Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been reading individual accounts of ppl who fell sick in usa. Queuing in hospital, getting turned away. Symptoms getting worst. Plea for help. They remind me of some of the same stories I read from Wuhan.

But there is a difference. The medical staff moral is low. Ppl feel like they are being treated like cattle because there are no PPE. Hospital still work as a business so staff are walking off the job because it's no longer a "calling" but just business.

I am going to log off for a bit...

I have a half mask respirator with P100 organic vapor cartridges (which look like the below image). 3M's cleaning/disinfecting guide recommends disposal of cartridges after use. That's not practical in my case since I only have the one pair and I'd like to retain it for critical trips that I deem at high risk of exposure. Anyone experienced with, or care to offer thoughts on, a disinfecting regimen for such a set-up? Of course I would feel absolutely ridiculous going out in such a device...

Here is 3M's guide for anyone curious.

e5b946ce-e3bb-42c0-b6ae-c9f2c1f8fb06._SL300__.png
"Cherry Wine" - it's almost your colour..

Getting a bit OT for this thread, so I'll try to be brief: Iceland has a company named deCODE Genetics, which was designed around doing whole-population genetic studies for disease modeling, so the company has been repurposed into doing randomized sampling of the population to look for COVID-19 in people who are not suspect cases - just the general public. They found the disease in around 1% of the general population over a period of a couple weeks (reported 1 week ago) - an implied per-capita rate twentyfold that of the country's official diagnoses at the time of reporting (which in turn has involved one of the most aggressive testing regimes in the world). Over half had no symptoms whatsoever, and the rest, generally just a minor cold.

In an experiment which started several weeks ago, Italy tested the entire town of Vò in a series of rounds and successfully eradicated the disease from the town. Again, this is one of the few cases of experiments of testing of the general population rather than suspect cases. 3% of the population was determined as infected during the first round. 50-75% of them were entirely asymptomatic. Most of the rest had only minor cold symptoms and did not suspect that they had the disease. During the study, asymptomatic cases usually remained asymptomatic, and most minor cases remained minor.

The net picture is that the disease was already widespread even several weeks ago; that people with no symptoms whatsoever are the majority; and of those with symptoms, symptoms so minor that people don't get tested are by far the most common. To match with the death rate (as severe cases almost always get tested), a widespread disease in the population implies a low IFR (infection fatality rate), and implies that places with overloaded medical systems are overloaded not because the disease sends a large percent of its victims to the hospital, but because a large percent of the population has already gotten infected. This implies that the disease will tend to play itself out sooner.

As mentioned, the other study I mentioned (still preliminary) estimated that Wuhan hit a 19% infection rate at its peak, and that the disease had a non-time-delay IFR of 0,04% and a time-delay IFR of 0,12%. They also found (as others have) that the disease is highly prone to nosocomical transmission (spread inside hospitals and clinics, generally by staff) - that is to say, prone to spread to the most vulnerable of patients. I.e. that stamping out nosocomical transmission is one of the most important steps that can be done. Both Wuhan and Lombardy had extensive problems with nosocomical transmission before the severity of the situation was realized.

ED: Well, so much for trying to be brief...

Very interesting! Can you please give links to studies you cite? Thanks!

I have been looking into this without finding a direct link to the studies. But I found some info:

The deCODE research facility: 20frontpage

Iceland Review article: Iceland’s Extensive COVID-19 Screenings Indicate Virus Is Not Yet Widespread

Reactions: AZRI11
I've been debating about this one.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=1807-1010-nd

It's too expensive at Digikey, and other vendors seem to want people to go through the whole request a quote thing. Even when they already say what the price is going to be.

I might still get it because I don't think there is any question that it can sanitize a keyboard.

with mouser and digikey (and a few other) you know you're getting real parts.

I'm also going to play with UVC and see what I can come up with. I ordered an assortment of bulbs, both glass and led. need to work out the 'box' and timer stuff, but that's just mechanics.

what I (and others) want to know is - how do we know when we're done? what is the DoD (definition of 'done')? we can throw power and time at it, but any way to detect when the virus is deactivated? that's the trick.

or, if we knew what the equiv time and power needed was, we could measure it (with what sensor, btw?) and use calibrated tables. at least that would be something.

