Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following the KCDC link, it shows in some provinces of South Korea like Seoul City, the outbreak is still in full motion.

I think someone mentioned info about how many South Korea cases are asymptomatic, but I don't see that info here. Anyone have a pointer?
How do you figure? I think people are so used to seeing log scale graphs they don't notice when a graph is linear scale. :p
They've been at about 100 new cases a day for a month. One problem is that travelers keep bringing it in!
There are a bunch of news articles on it. I think they found that 20% of people showed no symptoms at all over the course of the infection. There's a lot of confusion about this. Some people are asymptomatic when tested but later develop symptoms. People are also contagious before they develop symptoms. That makes it really difficult to stop!

My "logic leap" is entirely based on the premise of your argument:

You argue that "distancing is unlikely to impact total deaths".

What happens if you remove "distancing"? You get "inundated hospitals at peak". That's the scenario where almost no one gets hospital care.

Is it likely? No. Because we have distancing...

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing now? Wait, isn't there a fancy internet word for that?
Going from our current sorry excuse for distancing(except you obviously) to schools being open and an extremely vigilant business as usual wouldn't have had a massive impact on infection. This virus is spreading freely, if not nationwide certainly in places like NYC.

Worst case scenario is nothing like "almost no one gets hospital care". How is this a concept we have to explore? Imagine if NYC were 30% worse.....would "no one get hospital care"? No way. And that's what would have happened if our paper-thin quarantine measure hadn't been taken.

Is that the case everywhere? Certainly not. But the point was that sitting in your house for 3 months is very unlikely to keep you from infection and infection now poses only marginally greater risks than infection in June. Unless of course you're an 82 year old diabetic.

I counted the number of days it took Italy to go from just below 10 DPM to just over 100 DPM. That's 14 days. Italy took 11 days. NY will do it in 10 or 11 days. So I reasoned that the US as a whole would likely be on the slower side of these three scenarios, so 14 days. But 10 days is possible on the fast side.
I've not followed DPM - but it wouldn't surprise me if other large cities in US follow the same path as NYC - Detroit, New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago etc.

If we take today's confirmed number of 200k - and assume >2% CFR (given low testing), we are looking at over 40k fatalities in 2 to 3 weeks.

The issue is not with taking Quercetin regularly. It is taking Quercetin with zinc as a regular supplement because of the increase in intracellular zinc levels this creates. The cautionary explanation from the discussion is quoted below. I am not a doctor so can't judge how good or bad advice this is, but with so little studies I personally am going to air on the side of caution.

"Because no in vivo studies have been conducted, dosing should be done cautiously. The increase in intracellular zinc levels inhibits the translation of the virus, but will also likely suppress the formation of polypeptides like the proteins and enzymes required for healthy cell function. So it is likely that you do not want to exceed minimal daily dosing(500 mg of Quercetin and 10 mg of zinc) until you become ill. Or even try a minimal dose every two days instead of daily(to be safe). It’s best to listen to your body with this one and if you begin to feel less well from the supplements, stop taking them. Once ill(from Coronavirus) then increase the dosing with at least a 5 hour interval between doses..
The lack of in vivo studies with this combination also means that the long term effects of even low dose supplementation is not understood. And by artificially elevating intracellular zinc levels to unnatural levels, it might not be a good idea to get carried away blindly.
What may be better is to eat foods high in Quercetin and zinc. Elderberries and elderberry powder may be a good natural, balanced source of Quercetin with all the associated flavonoids that work synergistically together, which is very important. Oysters are one of my favourite natural sources of zinc. A single large oyster can have up to 25 mg of this trace mineral.
And by getting them through food, keep your bottled supplements on hand to escalate your defences if you need to combat the infection as an imminent threat, and not a potential threat."

I don't disagree. That's why I've consistently said that zinc supplementation is likely unnecessary for many people if their diet has enough zinc in it, like it would for those that eat meat and dairy.

And sure, quercetin is available many different ways. Again, from diet is one way. Honey and honey extracts contain quercetin and many other favonoids.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Following the KCDC link, it shows in some provinces of South Korea like Seoul City, the outbreak is still in full motion. (Though at a low level.)

I think someone mentioned info about how many South Korea cases are asymptomatic, but I don't see that info here. Anyone have a pointer?
They've been doing this for three months with great success and the system is now in rhythm, as is the populace. They're calm, aware of the dangers, and taking all the correct measures to keep outbreak under control. Testing every single potential case, then tracking their movements and contacts, testing those people, and isolating anyone positive.

Literally the exact opposite of what's being done in the US.

