Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
China forces sick people into quarantine hotels, one of them just collapsed. If you have a cough and fever in China are you really going to volunteer to be tested?
200307105058-01-hotel-collapse-china-0307-exlarge-169.jpg
I've seen this line of reasoning with TSLAQ. Tread carefully. Nevertheless, under-reporting cases is exactly the reason to be bullish about the virus.
Deaths are always more accurately reported than cases. If you die, people is going to know why you did. If you don't display any symptoms or if your symptoms look no worse than a common cold, chances are you will never join the rank of the infected. It's like bad Yelp reviews and Tesla service complaints. Under-reporting of case = vastly higher denominator = lower actual mortality rate

Reactions: kyne
On one hand, it is sad, but on the other hand, if this is the reality in Seattle even as state of emergency is declared, we know how much the economy will be affected. I'd say minor. I have a grandma and I don't intend for her to get sick. We disinfect our hands at the door. it's a concern for more at-risk elderly people.
Well - we'll see how it goes. Its possible young people just go about doing what they normally do - and older people stay home. But in terms of local economy - its going to have big problems. All events are getting cancelled and if most people who can work from home do, downtown and office district restaurants etc will have to essentially close shop or run on very thin staff.

Now is the time for us Seattleites to fully embrace Seattle Freeze. Our antisocial cultural traits were made for just such a time.​

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I’m so glad that I decided to buy a bunch of N95 masks a few summers ago during some of the massive West coast fires. Hand sanitizer, nope. I don’t use the stuff, just wash my hands before eating and after leaving public places.

Reactions: Big Earl
I’m so glad that I decided to buy a bunch of N95 masks a few summers ago during some of the massive West coast fires. Hand sanitizer, nope. I don’t use the stuff, just wash my hands before eating and after leaving public places.
Hand sanitizer would be very useful, actually. When you shop, for eg., washing hands is not an option. Would have liked to use the sanitizer before getting into the car.

Reactions: Cherry Wine
Hand sanitizer would be very useful, actually. When you shop, for eg., washing hands is not an option. Would have liked to use the sanitizer before getting into the car.
Yesterday Whole Foods has hand sanitizer outside and in a couple of place throughout the store (a week ago it was just outside). I was surprised they weren't empty.

So what does American Hospital Association think about the effect of Covid19 ? 10x worse than flu for hospitals at what is probably optimistic epidemiology.

One slide in a leaked presentation for US hospitals reveals that they're preparing for millions of hospitalizations as the outbreak unfolds

ESh0cbFUEAAd7Eu.jpg
If the above is correct - we need
1,900,000 - ICU
100,000 - total ICU beds
61,000 - total ventilators.

About 50% are generally occupied already.

We need to really stretch out the outbreak to have any chance of dealing with Covid19.

FrapNDerp on Twitter

Regarding the tweets floating around that assert that prediction is from the AHA, I submit to you the following:

“The AHA regularly hosts webinars and conference calls that include a variety of voices and opinions that seek to provide relevant information to professionals at hospitals and health systems that are on the front lines of preparing for and protecting their patients and communities,” said an AHA spokeswoman to Business Insider. “The slides you shared reflect the various perspectives of field experts and should not be attributed to the AHA.”

Expert told American Hospital Association to brace for up to ’96 million’ coronavirus cases: leaked report

It's from American Hospital Association, not something the journalists or Trump made up. ;)
My perspective is BI whores for attention. Their job is to find numbers that fit their narrative.
I work for a hospital. For every problem, we have 2 sides: one wants to resolve it in the most efficient way possible, the other wants to be *safe rather than sorry*. In healthcare lingo, that's short for "we're going to cover our ass regardless of how much it costs and how much unnecessary work it creates". I have no doubt someone in the latter camp actually came up with these numbers but it's far from predictive of the future. Have nothing to do with politics. In fact, someone from the Trump camp would actually try to understate the impact.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan and Big Earl
even ingredients for hand sanitizer are going nuts. last nite, bottle of aloe vera in a pump bottle - $15. now: $30. tomorrow I expect to see 'no idea when it will be in stock, if ever'.

its that way with oral thermometers and anything related.

btw, for hand sanitizer 'nerd' idea: eyeglass cleaner (zeiss, etc) - its often IPA or something high percentage. I expect to see a run on THOSE wipes, too, as people discover 'hmmm, what else has high % of alc. in it' (60% or more).

forget trying to get this stuff:

70-pct-out.png

even ingredients for hand sanitizer are going nuts. last nite, bottle of aloe vera in a pump bottle - $15. now: $30. tomorrow I expect to see 'no idea when it will be in stock, if ever'.

btw, for hand sanitizer 'nerd' idea: eyeglass cleaner (zeiss, etc) - its often IPA or something high percentage. I expect to see a run on THOSE wipes, too, as people discover 'hmmm, what else has high % of alc. in it' (60% or more).

My Russian-American friend recommends Vodka! ;)

• Love
Reactions: AZRI11

forget trying to get this stuff:

View attachment 519248

Marketing opportunity for 120 proof Corona. :)

Alcohol proof - Wikipedia

• Funny
Reactions: AZRI11 and JRP3