Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why is it that, still, there are no masks to be bought, pretty much world wide?

a friend in germany tells me she can't get a mask there, no one can.

in the US, its not possible to buy them unless you have 'connections'.

what the holy hell is going on? its really not that specialized. its not a new silicon chip or anything - its friggin fabric! (I know, a bit more than that, but still, not rocket science).

china bought up all the masks they could, even ones not meant or destined for their country. and they are limiting sales to outside of china. so, basically, they are not going to be the ones to help us, here.

can no one produce simple PPE?

people are not staying home - we have people thinking its a 'liberal plot'. you can't convince them; at least legally require them to wear a mask when out in public or fine their asses big-time.

but there are NO MASKS.

and no plans, either.
Well at least you're staying calm.

• Funny
Reactions: Unpilot
My thinking is starting to evolve. Given the current restrictions in place, I'm thinking most of the US will come through this OK, with the exception of a few hot spots like NYC. I have a feeling that sentiment may change positive market-wise by the end of this week in anticipation that the economy won't be shut down everywhere for that long. Thoughts?

My thinking is starting to evolve. Given the current restrictions in place, I'm thinking most of the US will come through this OK, with the exception of a few hot spots like NYC. I have a feeling that sentiment may change positive market-wise by the end of this week in anticipation that the economy won't be shut down everywhere for that long. Thoughts?

I’m with you. I bought in heavy today. I’ve been waiting a year to purchase many stocks, today was the day. I’m sure I won’t time the bottom perfectly but with Italy news and other I’m thinking markets will start to turn soon even though we’re about to have a very rough ride in actual US Illness numbers.

How long ago did Italy put in place the same restrictions? It's going to be a long time before there's any good news.
There are probably going to be another thousand deaths by the end of Friday and another 5000 the next week. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I’m with you. I bought in heavy today. I’ve been waiting a year to purchase many stocks, today was the day. I’m sure I won’t time the bottom perfectly but with Italy news and other I’m thinking markets will start to turn soon even though we’re about to have a very rough ride in actual US Illness numbers.

I don't think we're there yet. I'm seeing job losses all around and we are still not even a month into this. Small businesses have already started folding and this will likely cascade. Unemployement is going to spike, and despite what banks were saying about how strong their balance sheets are, I think we're headed for some severe debt deflation. This seems way worse than 2008 :(

Someone posted a chart showing it takes up to 14 days from infection, so it's a matter of when the last in the household person gets infected.

For the USA, I saw mentions of 10-12 weeks and then let's see and now maybe stop shelter in place by end of the month. I do not think either one is long enough and we're likely to have huge spikes again, esp with the Spring Break kids returning home (think outbreak in all cities).

I'd peg the return to business with the ready availability of n95 masks. Having a means to stop transmission (as well as good hygiene protocols) even when working with infected people will do much more to flatten the curve than shelter-at-home orders (with only necessary visits to get food) without any protection whatsoever.

It's been almost 2 weeks already, and I'm still astounded (not shocked) by the number of people still without masks in public. I attribute this to the lack of available masks and not for people being unaware. So it might be the end of this week, or maybe next week.

Reactions: BR666T
It's been almost 2 weeks already, and I'm still astounded (not shocked) by the number of people still without masks in public. I attribute this to the lack of available masks and not for people being unaware. So it might be the end of this week, or maybe next week.

Oh, its entirely due to lack of availability. Everyone would be wearing them if we could buy them. Restaurants (take out) would be giving them to their employees for sure. Likewise for delivery drivers, grocery employees, etc.

Drugs they make for animals and pets are the same they make for humans. really. Just packages differently. Quality control maybe not as good, but usually they come from the same factory and go in different directions.

if it is pet medication, sure
but this is talking about a cleaning product versus a medication. Who knows what is actually in it? thats why I was comparing metho vs vodka, one is a cleaning product, other is a drink.

