Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so -- per the SF Chronicle article linked in Gavin Newsom's tweet the order covers all forms of cost-sharing, including "co-pays, deductibles or coinsurance." I suppose the insurance company can still try to jerk you around, but it is now supposed to cover all testing costs (assuming CA actually has the authority to order this).
Good to hear -- thanks.

You are right though, the devil is in the details. Hopefully the mandate will cover all associated expenses also, e.g. the facility and professional fees. And of course patients will try to abuse the system by claiming that every expense was covid-19 related.

read my earlier post, I don’t have a single share or know anyone who owns INO nor do I intend to buy a share, as a matter of fact I stay away from medical stocks due to its volatility. I am giving the forum an example of a company who is on top of this CV debacle as I am sure there are a ton of companies salivating over the billions our nation has pumped into finding a vaccine. My message here is simple: relax, let science take its course, we’ll find a vaccine and humanity will survive regardless of which company gets there first. We’re talking about 3,500 deaths in 2 months!
As I Tesla investor I would think you would be more tuned in to the dynamics here. Nobody is worried about the 3,500 deaths in 2 months, they are worried about exponential growth. Same reason we don't value Tesla on it's average 2019 production numbers. We value it based on it's probable future growth.

Last edited:
I agree this isn't an existential threat to humanity, eventually we will overcome it. However it is spreading rapidly and countries in Europe and the US have to start shutting things down like in China and Singapore otherwise it is going to spread like crazy. This will have long lasting impact on the economy already in debt to its eyeballs.

You may need to shut down or at least restrict specific things if it gets bad enough in a given area (sporting events, concerts, etc etc). But you do not need to "shut down your economy" to contain it. Heck, you don't even have to "contain" it; you can alternatively give up on containment and choose to just do your best to minimize community spread instead. The world will follow the guidance of major health authorities (such as WHO) in regards to what path to take.

China's policies like measuring employee temperatures when they show up, having everyone wear masks at work, frequently wiping down common surfaces, etc are perfectly rational measures to take if you want to contain the disease or reduce community spread. It doesn't take an authoritarian government to implement them.

Yet where I am at work it's almost like nothing's going on. There's a hand sanitizer on the wall in the cafeteria, but only a minority of people use it, before touching things like ladels and tongs that everyone uses. The kitchen staff uses hairnets, but not masks - these are the people who make the food we put in our mouths. There's not even advice to employees to measure their own temperatures, let alone companies doing it every day when employees arrive. We can do so, so much more.

Last edited:
Good to hear -- thanks.

You are right though, the devil is in the details. Hopefully the mandate will cover all associated expenses also, e.g. the facility and professional fees. And of course patients will try to abuse the system by claiming that every expense was covid-19 related.

The order also covers all of those. According to the article it includes:

"all medically necessary screening and testing for COVID-19, including hospital, emergency department, urgent care and provider office visits where the purpose of the visit is to be screened and/or tested for COVID-19"

I suppose the insurance companies will fight over what screening is "medically necessary" and can't rule out a legal challenge to the order but the order itself seems pretty all-encompassing in terms of coverage of testing/screening.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
The order also covers all of those. According to the article it includes:

"all medically necessary screening and testing for COVID-19, including hospital, emergency department, urgent care and provider office visits where the purpose of the visit is to be screened and/or tested for COVID-19"

I suppose the insurance companies will fight over what screening is "medically necessary" and I suppose they could try to mount a legal challenge to the order but on the order itself seems pretty all-encompassing in terms of testing/screening.

That’s surprising.
I can envision so much billing disputes already.

And for the record, I'm neither letting the disease rule my life, nor throwing caution to the wind. For example, I still plan to go to a concert tonight (there is no gathering ban here... at least yet), where one of my favourite bands will be playing. But I'll also be bringing hand sanitizer and - to the degree possible - standing with my back to other audience members. Then washing well my hands and face afterwards.

It's not about me. It's about trying to not get sick - or if I do, to detect and not transmit it - in order to slow down the spread and protect those who are more vulnerable.

But at the same time, nobody is served if everyone goes into a catatonic panic and bunkers down at home. Some people should, mind you - e.g. if you're immunocompromised, staying home would be wise. But "shutting everything down" does more harm than good.

It's not a choice between A) doing nothing, or B) holeing up as if it's the apocalypse.

Last edited:
Just a datapoint. My employer here in the Washington DC metro area (not government) is encouraging folks to work from home from next week.

Unrelatedly, a team member's spouse was in the same building as someone visiting from Seattle. This Seatlle-ite returned home and was hospitalized. So everyone in the building (not at my employer) was asked to self quarantine.

It's not about me. It's about trying to not get sick - or if I do, to detect and not transmit it - in order to slow down the spread and protect those who are more vulnerable.

But at the same time, nobody is served if everyone goes into a catatonic panic and bunkers down at home. Some people should, mind you - e.g. if you're immunocompromised, staying home would be wise. But "shutting everything down" does more harm than good.
I think it depends on the risk. If the community spread is common - its not a good idea to have concerts (or go to one). If not it might be ok.

I've no idea what the cut off point is. Even if we knew - we can't use the available data because of lack of testing.

We are in completely bunkers down mode - because we have vulnerable people at home.

ps :

Unrelatedly, a team member's spouse was in the same building as someone visiting from Seattle. This Seatlle-ite returned home and was hospitalized. So everyone in the building (not at my employer) was asked to self quarantine.

Hospitalized or tested positive ? I find this quarantine everyone at the building excessive (basically CYA) - much better to actually do contact tracing and quarantine the close contacts only. But obviously more work so people take the easier route.

Last edited:
Mostly accurate article about events at Life Care center in the last week.

"Officials had said 10 workers from the Centers for Disease Control were supposed to fly into Seattle, and beeline for Kirkland, but the journalist hadn’t seen them. Families said they hadn't seen them either. Calls to the governor's office, public health and the CDC, have not clarified whether anyone from the CDC has come to Seattle."

the-days-leading-up-to-the-outbreak-at-life-care-center-in-kirkland

My understanding was this person couldn't get tested yet. Second hand info and may be stale.
Yes - this is the real problem now. Everyone is flying blind because US wasted 2 months of advance notice to do exactly nothing.

BTW, I don't know how many of you saw this ... CDC didn't want to test a nurse who is ill after taking care of a known covid patient saying since she was wearing recommended protective equipment, she won't have the corona virus !

ESYMWk7UUAAl1MZ.png

Yes - this is the real problem now. Everyone is flying blind because US wasted 2 months of advance notice to do exactly nothing.

BTW, I don't know how many of you saw this ... CDC didn't want to test a nurse who is ill after taking care of a known covid patient saying since she was wearing recommended protective equipment, she won't have the corona virus !

I feel for the nurse but do not completely understand her request.
She says, "I need to know if I am positive before going back to caring for patients."
So, if the test comes back negative for Cov, but she still feels sick, she is saying she will go back to work still? Unless she needs to be admitted, how about staying home until all symptoms are clear regardless.

Sounds like the nurse who didn't adhere to quarantine request in NH.

ESYMWk7UUAAl1MZ.png

Do you expect life to be like a movie? Bring the Calvary and put her in a bubble? She has a 99% chance of surviving a job that she either gets paid to do or has volunteered to do. Is someone putting a gun to her head and making her volunteer? As a professional I would expect that she has self quarantined and not announce to the world/social media that she has the virus. This is no different that a soldier or a POW, it’s part of life. And I trust she’s either smart enough to quarantine or get some help. The expectation for a disease with less than 1% death rate is quite over the top.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bet TSLA
CDC didn't want to test a nurse who is ill after taking care of a known covid patient
The nurse is an idiot.

Testing her now will not make any difference to her quarantine or her health course. However, if testing her now results in not testing a patient with severe disease the effects can be severe. The reason this is so is that most hospitals have a very limited supply of negative pressure, intensive care rooms.

By the time her quarantine ends there will be enough test kits to be sure she is non-infectious for CV prior to returning to work.