Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That die has been cast.

Evergreen Health (which is where most of the US deaths occurred so far), now states that they have stopped testing for COVID-19 on outpatients, because the CDC now classifies this as endemic:
COVID19 Resources | Kirkland, WA | EvergreenHealth

This is not for a lack of available tests, UW have more than enough capacity to meet demand:
UW Virology on Twitter

If the CDC can classify this virus as endemic everywhere, it will avoid wide-spread testing and they get to safe face for botching the first set of tests. And Trump gets to keep his numbers low by only reporting the top 5% of cases back to the WHO.

Of course that means there is no hope anymore for containment.
This is from the Evergreen Health link above:

"Statistically, 1 person out of 200 people who are exposed to a COVID-19 positive individual, will become COVID-19 positive (0.5% transmission rate in the general public)."

I can't find that on the CDC website. Does anyone know whether it's accurate? It phrasing is highly confident, and I don't see how they can know that without a large degree of error.

That die has been cast.

Evergreen Health (which is where most of the US deaths occurred so far), now states that they have stopped testing for COVID-19 on outpatients, because the CDC now classifies this as endemic:
COVID19 Resources | Kirkland, WA | EvergreenHealth

This is not for a lack of available tests, UW have more than enough capacity to meet demand:
UW Virology on Twitter

If the CDC can classify this virus as endemic everywhere, it will avoid wide-spread testing and they get to safe face for botching the first set of tests. And Trump gets to keep his numbers low by only reporting the top 5% of cases back to the WHO.

Of course that means there is no hope anymore for containment.
Correct. "Delay" is all we can manage now. And only if people are willing (or financially able) to self-isolate. So not goods odds there, either.
Robin

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I was at Costco today after work and walked by few people who just couldn’t bother themselves, coughing wide open as if they haven’t heard about Cov precautions and acting as if they’re unaware of flu season in general.
Not every cough is necessarily related to a virus. We have one older family member with a longstanding, intermittent, chronic cough that's long since been determined to be of no significant medical concern. Others have mild asthma, a "lisinopril cough" related to blood pressure meds, or a host of other conditions that are of no threat to others. Yes, please do cover your mouth while coughing, but please don't demonize people who cough in public.

Containment is out the window now.
That's likely been the case for weeks now, and the sooner we accept that covid19 is essentially endemic, the better. At this point, the amount of disruption that would be caused by attempting to rigorously contain the virus seems worse than the costs and lives lost due to simply letting it run its course. I think Elon is absolutely right. Loved his tweet. Condolences to anyone who loses a family member or becomes disabled due to covid19. But we have much bigger problems that deserve more attention than this virus, including climate change, air pollution, vehicle accidents, etc.

"Statistically, 1 person out of 200 people who are exposed to a COVID-19 positive individual, will become COVID-19 positive (0.5% transmission rate in the general public)."

I can't find that on the CDC website. Does anyone know whether it's accurate? It phrasing is highly confident, and I don't see how they can know that without a large degree of error.
WHO China report says 3-10% reinfection to family members.

“preliminary studies ongoing in Guangdong estimate the secondary attack rate in households ranges from 3-10%.”

Source https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

page 8

But of course there’s many kinds of exposure.

Last edited:
It feels like thus was always the plan in the USA now. Just let it run it’s course and deny its presence due to lack of testing. Conflate the disease with the seasonal flu. Say it was a bad flu season, which I have heard repeatedly. Trumpet low numbers of coronavirus infections. Shrug if the SHTF and look for someone to blame.

And people claim China is hiding the facts....

Which begs the question, are travel restrictions going to be placed on arrivals from the United States to countries that are actually trying to implement containment measures? Or does the entire world (perhaps minus China, South Korea, Singapore, and a select few others) just throw in the towel with respect to containment?