How do you figure? I think people are so used to seeing log scale graphs they don't notice when a graph is linear scale. :p
They've been at about 100 new cases a day for a month. One problem is that travelers keep bringing it in!
There are a bunch of news articles on it. I think they found that 20% of people showed no symptoms at all over the course of the infection. There's a lot of confusion about this. Some people are asymptomatic when tested but later develop symptoms. People are also contagious before they develop symptoms. That makes it really difficult to stop!

Meanwhile I did add a note that it is at a low level. However, it has never been higher in Seoul City (except for one day). So whatever the cause, the problem hasn't gone away yet. (and could re-escalate.)

Regarding the asymptomatic cases, I'm trying to get a better picture about the percentage to get a better idea of the testing coverage and the relationship of CFR to IFR in SK. Your previous argument that the coverage must be high, since the spread is reduced to a small level, is completely valid. However, given that the percentage of asymptomatic cases isn't that high in the first place, rigorous tracing of symptomatic cases, plus some extra testing, might perhaps be enough to get R0 (or R eff) below 1. So I'm trying to gain additional clarity on that however possible.

Meanwhile I did add a note that it is at a low level. However, it has never been higher in Seoul City (except for one day). So whatever the cause, the problem hasn't gone away yet.
The problem won't go away until they close their borders. You're reading too much into numerical noise.
Regarding the asymptomatic cases, I'm trying to get a better picture about the percentage to get a better idea of the testing coverage and the relationship of CFR to IFR in SK. Your previous argument that the coverage must be high, since the spread is reduce to a small level, is completely valid. However, given that the percentage of asymptomatic cases isn't too high in the first place, rigorous tracing of symptomatic cases, plus some extra testing, might perhaps be enough to get R0 (or R eff) below 1. So I'm trying to gain additional clarity on that however possible.
But there are people with very mild symptoms too and people who are contagious before they show symptoms. It seems to me the only way to stop it is masks, extreme hygiene, testing and contact tracing.

'I Love Rock 'n' Roll' songwriter Alan Merrill dies after coronavirus diagnosis
'I Love Rock 'n' Roll' songwriter Alan Merrill dies after coronavirus diagnosis - CNN
Singer-songwriter John Prine critically ill with Covid-19
John Prine critically ill with COVID-19 - CNN

no country for old man. so sad!

"They say the heart of rock and roll is still beating
And from what I've seen I believe 'em
Now the old boy may be barely breathing
But the heart of rock and roll, heart of rock and roll is still beating"

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
They've been doing this for three months with great success and the system is now in rhythm, as is the populace. They're calm, aware of the dangers, and taking all the correct measures to keep outbreak under control. Testing every single potential case, then tracking their movements and contacts, testing those people, and isolating anyone positive.

Literally the exact opposite of what's being done in the US.

That's why I am so interested in the South Korea numbers.

Still, they have continued deaths at a point where naively one would expect them to have gone down further already. And there is continued level of new cases, even if small. Travelers from abroad are a good explanation, although one would expect the same in China, but there it is at an even much lower level. Perhaps China is more rigorous with incoming travelers, unless they are just not really reporting those cases.

Did you mean spain somewhere? Also, aside from Italy and Spain, no other large countries have reached 100 DPM [yet]?

Keeping my fingers crossed on the US trajectory continuing to stay below France and Switzerland, even though it's clearly above Hubei.

Thanks. You'll be surprised at how simple my method is.

I counted the number of days it took Italy to go from just below 10 DPM to just over 100 DPM. That's 14 days. Italy took 11 days. NY will do it in 10 or 11 days. So I reasoned that the US as a whole would likely be on the slower side of these three scenarios, so 14 days. But 10 days is possible on the fast side.

When Belgium, Netherlands, France and Switzerland cross 100 DPM, we'll have even more comps for the US. Plus, we'll now if the US is still moving as fast as these comps. For example, we can rule out Hubei and Iran as comp because the US death growth is much higher than what these areas experienced. I don't expect the US to slow down immediate to be on track with Hubei and Iran.

By the way, Germany is just one day behind the US. Why should we not think that Germany will continue to progress as Switzerland and France? It is remarkable that so much of Europe seems to be following nearly the same path though they have different starting times.

So you see that my method is not very analytical. I'm simply looking at how other regions have faired and selecting comps. We'll see how this pans out. I do hope it takes much longer though.

