abuse, homelessness, drug usage, etc? (we've already seen a rise in child abuse)
I don't know the answers, but one thing is pretty clear at a high level - rich countries have higher life expectancy than poor countries; ie, wealth matters. Even within the US, avg lifespan is greater in higher GDP-per-capita states than poorer states (eg the south - MS, LA, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: bkp_duke
new-and-cumulative-covid-19-cases-in-australia-by-notification-date_12.png

Easter school holidays are over, so its back to school/home school.

Different states have appropiate nuances for their population but in general its home schooling for all, except essential workers and every worker is an essential worker if they cant work from home.

(So for instance a tradesman (ie builder etc) married to a nurse will be essential and will send their kids to school.

A public servant (working from home) will home school.

So office workers home school and factory/site workers send kid to school.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and AZRI11
Reactions: alloverx
That's an interesting point. Unemployment rose to about 10% at the great recession. What if it goes to 30%, 40%, 50%?
How are some of the other health markers of society impacted - mental health, divorce, abuse, homelessness, drug usage, etc?
I don't know the answers, but one thing is pretty clear at a high level - rich countries have higher life expectancy than poor countries.
The thing is I don't think the choice is between the situation now and a "vibrant functioning economy" (to use the terminology of the video you posted). Sweden doesn't have a vibrant functioning economy right now (UPDATE 2-Swedish spring budget pledges SEK 100 bln to fight coronavirus crisis) and I predict it will get much worse for them as well. Most people stopped going to restaurants before government interventions (March 15th Restaurant traffic is down 48% during coronavirus crisis, according to OpenTable).
I think that's what a lot of people don't realize, all our options are bad.

I lived there for 1.5 years. Very nice people once you get to know them, but yeah random interactions are way less than in the U.S. When I got on the airplane to head home at the end, some American guy started talking to me...and I was like wtf is this random dude doing? I turned Swedish for a bit!
Meanwhile in Brazil...I was invited to a wedding by someone I had known for a week, lol.

Speaking of Brazil:
Covid-19 to be a wrecking ball to Latin American economies

I think that's what a lot of people don't realize, all our options are bad.

I still optimistically and possibly naively think that the option where we use every resource at our disposal, and local, state, and federal gov’t work together to keep case counts way way down (say less than 100 per day nationwide) after reopening, might not be that bad.
I can see international travel becoming difficult though - mandatory quarantine sites at/near the airports, and testing, would be needed. And not sure about large events - depends on the threat level I guess. So it won’t be perfect.

It’s possible China is doing this successfully so I am fairly sure we could do it. If we tried.

• Funny
Reactions: mrmage
One other observation, a prominent australian doctor noted that Australia like South Korea did not close its schools.

Look at internet headlines and south korea closes schools. Look closer and it was 340 schools. Unstated is the context of the other 20,000 schools remaining open.

Honestly i don't know what the situation is is south korea, i dont even know what it is in the other local schools in my area, the schools my kids go to will be following national and state advice to be open for those who need it and learning from home for everyone else. It can confidently say however, the BYOD (bring your own device) school s (generally public) will find this transition much more difficult to manage than the schools that issue and retain ownership of the laptops/ipads (generally private) schools.

One other observation, a prominent australian doctor noted that Australia like South Korea did not close its schools.
South Korea did close schools.
South Korea’s drastic measures against the coronavirus offers a glimpse of what the US may need to do
I still optimistically and possibly naively think that the option where we use every resource at our disposal, and local, state, and federal gov’t work together to keep case counts way way down (say less than 100 per day nationwide) after reopening, might not be that bad.
I can see international travel becoming difficult though - mandatory quarantine sites at/near the airports, and testing, would be needed. And not sure about large events - depends on the threat level I guess. So it won’t be perfect.

It’s possible China is doing this successfully so I am fairly sure we could do it. If we tried.
Unfortunately I have no faith that we will learn any lessons from other countries. Apparently many people will not believe anything they don't see with their own two eyes (and maybe not even then).

South Korea did close schools.
South Korea’s drastic measures against the coronavirus offers a glimpse of what the US may need to do

Unfortunately I have no faith that we will learn any lessons from other countries. Apparently many people will not believe anything they don't see with their own two eyes (and maybe not even then).

That wasn't that's precisely what our Fearless Leader and stable genius said everyone should do? Don't believe Your Lying Eyes!