The medical staff moral is low. Ppl feel like they are being treated like cattle because there are no PPE. Hospital still work as a business so staff are walking off the job because it's no longer a "calling" but just business.

I am going to log off for a bit...

Hospital staff is made up of human beings just like you. Nobody wants to get sick and die. If there is no PPE, anyone who goes to work has a significant chance of death or of bringing the disease home and killing those they love. Being critical is like saying a soldier is a coward if he doesn't want to slowly walk across a street while someone takes random shots at him from 1,000 yards out.

This link is a summary of basic science related to Covid-19 and the RAS (renin-angiotensinogen system.)
It is a hot topic, in part due to the common use of RAS dependent ACEI and ARB class medicines to treat cardiovascular and chronic kidney disease.
I'm not sure how many people in this forum will find it informative, but it is interesting reading for those inclined

The short summary is that conjecture can point to either a harmful or beneficial result for people taking any of these medicines and exposed to Covid-19. So far no multi-variate clinical data is available to direct decisions so the guidelines basically say do not make changes pending further data.

I personally am still thinking about the cellular research and am most interested in regulation of ACE2 on the apical membrane of type II alveolar cells. This is the interface between lung and virus.

The Coronavirus Conundrum: ACE2 and Hypertension Edition — NephJC

Last edited:
But, I'd much rather design a 3D printable (at least the enclosure part of it) battery-powered air purifier mask that used UV-C LEDs. The part that worries me is there wouldn't be enough time element for the air purifier to purify the air.

with mouser and digikey (and a few other) you know you're getting real parts.

I'm also going to play with UVC and see what I can come up with. I ordered an assortment of bulbs, both glass and led. need to work out the 'box' and timer stuff, but that's just mechanics.

what I (and others) want to know is - how do we know when we're done? what is the DoD (definition of 'done')? we can throw power and time at it, but any way to detect when the virus is deactivated? that's the trick.

or, if we knew what the equiv time and power needed was, we could measure it (with what sensor, btw?) and use calibrated tables. at least that would be something.

Here's a small, integrated higher-power 5W part by Luminus, based in CA. Just an example of what I think might come in handy. Maybe the UV light could simply augment a filter's capabilities rather than trying to zap the virus in a dedicated chamber?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Luminus-Devices/CBT-39-UV-C32-EA400-22?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuw1rG4%2BG7fpqwHHla%2BI1NcRqfCV%2BZX3gA=

Luminus : UV Applications

Some studies:
Science Daily | Columbia University Medical Center study, February 9, 2018 | Can ultraviolet light fight the spread of influenza?
New Atlas | Human-safe ultraviolet light used to kill airborne viruses
webmd | Can UV Light Be Used to Kill Airborne Flu Virus?
Chinadaily.com.cn | Can ultraviolet light kill the novel coronavirus?
<<
ballpark number from pre-Corona times with somewhat imprecise wording, quote:
According to the guideline, indoor spaces should be disinfected with ultraviolet light with an intensity of over 1.5 watts per square meter. A UV lamp can disinfect objects within one meter for at least half an hour. Longer exposure to radiation is needed when the temperature indoors is below 20 C or above 40 C and relative humidity is over 60 percent. /unquote

Last edited:
Some numbers out of Italy today:

Italy's coronavirus deaths surge by 627 in a day, elderly at high risk

In its most complete analysis of the outbreak yet published, the national health institute (ISS) said the average age of those who died was 78.5 years, with the youngest victim aged 31 and the oldest 103. The median age was 80.

By comparison, the median age of those who tested positive for the illness was 63.

A deeper analysis of 481 of the deceased showed that almost 99% of them were suffering from one or more medical condition before catching the virus. Some 48.6% had three or more previous pathologies.

Of the 3,200 deaths reviewed in the survey, only nine were aged less than 40, all but one of them men.