I concur on the degree of error, simply a statistical base not large enough, since there were not enough tests available, and there is a backlog despite UW efforts

Some anecdotal evidence:
We have a case of a school teacher who came back from an Italian ski trip last weekend, and went to school to teach until wednesday when her Corona case was confirmed (together with 7 other family members who were also on the same trip).
So far, only 1 child on that school has been (confirmed) infected. We’ll probably see in the next few days if any other children get infected.
Other cases of children going back to school after their ski-trip that got sick this week haven’t caused any extra infections at school so far.

Those infection numbers look like good news to me, it gives me hope that this will remain reasonably contained in Europe (excluding Italy).

3 new cases in SW FL with one death (person had travelled overseas). Also, 2 new ones in SE FL.

Naples/ Ft Myers is a retirement community with many domestic and foreign visitors. I just don’t see how this will be contained.

To that point, I agree with other posters that the wide spread nature of this virus is past containment stage.

Ultimately, a vaccine is the answer.

Reactions: abasile

It's a meaningless statement. Does 'exposed' mean being simply in the same room with somebody? Does it mean being within a 6 to 8 foot radius? Does it mean shaking their hands and hugging them? Does it mean kissing them? It is a completely meaningless statement and totally nonspecific from the standpoint of epidemiology and risk quantification. So in that sense it's more misinformation of the type unfortunately a subset of forum folks are continuing to disseminate. Chances are being in the same room with somebody who is positive for the virus is not a large risk variable. Being inside a 6 ft radius increases that risk especially if someone is highly symptomatic and coughing. Shaking hands and hugging somebody symptomatic increases it further. You get the picture.

It's a meaningless statement. Does 'exposed' mean being simply in the same room with somebody? Does it mean being within a 6 to 8 foot radius? Does it mean shaking their hands and hugging them? Does it mean kissing them? It is a completely meaningless statement and totally nonspecific from the standpoint of epidemiology and risk quantification. So in that sense it's more misinformation of the type unfortunately a subset of forum folks are continuing to disseminate. Chances are being in the same room with somebody who is positive for the virus is not a large risk variable. Being inside a 6 ft radius increases that risk especially if someone is highly symptomatic and coughing. Shaking hands and hugging somebody symptomatic increases it further. You get the picture.

Yes. ”exposed” doesn’t mean anything unless you define what is “exposure”.
In Finland it has been decided (maybe it is common international definition, I’m jus a general practitioner and not familiar with this kind of standards) that exposure is being at least 15 minutes in near contact with the patient and near contact is 15 minutes within one metre, e.g. within two rows in an aeroplane.

But in practice they have quarantined people with less exposure. Those 130 school kids who are being ordered to quarantine surely have not all been within one meter of that one sick child, who was on school only one day after skiing trip to Italy.

Last edited:
This was posted earlier too.

Carl T. Bergstrom on Twitter

ESas8tHVAAAhr_I.jpg

Healthcare extra capacity in US is really not much. See this thread.

Liz Specht on Twitter

I think most people aren’t aware of the risk of systemic healthcare failure due to #COVID19 because they simply haven’t run the numbers yet. Let’s talk math. 1/n
We are just getting started and Seattle area hospitals are already stretched.

Seattle health care providers scramble to ration medical supplies as coronavirus cases climb

3 new cases in SW FL with one death (person had travelled overseas). Also, 2 new ones in SE FL.

Naples/ Ft Myers is a retirement community with many domestic and foreign visitors. I just don’t see how this will be contained.

To that point, I agree with other posters that the wide spread nature of this virus is past containment stage.

Ultimately, a vaccine is the answer.

Vaccine is 12 to 18 months away. Containment, quarantining of infected individuals, and reduction of risky behaviors is the only way to prevent catastrophic exponential transmission. The Chinese example has shown that extremely strict protocols around these processes are necessary. I am no great fan of their government but it is the one advantage of totalitarian societies. Not clear that folks pinning their hopes on a vaccine understand that after 12 months of exponential transmission (reflecting the failure of these epidemiologically informed control measures) most of the country has the virus. At that point of vaccine is almost like the proverbial closing of the Barn Door after the horse has escaped. It would still have value, but its value would be greatly reduced.

