Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DW and I were talking about this CV mess the other day. One potentially good thing to come out of it would be some sort of new testing device. I don't really know how the current tests work but it should be clear to everyone now (USGov, general public, etc.) that it would be worthwhile for the Gov to spend many billions of $$$ to promote development of deployable tests. Not just for this event but for the seasonal flu and unpredictable events in the future. Some possibilities:

1. Holy Grail: simple, inexpensive permanent device for home use. Linked to internet so that it can get updated to test for new bugs. Or maybe inexpensive testing "cartridges" that are more specific to diseases that you buy when you need them.

2. Decent solution: more complex machine in grocery stores, CVS, Walgreens, etc. Like the free blood pressure machines already in those stores. We're seeing pop up CV testing being deployed right now, why not make it permanent, in-house, and more generic for future use?

The goal isn't laboratory-grade testing but rather simple screening. If Fred in the office turns up sick one day, you could pop over to a testing device to see if you have anything, too, and self-isolate for a few days if you're positive.

Is a more generic testing device possible theoretically or is it simply physically impossible? I don't know. If it is theoretically possible and I were President, I'd call Musk into the Oval Office and say, "here's $10B, come back to me with a prototype in two years". I'd pick Musk not because he's a healthcare/biology genius but rather that he's a problem-solving and organizational genius. I have faith in his ability to pick the right people for the job and his ability to whip them relentlessly until a solution is found.
I’d pick Elizabeth Holmes.:p

Having just viewed Gov. Andrew Cuomo's press statement to New Yorker's on what to do about the current crisis, we are finally seeing from Governor's the kind of words and actions appropriate from our leaders. Next I would like to see Vice President Pence announce as a public health measure the President will no longer be permitted to use media channels other than Fox News to reach the American people. If asked how this might be enforced, he should reply "I shall invoke my powers and responsibilities under the 25th Amendment."

Just an advice. The idea is to save lives.

Here's a small, integrated higher-power 5W part by Luminus, based in CA. Just an example of what I think might come in handy. Maybe the UV light could simply augment a filter's capabilities rather than trying to zap the virus in a dedicated chamber?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Luminus-Devices/CBT-39-UV-C32-EA400-22?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuw1rG4%2BG7fpqwHHla%2BI1NcRqfCV%2BZX3gA=

Luminus : UV Applications

Some studies:
Science Daily | Columbia University Medical Center study, February 9, 2018 | Can ultraviolet light fight the spread of influenza?
New Atlas | Human-safe ultraviolet light used to kill airborne viruses
webmd | Can UV Light Be Used to Kill Airborne Flu Virus?
Chinadaily.com.cn | Can ultraviolet light kill the novel coronavirus?
<<
ballpark number from pre-Corona times with somewhat imprecise wording, quote:
According to the guideline, indoor spaces should be disinfected with ultraviolet light with an intensity of over 1.5 watts per square meter. A UV lamp can disinfect objects within one meter for at least half an hour. Longer exposure to radiation is needed when the temperature indoors is below 20 C or above 40 C and relative humidity is over 60 percent. /unquote

That's a 400nm part (far-right UVC), and I was searching for something in the UVC range (100-280nm).

The 100-280nm range definitely is not safe when exposed to human skin like the 400nm range, but I think its more effective at zapping the virus in a chamber.

But, the 400nm one might be a good starting point in simply build a lamp that could augment masks (like you were suggesting). I believe the 400nm lamp can even be used when humans were present, but I'm not sure I'd trust it

My goal was to entirely get away from even having a filter (as you constantly have to swap it out or disinfect it). So I was just going to do some kind of instant kill wearable air filter if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean Wagner
Florida Stats:
3/21 postive: 658 (603-FL residents)
3/21 Hospitalized: 139 (report only includes FL residents though, could be higher)
% Hospitalized: 21.1%
Tests: 7,237
% Positive: 9.1%

3/22 postive: 830 (768-FL residents)
3/22 Hospitalized: 166 (report only includes FL residents though, could be higher)
% Hospitalized: 19.8%
Tests: 8,821
% Positive: 9.4%

Daily increase (10AM to 9:30AM report)
Positive: 172
Hospital: 27
Daily Increase: 26%
Tests: 1,584

Increase Test %: 21.9%

Almost 50% of cases are coming from SE FL (Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Palm Beach).