EUeD-piXYAEHX9m.jpg

Having a hard time keeping up with this thread, so I’m not sure if it was posted already. In The Netherlands 90% of corona patients ending up in IC are overweight. On average our population and even our elderly are much less overweight than that. There is speculation in the medical sector that fat cells facilitate the spreading of the virus in the body. It would not bode well for countries with a high level of obesity.

Worst case scenario is nothing like "almost no one gets hospital care". How is this a concept we have to explore? Imagine if NYC were 30% worse.....would "no one get hospital care"? No way. And that's what would have happened if our paper-thin quarantine measure hadn't been taken.

Say what you want about our paper-thin quarantine measures, but the difference of NYC being at 300k infected in 2 weeks, vs. 3 million is 1 hour of a regular Manhattan commute.

It's been a while since I posted anything here, and I have to say I'm troubled that the tone of this thread has – at least at times – badly devolved. Perhaps despite our connection to Tesla which should homogenize things at least some, the thread still mirrors the deepening polarization of our country into warring tribes. Which in turn of course seems to just mirror how tribalism in its ugliest forms seems to be ascendant globally. To keep a big picture view here, we have no chance of solving the incredibly difficult challenges of climate change – and it's worth remembering that Tesla was founded in the spirit of sustainability – if we just devolve into warring tribes. We have got to start treating each other as though we are on the same team - we are all on the "human team", which is the only team status that should matter, not whether we are Chinese, or American, Italian, etc,. The Virus doesn't care about these traditional designations. Neither does a view of Earth from space, so maybe we should take our lead from that bigger picture. A discussion of why we have fulminant tribalism at this point in our history is probably subject for another thread, but the fact that people are dying, and that many tens of thousands, even many millions of lives, are still deeply at risk, clearly pours gas on the fire of our political contention/division.

If the potential fatality is part of what is driving some of the heat, let's focus on that, because I think we could really change the big picture if we could get a handle on it. If we could make this more just an unpleasant illness with minimal fatality, that would be huge. That question indexes essentially an unanswered scientific/biological puzzle, understanding how this virus is killing so many people – and as I outline below, the emphasis on age and comorbidities isn't really an explanation but instead represents just proxies or placeholders for a potential real explanation. I think there is a decent if not definitive scientific evidence base that both age and comorbidities index vulnerabilities to severe and more chronic forms of inflammation of the kind generated by our immune systems in the context of a novel pathogen. One of the issues that stands out is the enormous differential effects of Covid 19, amazingly lethal for a small percentage of the population while perhaps asymptomatic for another 20+ or so percent, for whom it is no challenge at all. And although this may be true of many different types of infections, the extent of this variability is striking, and is different from many other types of infection where lethality is concentrated in both the very old and the very young. We have to confess that this is still not very well understood. And it contrasts intensely with several other pandemics including the 1918 influenza which was often times just as lethal or more lethal for younger adults in their prime. So that's one big question and biological puzzle box – the differential lethality and symptomatology of Covid 19. One speculation of course is that the relatively asymptomatic already have a partial immunity through an previous encounter with a coronavirus relative to Covid 19. See this link to the New Yorker for an interesting non-technical review of this possibility: Why Some Flus Are Deadliest in Young Adults.

I've had a chance to do a deeper dive on the Lancet data separating mortality from survivor cases at least in relationship to the Chinese epidemic, and compare this with other data sets including summary publications now available on the Seattle ICU data, which looks virtually identical. My prior post was admittedly too technical and probably not digestible by those without a background in medicine or in biological sciences. So I want to walk people through an evidence base for the idea that fatality in this disease may be characterized by excessive innate immune activation and declining or somehow sluggish or otherwise at least functionally insufficient if not defective adaptive immunity, and/or that escalating inflammation driven by innate immunity may interact with so-called comorbidities to create fatal outcomes. This second possibility has been popularized by the discussion at the CDC of a meme that a lot of people may be dying “with coronavirus but not from coronavirus”. This reminds me a bit of the legal concept that irregardless of whether the plate was cracked before you dropped it, when it falls to the floor and breaks, you're still responsible. Ultimately, this distinction between dying with Covid 19 versus dying from Covid 19 may be a specious distinction even mechanistically, if the common denominator between serious immunochallenge from a novel pathogen and various classic “comorbidities” is the potentially destructive effects of a chronic disinhibition of innate immunity. This includes overwhelming evidence of solid mechanistic connections between disinhibited innate immunity/chronic inflammation and most if not all of the classic diseases of aging now considered "comorbidities" in the Covid 19 fatality math: 1) coronary artery disease and atherosclerosis; 2) type II diabetes; 3) many if not most cancers; 4) most if not all neurodegenerative disorders but most certainly Alzheimer's disease.