Some anecdotal evidence:
We have a case of a school teacher who came back from an Italian ski trip last weekend, and went to school to teach until wednesday when her Corona case was confirmed (together with 7 other family members who were also on the same trip).
So far, only 1 child on that school has been (confirmed) infected. We’ll probably see in the next few days if any other children get infected.
Other cases of children going back to school after their ski-trip that got sick this week haven’t caused any extra infections at school so far.

Those infection numbers look like good news to me, it gives me hope that this will remain reasonably contained in Europe (excluding Italy).
It depends on the kind of exposure.

For eg., 6 people who attended a dinner in Singapore got it. I don't think it was a large dinner with 100s.

I just want to bring up something not mentioned yet: Although US's response has been slow, we're also known for our obsession with personal space and personal transportation. Yes, we are cold SOBs which makes it difficult for viruses to spread.
Wait till you find out how many old people attend churches or small group dinners. I hear the coffee shops in Seattle area are still full & busy.

Everyone needs to implement social distancing.

ps :

BREAKING: Starbucks confirms an employee at one of its downtown Seattle stores has been diagnosed with COVID-19 #Coronavirus. This is the store at 1st and University. It's an extremely busy location in the heart of downtown Seattle. It's now shut down for cleaning.​

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
I just want to bring up something not mentioned yet: Although US's response has been slow, we're also known for our obsession with personal space and personal transportation. Yes, we are cold SOBs which makes it difficult for viruses to spread.

Not if you then pick it up at Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Starbucks, Burger King, KFC, Subway, Dunkin’ Donuts, Dairy Queen and the hot dog stand on the corner. Or the supermarkrt where they bag your groceries. A lot of those employees come to work even when they are not feeling well.

Reactions: eloder
Not if you then pick it up at Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Starbucks, Burger King, KFC, Subway, Dunkin’ Donuts, Dairy Queen and the hot dog stand on the corner. Or the supermarkrt where they bag your groceries. A lot of those employees come to work even when they are not feeling well.

Makes sense. People on hourly pay and those who do not have unlimited sick PTO days will more likely show up to work.

That goes for every location though, the US less so. I spent the first 17 years of my life in Vietnam and it is night and day with the US how many people we come into contact with on a daily basis. If human contact correlates with spread rate then there is a considerable difference between Asian countries and the US. I'd dare say between some EU countries and the US. The virus is still going to spread, I'm not saying it won't but there is strong head wind here. You'll have the densely populated coasts taking most of the damage and unfortunately they are also economic hubs but even then they're no where like Asian countries. People here just don't like touching strange people or things very much.

Or the supermarkrt where they bag your groceries. A lot of those employees come to work even when they are not feeling well.

This has changed a bit for us. We bring our own bag and do our own bagging. So places are eliminating plastic bags so this is a bit of incentive to just bring your own bag and be done with it. Some markets are encouraging self scanning so there is not even a cashier in the picture.

Behavior can be modified and better/safer methods utilized for the protection of all. This is our challenge in the short term and it costs nothing and may even be an improvement (not in all cases for sure).

A picture of the Princess cruise ship that is floating off of San Francisco right now can be found on figure 1b describing a Petri Dish in the Intro to Bio book.

As of yesterday, among the sick, about 50 preliminary tests were conducted and results returned. It showed positive Cov in half of them. There are approx 3,500 people on board. One person has been airlifted to a nearby hospital for treatment today.
“Stay tuned, we’ll be right back with more right after this commercial break.”

Good thing authorities recently started tracking down to monitor and/or test the >2,000 passengers on a cruise aboard this very same ship a week earlier. (~70 passengers on board right now were on the cruise earlier, which the deaths in CA are associated to.)