Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to look through through web sites on the early history of COVID-19 and how it jumped from bats to people is a sea of mis-information including many conflicting stories and conspiracy theories.
It does feel like some entities might be trying to hide the truth by flooding the internet with "fake news" to keep people from concluding what actually happened.

The mainstream media had reported it was some intermediate animal (like Pengolins) that caught it from bats and spread it to humans in the Wuhan "wet (food) market", but I see a lot of information suggesting it could have come out of the bat-covid research labs going on in Wuhan. It does seem rather curious and coincidental that the outbreak started in Wuhan, but the expected source of this virus would be in south China. So it seems probable (to me) that someone brought the virus from another part of China to Wuhan and then (accidentally?) infected people there.
It seems well established that Wuhan was the "center of the universe" for studying this type of virus in their newly built lab which was very close to the Wuhan "wet market."
So many different theories were floated including:

#1: It was genetically engineered, modified SARS (But I think most experts think this is naturally occurring, not a lab creation.)
[ Also, if it was genetically modified, it could have been research/study on trying to find cures for a potential thread, not some sort of 'weapon'. ]
or
#2: The lab was studying a new SARS mutation and somehow it got out of the lab into the local population.
or
#:3: Someone in the lab went a little crazy and intentionally released it.
or
#4: Some researcher in a lab got contaminated when handling infected research bats and didn't self quarantine properly.

Has there been some consensus conclusion on all this, or are we still wondering just what happened?
Maybe the labs intending to prevent this sort of thing may have (inadvertently) caused it instead?

Yes, it was from a bat that a pig touched.

The chef stuffed the pig. Then did not wash his hands.

Then he shook Gwenth Paltrow's hands.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landig/article/PIIS2589-7500(19)30222-5/fulltext

Harnessing wearable device data to improve state-level real-time surveillance of influenza-like illness in the USA: a population-based study

'
Acute infections can cause an individual to have an elevated resting heart rate (RHR) and change their routine daily activities due to the physiological response to the inflammatory insult. Consequently, we aimed to evaluate if population trends of seasonal respiratory infections, such as influenza, could be identified through wearable sensors that collect RHR and sleep data.
Methods
We obtained de-identified sensor data from 200 000 individuals who used a Fitbit wearable device from March 1, 2016, to March 1, 2018, in the USA. ' . .

I'm not saying any of this is likely to happen, just that I believe it would work. I think it's more likely than testing everyone in the country every two weeks.

Definitely more likely, since it would be the first step. But will it be sufficient, in the US, to get R_effective below 1 ?

In the US, the virus has spread into most corners of the country already. We are seeing that mitigation only gradually reduces infections. So the virus will remain in many corners, even if in small quantities.

The White House task force seems to still deflect questions asking for wide-spread infection-testing (as opposed to antibody testing), but even country wide test & trace would already require lots of infection testing all over the country. They don't really seem to be committed to providing even that level of testing consistently. (Except Fauci likes to make remarks about test & trace.)

Considering how wide spread the virus is in the US, really effective test & trace may be almost the same as testing everyone anyway.

And there is no alternative sufficiently reliable to say we don't need any of that.

Last edited:
I feel like we're living the super extended cut of that movie. haha.
Seriously??? Contagion had a fictitious virus that killed large numbers of young, healthy people. This is nothing of the sort. Again, I have to ask: where were you in October 2019? Were you calling for a national shutdown because the upcoming flu season was going to cause:

1. 39 to 56 million cases
2. 18 to 26 million doctors visits
3. 410,000 to 740,000 hospitalizations
4. 24,000 to 62,000 deaths

Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates

This happens every year in the US. The main fatalities every year are the same for Covid-19 and the flu. Where were your calls for government to enforce social distancing, wear masks, etc.??? That would have worked just as well for the flu as it does for Covid-19. You could have saved up to 62 thousand people had you been vigilant.

