Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're doing just fine. Masks are mandatory in almost all businesses, people are complying.

Masks indoors everywhere and outside most of the time. That's pretty much the only difference between us and some harder hit states.

I certainly hope you are right. Outdoor service only is definitely the way to go - not a single outbreak in San Diego County has been associated with an outdoor gathering.

I don't think we're gonna have a big surge, but you never know.

I hope you are right, but this is what I was looking at. It could be associated with a particular region (it likely is), but this is NOT what you want to see if your goal is elimination of community transmission. This is a very early signal - and it could turn the other way, but it's most certainly the wrong direction, with these positive % values (if you were well below 1%, I wouldn't worry as much about a 0.9% rise associated with an outbreak somewhere). This is what happens when there is continued community transmission.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 4.24.48 PM.png

I said I had no congestion. When I lost my sense of smell. I cannot find information on any other infectious disease that causes temporary loss of the sense of smell with no congestion. There are various neurological conditions that can lead to loss of sense of smell without congestion, but I probably don't have Alzheimers or any of the other conditions.

You are correct. You do not have Alzheimer's disease or diffuse Lewy Body Disease or other neurodegenerative disorders that cause loss of smell (anosmia). Here's the likely answer. The virus actually can enter through the nasal endothelial lining and also potentially directly infects the olfactory nerve and from there can potentially gain entry into other CNS structures In a classic retrograde fashion. For an interesting review on this see this Frontiers' piece here: Potential of SARS COV2 to Cause CNS Infection. Not great English in the piece, but it's informative. Here's a good graphic. These processes by the way are relevant to Alzheimer's disease (my principle clinical area), in terms of how chronic viral infection may lead to first amyloidosis (amyloid is actually among its many conserved function an antimicrobial protein) and then chronic and more neuro-predatory types of inflammatory process, esp from the innate immune system. All this (including the widepsread nature of anosmia in COVID19) of course raises major questions about whether increased downstream induction of AD decades later is one of the long term health risks associated with this pathogen. We just don't know. But it is a concern, and a research question. All of this is also of course relevant to the increased appreciation for altered mental status in covid 19, although that can come just from proinflammatory cytokines alone particularly in septic patients.

FIGURE 1 | The possible routes for SARS-CoV-2 to enter central nervous system. (A) SARS-CoV-2 may spread to the central nervous system via retrograde transport through the olfactory nerve as seen in the case of other respiratory viruses. (B) The nerve endings of olfactory receptor neurons distribute in the nasal mucosa. These neurons are exposed to SARS-CoV-2 and are connected to the olfactory bulb. (C) The blood-brain-barrier consists of tightly connected endothelial cells, basement membrane, and the end feet of astrocytes. All of them prevent large molecules to enter the central nervous system directly. (D) When viral infection occurs in the endothelial cells, pericytes, or astrocytes, the blood-brain-barrier will lose its protective function.
upload_2020-6-30_22-38-14.png

Last edited:
How old am I ?

So old that I was taught that fresh air and sunshine are good for you.

7 out of 8 doctors recommended Lucky Strikes.

Frosted glass mug of root beer was &0.05
and coke was double that, but you got cherry flavor added for free and free ice.

Old enough to still own that Saab 900 SPG turbo.

I was taught that doctors knew something about health. Wrong they are overpaid drug pushers, right?

Often just think I know what I think I have read. Here is a fine example:
A Swiss Doctor on Covid-19 – Swiss Propaganda Resesrch | Algora Blog

Last edited:
But that trendline the last two weeks of June is not good at all.

upload_2020-7-1_22-26-2.png

upload_2020-7-1_22-26-29.png

so things are not good in Vic, rest of Australia is still progressing back to new normalcy A-Ok.

so on a typical day now, all states except victoria have only imported cases. Its seems probable that Victoria's community transmission is also due to imported cases but indirectly, through protocol failure (eg staff carpooling to get to work). Which then spread further through the community So this seems fixable, not out of control.

but it does suggest that Victoria is walled of from the rest of Australia for another 2 months, which probably affects NZ more than anyone else....(NZ wants all states in Oz to be clear for the trans tasman bubble)
7920 Coronavirus Cases in Australia - COVID LIVE

Last edited:
How old am I ?

and coke was double that, but you got cherry flavor added for free and free ice.

I was taught that doctors knew something about health. Wrong they are overpaid drug pushers, right?

This article is off the deep end into crazy territory. Reading with a skeptical bent would find issues with almost every point this article raises. There certainly is a threshold where a shutdown makes sense or doesn’t but collecting all these fringe opinions together isn’t a good argument for a ‘natural immunization’ strategy towards covid.

Shutdown seems to only be needed for hotspot control. If caseload is low enough basic, annoying, but not economically shattering measures seem to be enough to keep the caseload low. So really the argument shouldn’t be shutdown vs no shutdown. It’s probably more about continuous minor annoyance vs. massive disease outbreak.

How old am I ?

Pure rubbish and likely a Russian troll blog.
Probably not coming from anyone in Switzerland.

Here are some news...
Tesla shareholders urged to oust Elon Musk over $55bn pay deal
Adviser Pirc says Musk’s pay and Twitter outbursts pose ‘serious risk of reputation harm to the company’
Pirc’s shareholder report also raised concerns about Musk’s tweets in opposition to Covid-19 lockdown measures. “Mr Musk has been a vocal opponent of the Covid-19 quarantine, and reportedly required workers to return to work during quarantine, without sufficient precautions/protections and despite protests from workers,” Pirc said. “This concern is furthered as it has also been reported that multiple Tesla employees have tested positive for Covid-19 since returning to work.”

US buys up world stock of key Covid-19 drug remdesivir
No other country will be able to buy remdesivir, which can help recovery from Covid-19, for next three months at least
Experts and campaigners are alarmed both by the US unilateral action on remdesivir and the wider implications, for instance in the event of a vaccine becoming available.

Revealed: Covid-19 outbreaks at meat-processing plants in US being kept quiet
Revealed: Covid-19 outbreaks at meat-processing plants in US being kept quiet
Testing has found positive cases at North Carolina facilities, but officials refuse to release the information
Through case interviews and contact tracing, the Burke County Health Department, where Case Farms is located, does have data about where people with positive cases work, but are choosing not to release it, said spokeswoman Lisa Moore.
“We know where they are, but we are not a county that can divulge every place where they are,” Moore said.

US buys up world stock of key Covid-19 drug remdesivir
No other country will be able to buy remdesivir, which can help recovery from Covid-19, for next three months at least
Experts and campaigners are alarmed both by the US unilateral action on remdesivir and the wider implications, for instance in the event of a vaccine becoming available.

I say this only half-jokingly . . . no other country will need it as badly as we will (possible exception of Brazil).

so things are not good in Vic, rest of Australia is still progressing back to new normalcy A-Ok.

Australia needs to redouble their efforts to eliminate the virus. It has really got to be a zero tolerance policy. If you do not get compliance and cooperation from your population based on science very soon, you may be in for a very bad time, and regret not acting decisively at this moment of opportunity.

Australia seems to take things seriously, so hopefully they'll be successful very soon and you can have your little bubble with New Zealand in a couple months.