This notion of declining adaptive immunity with a partially compensatory but ultimately maladaptive upregulation of innate immunity is a concept that's been around for a fairly long time (first articulated by an Italian researcher), referred to as "inflammaging" – and I became familiar with it in my decades-long struggle trying to understand the biological puzzle box of Alzheimer's disease where this concept potentially explains a number of the paradoxes of AD and provides Insights that may improve our currently rather poor treatment options for that disease. I thought I recognized the signature of 'inflammaging' in the Lancet data almost immediately, but I wanted to develop this in a way that any smart, curious lay person can follow.

One of the issues in 'inflammaging' is that not only is the transition to adaptive immunity more sluggish but there's also a modest but intrinsic competition between these branches of the immune system, something rarely appreciated in general medicine - in this sense, an overwhelming innate immunity response can actually inhibit the potential transition to a successful adaptive immunity (this is the type of more targeted and therefore less self-destructive immunity mediated by antibodies and various lymphocytes).
View attachment 528351

This means that folks who cannot mount effective adaptive immunity - which should be the transitioning (after 7-10 days or so) and constituting the tail end of their immune response to this pathogen (and all novel pathogens with which we have no experience) - instead mount an increasingly disinhibited innate immunity campaign, with sepsis and lethal consequences as a potential trajectory. This can be indexed with steadily rising pro-inflammatory cytokines sometimes rather colloquially referred to as a "cytokine storm" or more technically as "cytokine release syndrome".

For folks not familiar with the adaptive vs innate branches of the immune system, here's several neat little graphics that give some insights into this critical distinction. Adaptive immunity appeared in the vertebrate line of evolution a long time ago and it gave a crucial advantage over innate immunity in terms of a more targeted and less self-destructive response along with the ability to learn pathogens so that an early and effective antibody-mediated campaign can be waged against the now-recognized returning invader instead of waiting for a generalized pro-inflammatory reaction that again potentially harms a lot of "bystander tissues".

Although it is still somewhat controversial and incompletely understood in terms of the biological dynamics of sepsis and septic shock, past a certain point a generalized pro-inflammatory state threatens life itself. It certainly causes altered mental status (as part of so called "sickness behavior" effects emerging directly from cytokines), fever (as an innate immunity defensive response orchestrated by cytokine-hypothalamic interactions), progressive physical and mental incapacity and eventually coma. Death in Covid 19 may take place because extremely high levels of inflammation eventually disrupt cardiac and respiratory physiologic function, (probably due to combined effects of both the virus and our immune system), including a nontrivial risk of MI from virus-immune interactions destabilizing plaques (not coincidentally one of the major interferons (interferon gamma) actually destabilizes plaque structures and turns them into floating clot bombs).

In part 2 of this overly long post, I'm going to unpack the Lancet ICU data from the Chinese Covid 19 summary showing how all this data may fit with the hypothesis of disinhibited innate immunity and sluggish or deficient adaptive immunity.

View attachment 528352

This graphic makes it clear that T cells and B cells (different forms of lymphocytes) are the critical orchestrators of adaptive immunity, and are recruited by dendrite cells that serve as bridge macrophages linking innate and adaptive immunity. Not pictured in this graphic is how antibodies chemically attach to pathogens, and then serve as a homing signal for various macrophages and killer cells. A central immunologic problem in aging is that we seem to be unable to replenish so-called naïve T cells (which are necessary to learn a novel pathogen), as there are fewer and fewer of them decade by decade. Additionally, and increasing population of our cells as we hit our 70s and 80s are “senescent” which means that they cannot divide and replicate. Additionally those senescent populations release (on their own and unbidden so to speak) an increasing number of pro-inflammatory cytokines even without presentation of pathogens to various innate immunity receptors. It's interesting that our innate immune systems are capable of recognizing fungi, bacteria, and many viruses, simply by virtue of their characteristic proteins and other molecular signatures, through so-called PRRs, or Pathogen Associated Molecular Pattern receptors. This makes it clear that we have been in a battle with these other more ancient life forms through the eons of deep evolutionary time. The memory of that battle so to speak is in our innate immune system. Our adaptive immune system provides us with a more chronologically recent and individual memory system for preserving a record of and targeted defense against specific pathogens, over and above what is encoded in the receptor system supporting innate immunity. Successful resolution of most viral infections appears to require the adaptive immune system to come on board and do much of the final mop up so to speak. The innate immune system by itself may not be enough.

