Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the point was that sitting in your house for 3 months is very unlikely to keep you from infection and infection now poses only marginally greater risks than infection in June. Unless of course you're an 82 year old diabetic.

Call me a old softy, but I'd rather not be responsible for killing a healthcare worker down the line.

The 3 months of isolation isn't even a wink compared to the sacrifice that the healthcare workers are making for us right now.

Even if all it does is to give them an extra 3 months to obtain more PPE, it would be worth it.

That's why I am so interested in the South Korea numbers.

Still, they have continued deaths at a point where naively one would expect them to have gone down further already. And there is continued level of new cases, even if small. Travelers from abroad are a good explanation, although one would expect the same in China, but there it is at an even much lower level. Perhaps China is more rigorous with incoming travelers, unless they are just not really reporting those cases.
I assume both countries are still seeing spread, but we don't hear about it for various reasons. Nobody is immune to this thing and people are traveling, it's gonna spread to some degree for another while no matter what.

China is probably just rigging the numbers to appear powerful and superior. Fair enough. If they have it relatively under control and are so unconcerned that they have meetings about rigging numbers.....then they must be OK.

My guess is Korea is just really good and stamping out flareups and most new moderate cases are riding them out at home. Hence the trickle of deaths without the new cases. Of course deaths can trail infection by 2 weeks as well.

I'm interested to see what this means for Korea moving forward. Is there going to be a mega-outbreak of this in 2022 since few people have been infected and built resistance relative to somewhere like the US where 40-50% or more will get it?

But there are people with very mild symptoms too and people who are contagious before they show symptoms. It seems to me the only way to stop it is masks, extreme hygiene, testing and contact tracing.
I agree, and for an extended period. Perhaps years.
The underlying reason is in part the "asymptomatic" spread, but much more so the "common cold" presentation. Mini-outbreaks occur before the usually effective public health surveillance systems kick in.

Last edited:
Reactions: winfield100
Looks like BC may be starting to level off. Second day in a row of around 5 percent growth. 1 death today. Most of our deaths have been in two nursing homes. There are only 5.4 million of us though. Numbers will be lower of course.

Courage to all.

49725513801_c6ced132f3_c.jpg

Right, at this point I am interested in the percentage of these people, because I think those numbers will help understand what will happen in the US.
I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of new infections are from people who are asymptomatic (either truly asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic).
Currently the available numbers don't tell us enough, and in any way I look at the models provided but the WH taskforce recently, I'm afraid they are too optimistic.
I suspect the models are optimistic as well. The critique I've seen is that they're overestimating the effectiveness of the social distancing measures we've put in place.

Having a hard time keeping up with this thread, so I’m not sure if it was posted already. In The Netherlands 90% of corona patients ending up in IC are overweight. On average our population and even our elderly are much less overweight than that. There is speculation in the medical sector that fat cells facilitate the spreading of the virus in the body. It would not bode well for countries with a high level of obesity.
I hadn't heard that. Needless to say that would be very bad for the USA, 71% of our population is overweight. I just ordered another scale because I left mine at the office which is now closed.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
One more paper on IgM/IgG tests.

Development and Clinical Application of A Rapid IgM‐IgG Combined Antibody Test for SARS‐CoV‐2 Infection Diagnosis : COVID19

This has macro implications AND is also a bedside tool. by having separate results for both IgG and IgM. To oversimplify, If a person came in and was tested and the IgM result ONLY was positive, that could mean that the person was early in the course of disease. If both IgG and IgM were positive, a person might be a bit further along in the course of disease. If they are IgG only positive, it might mean that they were a previous case (recovered - although I dislike that term). Now this is an oversimplification as a doc would use this result in conjunction with clinical signs and symptoms and would run a "diagnostic" RT PCR test with any positive results and systemic tests.
This is the company selling these tests (currently only bulk).

Technical Information | CoronaCheck Test

I'm hopeful we'll have a vaccine in years!
For reasonable people -- sure. But rest assured that on the same day that a vaccine is offered, anti-vaxxers will stand proud, ready to endanger the public in pursuit of some pet conspiracy theory.

A vaccine will never be 100% effective Vs coronavirus over time -- not even close.
A vaccine is coming, and it will be a GREAT help. But it is not a panacea for smarter public health behavior now and in the future.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I assume both countries are still seeing spread, but we don't hear about it for various reasons. Nobody is immune to this thing and people are traveling, it's gonna spread to some degree for another while no matter what.

China is probably just rigging the numbers to appear powerful and superior. Fair enough. If they have it relatively under control and are so unconcerned that they have meetings about rigging numbers.....then they must be OK.

My guess is Korea is just really good and stamping out flareups and most new moderate cases are riding them out at home. Hence the trickle of deaths without the new cases. Of course deaths can trail infection by 2 weeks as well.

I'm interested to see what this means for Korea moving forward. Is there going to be a mega-outbreak of this in 2022 since few people have been infected and built resistance relative to somewhere like the US where 40-50% or more will get it?

Yes, what does it mean going forward. Your last sentence indicates you are still hoping for herd immunity. What if immunity is lost after a too short time? There would be no herd immunity at all. I think we don't know that yet. But this specific question is unrelated to South Korea, I think.

• Love
Reactions: Lessmog
I think you are asking if social distancing is enough.

<<shrug>>
It is a probability function. Or said another say, yes ... until it is not.

I personally only wear a mask when I enter public buildings or cannot maintain 2 meter distance from strangers.

Local grocery store had plastic shields up at checkout with only one person in the lane at a time. CVS had table in front of checkout to give some more space to pass items over to the cashier. Even mask wearers at CVS which is a big change locally. Stores really starting to adapt.

15 cases reported in our county so i'm glad stores are preparing. Without adequate testing, who knows how many cases are really out there.

I've not followed DPM - but it wouldn't surprise me if other large cities in US follow the same path as NYC - Detroit, New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago etc.

If we take today's confirmed number of 200k - and assume >2% CFR (given low testing), we are looking at over 40k fatalities in 2 to 3 weeks.
Different areas can all take similar paths, but they start at different times. So on a national basis you can have things a little more spread out. That is why I would not take the NY curve and apply it to national totals.

We'll easily get to 40k deaths within 3 weeks.

Define "reliable,"
and
Understand the difference between droplet and airborne.

You can also go back in this thread and read the links I provided from medical studies that showed surgical mask efficacy in reducing spread during other respiratory droplet infections.

Let me put this in manner a layperson should be able to understand:
Given a choice of social distancing of 3 or 6 feet, which do you choose ?
Is either distance "reliable" ?

I read this thread more than most, but I don't have time to read every message and I joined it in progress. The thread is growing about 20 pages a day. I didn't see the previous discussion on this.

What I have seen about surgical masks is they are intended to prevent outgoing contaminants, so surgeons don't infect their patients with whatever they have during surgery. They have some limited ability to stop incoming large droplets, but they do not seal to the face and are much less effective than masks that seal to the face like N95 masks.

Though as a mask goes a surgical mask beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Yes indeed. And most people probably don’t need zinc supplementation anyways. It is the ionophore that is important, supposedly, like Quercetin, to supplement.

Zinc is very toxic to rinoviruses, which is why a lot of cold remedies have zinc in them. But I believe rinoviruses are the only family of viruses that die from zinc exposure, though I'm no expert in that. I have found Zicam is effective at knocking out rinoviruses before they start. From time to time I've had a cold type virus that Zicam didn't touch. I assume that was probably one of the milder coronoaviruses.

The South Koreans have effectively flattened the curve, but because the incubation period is long and some cases are asymptomatic, a percentage of the critical workers needed to keep society running are carrying it and don't know it. By being out and about, they are infecting others and some of those others get sick. Very few cases are coming in from outside the country because they are taking the same measures a lot of countries are to quarantine people coming into the country.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of new infections are from people who are asymptomatic (either truly asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic).

I suspect the models are optimistic as well. The critique I've seen is that they're overestimating the effectiveness of the social distancing measures we've put in place.

I hadn't heard that. Needless to say that would be very bad for the USA, 71% of our population is overweight. I just ordered another scale because I left mine at the office which is now closed.

I have heard that obesity is a complicating factor that puts a lot of American at risk. Though a study i found years ago showed that people who were a little overweight, but not obese tended to have the highest survival rate for serious illness because they have enough stored to help them through without it being a health risk.

Yes, what does it mean going forward. Your last sentence indicates you are still hoping for herd immunity. What if immunity is lost after a too short time? There would be no herd immunity at all. I think we don't know that yet. But this specific question is unrelated to South Korea, I think.

If most of the world gets it before the vaccine and immunity only lasts ~2 years, the virus might be effectively extinct by the time immunity wears off. If small pox came back it would be devastating for most of the world under 50 because nobody has been vaccinated, but it's not a problem because as far as we can tell it's extinct in the wild.