Seriously??? Contagion had a fictitious virus that killed large numbers of young, healthy people. This is nothing of the sort. Again, I have to ask: where were you in October 2019? Were you calling for a national shutdown because the upcoming flu season was going to cause:

This happens every year in the US. The main fatalities every year are the same for Covid-19 and the flu. Where were your calls for government to enforce social distancing, wear masks, etc.??? That would have worked just as well for the flu as it does for Covid-19. You could have saved up to 62 thousand people had you been vigilant.

This is a new virus, thus called Novel Virus. Not a routine flu that we have vaccines for. The earlier data suggested 2M deaths.

Is China shutting down Wuhan an over-reaction?

Where have you been? Watching FAUXNEWS?

It appears you have been in a coma for the past three weeks. You've already lost this argument. Move on to the next form of minimization and BS. This form is out of date. I am confident that you can improve your game and with practice come up with something new however.

The main fatalities every year are the same for Covid-19 and the flu.

If you extrapolate the New York State situation to the whole country, we would have ~165,000 deaths already, with mitigation having started more than 2 weeks ago. Obviously without mitigation it would already, today, be much more than that.

I wonder how accurate this is. Makes it look like I'm worse off in Knoxville than I'd be if I were in Nashville or Memphis.

and Florida looks pretty nasty if you zoom back out a tad.

upload_2020-4-13_0-17-42.png

from US Health Weather Map by Kinsa

upload_2020-4-13_0-19-47.png

At a hospital in Chicago, a non-randomized sample found that 30-50% of patients tested for COVID-19 have antibodies in their system, suggesting they already had the virus and have potential immunity.

I'm guessing a non-randomized sample at one hospital could believably show those results. Why it's newsworthy....? I dunno.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok a little slow, but this is for last night. 20,577 came in a little under projected 20,784. So the ultimate adjusts down to 107, and the peak date moves up to Apr 18.

It's nice to see the death rate slow down.

2020-04-11 20,577
2020-04-12 22,651
2020-04-13 24,780
2020-04-14 26,953
2020-04-15 29,160
2020-04-16 31,389
2020-04-17 33,633
2020-04-18 35,882
2020-04-19 38,129
2020-04-20 40,364
2020-04-21 42,583

View attachment 531774

View attachment 531775
Deaths today were again a little lower than expected, 22,105 down from projected 20,577. This again reduces the projected ultimates to 71k. It also suggests that April 10 could stand as the peak.

It seems that there may be more reporting lags on Sundays. If counts stay below expectation, we'll continue to see the end come sooner. But equally true, if the pace picks up, we expectations could get much worse. The value of a tracking model like this is that it helps us see if we are making progress bending the curve.

2020-04-12 22,105
2020-04-13 24,048
2020-04-14 26,001
2020-04-15 27,952
2020-04-16 29,891
2020-04-17 31,809
2020-04-18 33,695
2020-04-19 35,544
2020-04-20 37,348
2020-04-21 39,102
2020-04-22 40,802

upload_2020-4-13_0-35-16.png

upload_2020-4-13_0-35-41.png

Yeah, I thought that was an unrealistic part of the movie. I think if the virus were that deadly people would be scared sh*tless and we would have been able to wipe it out like SARS or MERS (even though those were far easier to contain than SARS-CoV-2).
Would the economy in New York be booming right now without a shutdown? I'm skeptical.
It's a shame that it looks like Sweden is not going to continue their experiment and will soon implement similar measures to us. Though it sounds like their economy is already taking a big hit just from people's personal choices.
The flu is really bad BTW and we should invest more in trying to get rid of it. It's not really comparable though and I'm sure you've heard all the arguments already.

Pretty believable. If you have symptoms you're probably already producing antibodies. The PCR tests for COVID-19 aren't 100% accurate (I've heard as low as 70% I think). Many of the people getting tested are getting tested because they were in close contact to someone else who tested positive so they may have already had it and been asymptomatic or had mild symptoms.
I don't really understand the ranges though:
“A phlebotomist working at Roseland Community Hospital said Thursday that 30% to 50% of patients tested for the coronavirus have antibodies while only around 10% to 20% of those tested have the active virus,” Chicago City Wire reported Thursday.
What does that mean? Surely they know exactly the number who tested positive. Or are they trying to correct for the accuracy of the test?