The treatment implications for this are obvious, that convalescent plasma with its IgG antibodies may be our best bet for a disease-modifying therapy, although we have to be sure that we are not swapping one massive immunochallenge for another, but that should be fairly easy as we have a long track record of pretty good success with convalescent plasma. I'm also modestly encouraged by some of the more recent but still not definitive reports about chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine. In the meantime we have to do social distancing and other classic forms of mitigation to prevent ICUs/our supply of ventilators from being totally overwhelmed. Respiratory support will allow a lot of seriously ill people to survive, but if we can't provide that Due to the system surge overwhelming capacity, the case fatality rate goes from probably under 1% to whatever our ICU and critical care percentage of infection might be.

And that's a hell of a lot more than 1%.

Thank you for sharing your deep insight of Covid19, in the Coronavirus tread. I read your post to the end. Very informative and helpful. Interesting and a bit scary. I understand that you have put a lot of work into it. Hope you will continue to post here, as I think a lot of people are in need for adequate information. Thanks again.

The issue is not with taking Quercetin regularly. It is taking Quercetin with zinc as a regular supplement because of the increase in intracellular zinc levels this creates. The cautionary explanation from the discussion is quoted below. I am not a doctor so can't judge how good or bad advice this is, but with so little studies I personally am going to air on the side of caution.

"Because no in vivo studies have been conducted, dosing should be done cautiously. The increase in intracellular zinc levels inhibits the translation of the virus, but will also likely suppress the formation of polypeptides like the proteins and enzymes required for healthy cell function. So it is likely that you do not want to exceed minimal daily dosing(500 mg of Quercetin and 10 mg of zinc) until you become ill. Or even try a minimal dose every two days instead of daily(to be safe). It’s best to listen to your body with this one and if you begin to feel less well from the supplements, stop taking them. Once ill(from Coronavirus) then increase the dosing with at least a 5 hour interval between doses..
The lack of in vivo studies with this combination also means that the long term effects of even low dose supplementation is not understood. And by artificially elevating intracellular zinc levels to unnatural levels, it might not be a good idea to get carried away blindly.
What may be better is to eat foods high in Quercetin and zinc. Elderberries and elderberry powder may be a good natural, balanced source of Quercetin with all the associated flavonoids that work synergistically together, which is very important. Oysters are one of my favourite natural sources of zinc. A single large oyster can have up to 25 mg of this trace mineral.
And by getting them through food, keep your bottled supplements on hand to escalate your defences if you need to combat the infection as an imminent threat, and not a potential threat."

Take all the zinc you want, once you reach a nomimal level your body starts dumping it out (urine, stool, and skin). This is the case with most (but not all) vitamins and minerals - you cannot "overfill" the tank.

Chapter 16. Zinc

Seattle area is doing a 300 person per day 'random' testing for Covid.

Greater Seattle Coronavirus Assessment Network (SCAN)

I've been trying to put my name in for while - and finally they sent me a self-test kit. Taking a nasal swab is no fun - and I can understand why sample collection can yield a lot of false negatives. Considering we've basically been in isolation in March - it would be very weird if I do test positive.

If you don't get that swab 3 inches in, it's considered a bad sample - so yeah, sample collection is a PITA.

EDIT, the attached image is worth at least 1000 words.

m_jpg200021fa.png

Last edited:
Having a hard time keeping up with this thread, so I’m not sure if it was posted already. In The Netherlands 90% of corona patients ending up in IC are overweight. On average our population and even our elderly are much less overweight than that. There is speculation in the medical sector that fat cells facilitate the spreading of the virus in the body. It would not bode well for countries with a high level of obesity.
Well, Texas and Louisiana are screwed. There are some seriously big people there.

The problem won't go away until they close their borders. You're reading too much into numerical noise.

Not saying there are no good explanations, just want to find out what they are. The recent numbers from China are doubted, but perhaps they show that closing the border does solve that problem. Or not.

But there are people with very mild symptoms too and people who are contagious before they show symptoms. It seems to me the only way to stop it is masks, extreme hygiene, testing and contact tracing.

Right, at this point I am interested in the percentage of these people, because I think those numbers will help understand what will happen in the US (and everywhere else).

Currently the available numbers don't tell us enough, and in any way I look at the models provided by the WH taskforce recently, I'm afraid they are too optimistic.

Clearly masks should be used in high risk situations like public transport. However, can masks be too effective where good social distancing is in place?
I think you are asking if social distancing is enough.

<<shrug>>
It is a probability function. Or said another say, yes ... until it is not.

I personally only wear a mask when I enter public buildings or cannot maintain 2 meter distance from strangers.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf