Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the universities were sending the kids all home. The one a few miles from our house looks like a ghost town.

My nephew is at Cal Poly SLO...and he was also born & raised in SLO. Poly canceled classes and requested (read as "restricted") that students remain in the dorms during Spring Break, which seemed sensible to me - group isolation. Poly is a very hands-on engineering school (learn by doing, lots of labs & shops), and they subsequently announced that the spring quarter would be canceled, and sent my nephew home (5 min away from school). Poly is a ghost town now too.

/TCP

Sure -- I have been advocating those behaviours since this epidemic began and realize their importance, but do the Japanese substantially differ from populations in Singapore, Taiwan, S. Korea, and Hong Kong where much more authoritarian control was progressively instituted to control the outbreak ?

Taiwan shut down things very early...SARS experience. Singapore/HKG huge connecting cities via Singapore Air & Cathay of Europeans, etc.

Japan is the cleanliest country I've ever been to/worked in. Masks always worn, hotels, trains (they have people cleaning train stations, steps several times a day) spotless, social distancing is what they do naturally.

Only surprising item is that just about every male smokes....I'm surprised there aren't more severe cases.

Reactions: eevee-fan
It's a tricky calculation. There is a significant % of early mortality, and then there are the delayed deaths. For Germany I think you are being thrown by including early deaths from the massive ramp of cases, but then using a denominator from before the massive ramp.

Similarly, using today's numbers for Germany, as we know, will yield a LOW rate (149/31370 = 0.47%), just because those more prolonged and painful deaths have not yet occurred from the ramp.

The real answer is somewhere in between.

For SK, I was being deliberately conservative with my numbers so as not to overstate things. I take some issue with your number because you captured a small amount of the faster case ramp in your 7513 number (I think the true "roundoff" of cases occurred soon after they got to 8000 cases). So that makes a small error in the calculation.

However, it's true that only ~3500 of the 9000 cases in Korea have recovered as of now, so the current 1.3% mortality rate will likely go up somewhat as time goes by. Some people will struggle for a month to repair their lungs, but slowly suffocate and die, either due to the lung damage, or other co-morbidities, or organ damage that occurred.

So yes, I would not take issue with a true CFR of something like 1.5% in some populations. But the IFR is probably closer to 1% (similar to the cruise ship, but that has other confounding factors due to the population being sampled). So that would imply quite a few asymptomatic or mild cases. Perhaps 20-30% of the identified cases.

There's talk today about half of the people with the disease being asymptomatic, but I would suspect that is too high, just based on empirical results.

It is tricky, yet I don't see any force in your points, and one is flatly incorrect:

- There is nothing wrong with including early deaths. It would be wrong not to include them, since the number is compared to the total number of known cases.

- The ramp in total cases starts about Feb 26th (26 cases), and the ramp of deaths starts about March 12th (6 deaths), about 2 weeks later. For total cases, March 10th (1545 cases) just looks as if it were early in the ramp because the number has meanwhile increased exponentially and the graph adjusted accordingly.

- And regardless, with Germany's number being 9.6%, there would be a lot of distance to cover to get down to your claim of 1.5% as the maximum for "decent quality".

- And for South Korea, the numbers for total cases (March 10th) is from the time when the curve already flattened.

- Sure, some deaths are from a time when the total cases were a little higher, but then, some deaths are form a time when the total cases were even lower and the curve steeper. In the case of South Korea, this argument may speak for an even higher mortality.

- You claim that your numbers were "deliberately conservative", but, as should be clear by now, the number you referred to for South Korea in that post (1.06%), is obviously miscalculated since it compares deaths to the same day number of total known cases. You appear to be repeating the same mistake in this post by claiming the current mortality rate to be 1.3%, as it is apparently derived by comparing today's numbers.

- You think the South Korea number will "likely go up" from 1.3%, but by that method of calculation, that probably just depends on how much testing will be done.

I agree that IFR might be around 1% (who knows, it might be lower), but the future of deaths per known positives seems to just depend on the amount of testing.

If a test were available we could have and would have self quarantined. But at THAT time and especially with mild symptoms we just thought bad cold or minor flu. And as such we could have been spreaders. Knowledge should be the foundation of action otherwise the action is likely to be in vain.
At the stage you are talking about, you would be antibody negative whether covid positive or negative.

Break down of society ...

Spanish Military Finds Dead Bodies And Seniors 'Completely Abandoned' In Care Homes

Staff fled some Spanish nursing homes after cases of COVID-19 were detected, officials say. Residents were left to take care of themselves, even though some were seriously sick.
And ofcourse always the funny part ...

Helen Dale on Twitter

Economics of Coronavirus: illegal dog walking markets have sprung up in Spain. People are renting their dogs so they can be taken for walks, allowing multiple "customers" to go outside; it's one of the few reasons people can leave their homes. Going rate per dog is €35-45/hour.​

Break down of society ...

Spanish Military Finds Dead Bodies And Seniors 'Completely Abandoned' In Care Homes

Staff fled some Spanish nursing homes after cases of COVID-19 were detected, officials say. Residents were left to take care of themselves, even though some were seriously sick.
And ofcourse always the funny part ...

Helen Dale on Twitter

Economics of Coronavirus: illegal dog walking markets have sprung up in Spain. People are renting their dogs so they can be taken for walks, allowing multiple "customers" to go outside; it's one of the few reasons people can leave their homes. Going rate per dog is €35-45/hour.​

That's simply awful.

Update from Denmark
34 deaths
  • Ventilators: Danish state is requesting&requiring private hospitals to hand over ventilators
  • Communication:
  • Letter from the National Health Board ('Sundhedsstyrelsen') sent to all citizens via secure mail: instructions on how to behave (wash hands, cough in arm, how to self-quarantine, how to contact health authorities, etc.)
  • SMS/text: Everyone got a text yesterday from the police. It specifically addressed the coming spring: ~'remember to keep your distance, even when the sun is shining'.
Also:
Authorities are in contact/negotiations with tele/data providers. Specific request re. access to tele tower meta-data used for transferring calls.
My interpretation is that this, if granted, may be used for tracking. Perhaps the 'price' for lifting the shutdown after Easter will be extensive phone-tracking - both of large groups to monitor patterns in virus-spreading but also individual-level tracking to enforce/sanction restriction of movement for some members of the population.​

since being online is really important these days, I'd like to suggest that people consider getting a UPS (battery backup) for their cable modem or device/router you use to get online.

case in point: I had a power outage (someone shorting lines by mistake, only 1 or 2 seconds) but that was enough to lose the cable modem connection. *normally* it asks for an address all over again and gets one; but some ISPs (like comcast) are overloaded and if you break your connection, your DHCP may take hours; tries and retries over and over again.

so, having a UPS on your modem will protect it against voltage spikes (good) and also you won't have to re-ask for an address since the one you have is already working and fine.

just a tip from a network guy (who went thru lots of hours with comcast, and isn't a super happy camper right now).

we all need to be connected. if you can buy a UPS (just a small one for your modem) consider doing that. (I would have suggested buying a shelf-spare cable modem/etc - but that's not quite plug and play and swapping modems can cause more problems with your ISP, so my shelf-spare recommendation does not hold, for the modem itself)

since being online is really important these days, I'd like to suggest that people consider getting a UPS (battery backup) for their cable modem or device/router you use to get online.
Yep. Have a 6 KVA one. The only device would be a smart switch. Plug and play replacement when a failure occurs (very rare).

Reactions: linux-works