It appears Dr. Attia has suggested anybody at risk (oldsters), that can travel, should get out of the city as soon as they get sick. If I’m one of those in NY I’d be pouring over community/demographic info looking for good facilities with young populations and booking a hotel room nearby. I wonder if Dr. Attia will evaluate surrounding jurisdictions for their ability to handle these transients and the impact these sick people will have on the spread of the disease.

seems sensible to me, NYC is heading for Italian style hospital service breakdown. The elderly will be better of elsewhere (essentially evacuated)

In regards to Australia, our hospitals are currently A-OK, Today, Queensland only 2 covid19 patients in ICU, don't know about the other states. No point potentially exporting Covid19 to regional towns which are presumably still Covid19 free. different situation in USA

Unlikely. NYC is about to turn into utter chaos, and the rest of us have only begun to get sick.

The news is trending well for death rates, but all the disruption is still ahead of us as cases hit over the next 3-5 weeks.

Markets might see the low death rate as a reason to buy Thursday, I think I would. But what about the looming recession, death of oil & gas, and all the contagion that comes with it?

Reactions: BornToFly
My thinking is starting to evolve. Thoughts?

I'd love for you to be right. And if the numbers we have now were with an abundance of tests I might actually agree. But I just don't think we can make any accurate predictions until that happens. The town I work in has about 70k people. Our city health department says it will inform us of confirmed cases, as of now, we have zero. I have also heard (a few days ago) there are people here struggling to get tested due to "not having any travel related contact" despite having symptoms. I just don't see how we can really formulate a working plan in our current state (pun intended).

Well at least you're staying calm.
why is it that, still, there are no masks to be bought, pretty much world wide?

a friend in germany tells me she can't get a mask there, no one can.

in the US, its not possible to buy them unless you have 'connections'.

what the holy hell is going on? its really not that specialized. its not a new silicon chip or anything - its friggin fabric! (I know, a bit more than that, but still, not rocket science).

china bought up all the masks they could, even ones not meant or destined for their country. and they are limiting sales to outside of china. so, basically, they are not going to be the ones to help us, here.

can no one produce simple PPE?

people are not staying home - we have people thinking its a 'liberal plot'. you can't convince them; at least legally require them to wear a mask when out in public or fine their asses big-time.

but there are NO MASKS.

and no plans, either.

It is more specialized and complicated than you might think...

"The masks... require a once-obscure material called melt-blown fabric. It's an extremely fine mesh of synthetic polymer fibers that forms the critical inner filtration layer of a mask, allowing the wearer to breath while reducing the inflow of possible infectious"

COVID-19 Has Caused A Shortage Of Face Masks. But They're Surprisingly Hard To Make

I'd peg the return to business with the ready availability of n95 masks. Having a means to stop transmission (as well as good hygiene protocols) even when working with infected people will do much more to flatten the curve than shelter-at-home orders (with only necessary visits to get food) without any protection whatsoever.

If the rest of the country was on lockdown then maybe. But people have been flying, traveling and otherwise business as normal up and down the East Coast, the South and the MidWest until very recently. Unfortunately I expect to see "hotspots" multiply across the US in the next 4-8 days.

Once we get consistent stay at home orders in the entire US then we can start the 2-4 week countdown.

Until then we are going in the wrong direction, not the right one.

If the rest of the country was on lockdown then maybe. But people have been flying, traveling and otherwise business as normal up and down the East Coast, the South and the MidWest until very recently. Unfortunately I expect to see "hotspots" multiply across the US in the next 4-8 days.

Once we get consistent stay at home orders in the entire US then we can start the 2-4 week countdown.

Until then we are going in the wrong direction, not the right one.

The JHU site now has the US broken down by county. And yes, the south and mid-west aren't looking good. Click on US in the left column to show only US data by county.

With these sorts of diseases as soon as people are allowed to congregate, it will come back. The 1918 flu had two rounds, the second round was much worse. This disease has factors that make it more spreadable than the 1918 flu.

The Chinese may cover it up as much as possible, but it will almost certainly come back there too.