Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished a zombie apocalypse series (Mountain Man by Keith Blackmore) that goes right along with the very obvious need to hoard toilet paper. The survivors were searching for 4 things. Canned goods, alcohol (to drink), ammo, and toilet paper. A noticeable focus on toilet paper. This was written a few years ago but seem to very applicable now. I'm not a zombie guy but this was not a bad series.

I'll bet my Mormon neighbors are smiling up a storm! They've been preparing for this forever.

After all no one wants to get shot over the last roll of double ply!

Fascinating first person story of one of the early Diamond Princess passengers, Carl Goldman, who tested positive and was flown to OK for “in-depth” (not kidding you) testing. From his description I picture this isolation unit as he said like in “Andromeda Strain” movie, and complete with alien probes. He kids about taking one for the team so keeping his sense of humor.

A California man who got the coronavirus aboard the Diamond Princess describes what his life has been like in quarantine for more than a month
The end of that is a sad tale.

Incredible - I was in the grocery store this AM to get some bread. The TP and paper goods isle was decimated, water was hit hard but there was still "enough" I would say, and canned goods were significantly depleted, but if you needed something it was there.

At noon the school district announced that all school would be out of session beginning this coming Monday through the first week of April.

Within an HOUR the same store looked like it was part of the set of the walking dead. It's like locusts picked it clean. . .

Fascinating first person story of one of the early Diamond Princess passengers, Carl Goldman, who tested positive and was flown to OK for “in-depth” (not kidding you) testing. From his description I picture this isolation unit as he said like in “Andromeda Strain” movie, and complete with alien probes. He kids about taking one for the team so keeping his sense of humor.

A California man who got the coronavirus aboard the Diamond Princess describes what his life has been like in quarantine for more than a month
And people send him death threats and ostracize his test negative wife.

Wow

Fascinating read. One thing that jumped out at me was that he had a fever, yet didn’t feel the usual fever indications like chills and sweats. That means you should be checking temperatures of people even if they don’t think they have a fever.

Question:

If this is a virus with mild-cold-like-symptoms + a super spreader and has been around for months with extensive amounts of travel (and it stays for up to 21 days) to/from USA...

...and we're nationalizing massive testing for this mild-cold and instituting a country-wide state of emergency, aren't the numbers potentially going to be huge for active cases?

This may have been said. But it should be reiterated. For the US, no known data suggests a wuhan type outbreak at the moment. We will see the true extent of the virus as more tests come out. Until there is more data, we can’t make any assumptions. Do those things to limit your exposure for the time being. We know more in 10 days.

Most people wont feel sick. Because they are young enough or healthy enough or 25 yr old korean female.....

That troponin graph i posted back. Seriously different health trajectories occuring. Most will be just fine, but some will speedy trajectory to death (unless intensive intervention succeeds)

Peter Sutton (standing to the right of Ivanka Trump), an Australian minister tested positive for Covid-19. Everyone in this photo taken at the White House is now under self quarantine orders:
upload_2020-3-14_13-46-12.jpeg

This may have been said. But it should be reiterated. For the US, no known data suggests a wuhan type outbreak at the moment. We will see the true extent of the virus as more tests come out. Until there is more data, we can’t make any assumptions. Do those things to limit your exposure for the time being. We know more in 10 days.

It has spread in the US for weeks without any testing or isolation procedures being in place while the nations leader went on national TV and said it was all “a hoax” and the situation was “under control”. That mirrors the early situation in Wuhan more than any other country so far, so the likelihood of a Wuhan style outcome is....?

Attachments

• ndrew_lawrence_2020-Mar-13.png
    ndrew_lawrence_2020-Mar-13.png
    345.5 KB · Views: 40
Question:

If this is a virus with mild-cold-like-symptoms + a super spreader and has been around for months with extensive amounts of travel (and it stays for up to 21 days) to/from USA...

...and we're nationalizing massive testing for this mild-cold and instituting a country-wide state of emergency, aren't the numbers potentially going to be huge for active cases?

I believe that testing is still mostly going to be done on an "as indicated" basis. ie. doctors and care facilities will screen you to determine whether or not it makes sense for you to have a test. ie. if you don't have symptoms, or haven't been travelling, then you won't qualify. As test kits become more widespread, then I believe it'll be possible for people to pay out of pocket for a test. This is my understanding anyways.

CNBC: Trump urges Republicans to back Pelosi and Mnuchin's coronavirus response deal
When Pelosi announced the agreement, she said the legislation includes:
  • Free coronavirus testing for all who need it, including those without insurance
  • Up to two weeks of paid sick leave and up to three months of paid family and medical leave
  • Stronger unemployment insurance for furloughed workers
  • Buttressing SNAP and other food programs for school children and seniors
  • More money for Medicaid, the joint federal and state insurance program for low-income Americans

Peter Sutton (standing to the right of Ivanka Trump), an Australian minister tested positive for Covid-19. Everyone in this photo taken at the White House is now under self quarantine orders:View attachment 521492

My husband asked if fake news or not. Being reported on BBC News and elsewhere. The official word from him was also in this news story so definitely making the political rounds. Wonder if he picked it up in his country or while over here.

Australia's Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has coronavirus - Business Insider

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Governor Idiot finally announced that all schools and colleges/universities in WA state are to be closed. We will never know why he dragged his feet on this for as many days as he did.

At this rate, full quarantine will not be announced until after there are tens of thousands of cases and hospitals are already at collapse from patient load.

We're trying to be the next Italy I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: Thekiwi
My husband asked if fake news or not. Being reported on BBC News and elsewhere. The official word from him was also in this news story so definitely making the political rounds. Wonder if he picked it up in his country or while over here.

Australia's Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has coronavirus - Business Insider

Definitely true - the New Zealand minister in that photo is in quarantine - and Ivanka & Bill Barr have said they are “spending time at home.”