ED visits for cough and fever declined from their peaks the day before but yet are still running 30% higher than pre-crisis

Last edited:
If you are looking for a good global tracking site, I find this one pretty good with fast updates (generally less than an hour) and links to sources. The US is also broken down by States.

Coronavirus Update (Live)
This one is good for US.

The COVID Tracking Project

Tracks hospitalization (wherever available). Most of the states are between 10% and 20% of cases in terms of hospitalization. You can also see the negatives for an idea of the extent of testing happening.

Worst is New Jersey.

Positive : 1,327
Negative : 294

New York, despite large # of positives is getting 25% positives.

Positive : 10,356
Negative : 35,081
Hospitalized : 1,603

Washington.

Positive : 1,793
Negative : 25,328

I heard from a front line physician in Seattle that there seem to be 2 different strains, one significantly more virulent. Everything else he says makes sense, except for this. Any thoughts? Have we quashed this theory fully yet?

It's more likely the virus affects certain people / genetic disposition differently. In many cases, you'll have a husband wife / couple where one is significantly more severe than the other (as in one dies and the other is not even critically ill...).

Reactions: generalenthu
Florida Stats:
3/21 postive: 658 (603-FL residents)
3/21 Hospitalized: 139 (report only includes FL residents though, could be higher)
% Hospitalized: 21.1%

3/22 postive: 830 (768-FL residents)
3/22 Hospitalized: 166 (report only includes FL residents though, could be higher)
% Hospitalized: 19.8%

Daily increase (10AM to 9:30AM report)
Positive: 172
Hospital: 27
Daily Increase: 26%

Almost 50% of cases are coming from SE FL (Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Palm Beach).

ED visits for cough and fever declined from their peaks the day before but yet are still running 30% higher than pre-crisis

Does the heat suppress the cases? I'm surprised the cases can be so much lower than NY given the lack of measure in place, Spring Break, etc... California is also reporting a low number of cases relative to its populations.

• Helpful
Reactions: kbM3 and EinSV
At this moment, Johns Hopkins site is reporting 27004 cases of COVID19 with 347 deaths attributed to it, that's a 1.2 % death rate for persons identified as having the virus. Nobody knows right now but let's just say there are at least 10x that number with COVID19 that have not been identified. That would make current death rate in the USA of 0.12% which is same as influenza. Can't predict the future but those are the facts, right now, on 3/22/202 at 1:19pm est.

Anyone that believes China is not trying to sweep as much of this under the rug as they can, read this.

Medscape: 'Is That It?': Chinese Report Into Death of Doctor Who Raised Coronavirus Alarm Underwhelms (see attached full document)

Chinese Communist Party hard at work trying to control the narrative.
Korea was almost a hard hit. Are they covering it up too? Or are you panicking?

Does the heat suppress the cases? I'm surprised the cases can be so much lower than NY given the lack of measure in place, Spring Break, etc... California is also reporting a low number of cases relative to its populations.

My thoughts on these two states:
1-NY: has very aggressively tested, more positives; Negative: Mayor/Gov. dithered is shutting down NYC quickly (which given their population and density, it spread like wildfire)

2-FL: less testing, so naturally less positives; offset-less density in much of state save Miami-Lauderdale area which are hot spots. Also, many older folks (such as myself) self-isolated early. ie Collier County (Naples-Marco island) which has significant population in winter (500K in season) has barely grown it's positive countday-to-day.

btw: Some warm weather countries are seeing spikes (don’t know if returning from other countries plus community spread though).

FWIW: we get tons of viral stuff in SW Florida during the winter (we blame the northerners/visitors of course) even though low average temps are 75 (no humidity though). It’s almost 90 this week so it will be interesting to see if the theory re: heat holds.

Last edited:
Korea was almost a hard hit. Are they covering it up too? Or are you panicking?

FWIW: I believe stats coming out of South Korea and Japan (having worked in Asia previously for 7 years with operations in many countries), both countries are statistically anal).

China's I associate with the old adage: 3 lies in life: lies, damn lies and statistics....China's stats are always fudged (business & Government).