Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
U.S. positive rate has stopped increasing at least

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 8.05.28 PM.png

Deaths are up

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 8.05.39 PM.png

You stick a needle into someones arm and inject saline you will see a similar side effect profile to the 25 ug dose. I kid you not that there is a STRONG psychic response to people just when they see a needle.

If you tell me with confidence the symptoms will last less than 8 hours and I have zero risk of long term effects I'd put up with the symptoms of the 100 ug dose to reduce my chance of permanent effects of Covid-19 (I'm more worried about loss of lung function or other permanent affects than I am death)

Wow. Read the Twitter responses to this tweet (below). We're doomed.

Twitter

View attachment 564653
That one commenter who claims two positive tests resulted in 21 positive cases, lol.

Here’s a social media trend maker of recent.
FIRST ON KHQ: 'Sorrynotsorry' Spokane woman who bought groceries in Idaho to avoid WA mask mandate talks to KHQ

And here’s a snippet of the woman’s response.
I’ve read some of the comments and have become even more concerned for our country and state as it seems too many people are willing to give their rights up in the name of public health. It’s my opinion that the consequences of giving up our freedom could be far more detrimental than COVID-19

CSB time, I guess. I live and work in norcal and once in my life, I had a job interview way down in socal area and they flew me down for the day. I'm a tech guy, not a manager type and certainly not a marketing type. I wore normal engineer clothes to my interview, which means not a tie, not a jacket, I'm not sure I wore dress shoes or not. in the bay area, none of that matters. none. 25 years here, working in many kinds of tech jobs, dress matters zero, here. but I got dinged, big-time, for not 'dressing up' for my interview in socal. it was for a big tech company (remote control top tier vendor) and they could not get beyond the fact that I considered dress to be unimportant for a thinking kind of job. one where I'm never in front of customers, etc.

everyone I related that story to chalked it up to norcal/socal culture diffs. I guess that job and that locale was just not for me. and I'm glad I did not relocate down there; I don't think it would have been the right lifestyle choice for me.

socal is 'ruining' the norcal numbers and in fact, I can't really see how good norcal is doing because socal is being such an ass about things.

I can relate. Techie here too (degree in Electronic Engineering, mostly write software). The Northwest is like the Bay Area in clothing style. When I contracted at Microsoft there were some people so dedicated to the lifestyle they were wearing flip flops and shorts around the office in January. In one interview for a contract with Allied Signal the recruiter told me that it was a bad idea to wear a suit to the interview and to dress down.

When I started with Boeing in the late 80s it was still business casual (slacks and button down shift but no tie) in the offices, but that changed to jeans and polo shirts by the time I left in the mid-90s.

I have been working as a contractor for a company in Morgan Hill the last 10 years.

I never had a gig in LA, but I have been down for a site visit at a large tech company in SD and it was a lot like tech companies in the Northwest, just a bit more "outdoor" in their recreation areas like the food court.

Reactions: deonb
Scratching my head over this:

Trump says U.S. would have half the number of coronavirus cases if it did half the testing

“Think of this, if we didn’t do testing, instead of testing over 40 million people, if we did half the testing we would have half the cases,” Trump said at a press conference at the White House. “If we did another, you cut that in half, we would have, yet again, half of that. But the headlines are always testing.”

How does doing half the number of tests equate to half as many people positive in reality? The people are still out there positive whether you test for them or not....not only out there but without being tested and knowing they are positive so going about life passing on the infection to others and increasing the number of people who do have it, having their health compromised and many hospitalized and dying too. Really basic understanding here. Makes me wonder about the veracity of the SAT test statement Mary made in her book.

Scratching my head over this:

Trump says U.S. would have half the number of coronavirus cases if it did half the testing

“Think of this, if we didn’t do testing, instead of testing over 40 million people, if we did half the testing we would have half the cases,” Trump said at a press conference at the White House. “If we did another, you cut that in half, we would have, yet again, half of that. But the headlines are always testing.”

How does doing half the number of tests equate to half as many people positive in reality? The people are still out there positive whether you test for them or not....not only out there but without being tested and knowing they are positive so going about life passing on the infection to others and increasing the number of people who do have it, having their health compromised and many hospitalized and dying too. Really basic understanding here. Makes me wonder about the veracity of the SAT test statement Mary made in her book.

Trump has the same level of sophistication as a child who thinks that covering their eyes means nobody can see them. He's been stuck in the terrible twos for 70 years.

How does doing half the number of tests equate to half as many people positive in reality?
You are thinking of infections while Chuckie is talking about 'cases'; that is, infections that are antigen test positive.

The real problem with his statement is that tests are not random and they are NOT uniform. If you think of the tested daily universe as a series of concentric rings, the inner ring are people being admitted to a hospital with unexplained pneumonia. Close to 100% of them are Covid. The next ring are people in the ER with fever, cough and an exposure history. Say 70% of that group are Covid. The next group are people with fever and cough who present to their doctors. Perhaps 50% of that group are positive. As testing expands people are included who have increasingly less likelihood of having acute Covid. If testing drops, it drops from the outer rings.

Ergo (and presuming other effects are not also in play),
If you reduce testing, the overall positivity rate for the day goes up
If you increase testing, the overall positivity rate goes down.
But you never reach a proportional correspondence.

Chuckie's statement implies that the daily positive testing percentage stays constant when the cohort size changes but that is obviously false. I do not doubt that Chuckie paid for his SAT.

----
As an aside, trump is not the only politician with an acute deficiency of arithmetic and reasoning literacy. All these politicians who only pay attention to the daily percent of tests positive without looking at the wider context are idiots. A fairer statement is "all else being equal, the trend in % positive cases says something about the epidemic."

And a real programmer chooses a variable size large enough to do the job from the start... :)

Good point.
Us old fogies remember having to rewrite code because of memory limitations.
Back in the days of Altair having 4K or if lucky 8K of ram are long gone.

My first PC was a Altair with 1K (1024 x 8 bits) of memory connected to an Olivetti telatype.
110 baud paper tape with punch. Switches on the front to toggle in a program so it could read the paper tape.

Good times.

Reactions: jerry33
today I went out for some errands, one of which was to a 'UPS store' (used to be mailboxes etc). people were spaced well apart and everyone was masked, even a little kid that was there. it was kind of cool - 100% participation.

an odd thing, though; a guy was there at the middle table, *doing his taxes*. and I don't mean stamping the envelope and getting a receipt. the bloke was thumbing thru his phone, writing in pen on the tax forms. it went on for the half hour I was in line; I have no idea how long he was there after I left.

I don't get it. when I go out, I want to minimize my public exposure time. this guy had no need of being in public, inside the fairly small mailboxes store, doing his damned taxes by hand in pen while others are in line trying to drop off boxes and get receipts.

did he think that things were 100.00% ok as long as we were masked? masks HELP but they are not 100% and it does not seem wise to LINGER in stores, for no damned reason!

wtf. seriously.
You're lucky, I recently visited the UPS store near my house, no one was wearing a mask but myself, not the UPS delivery truck driver, shopkeepers or patrons. A short drive the the FedEx store was just the opposite. I informed UPS Corporate where I will be shipping for the next decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: HG Wells
So now the WH is taking over control of the hospital reporting on covid, not the CDC.

Coronavirus hospital data will now be sent to Trump administration instead of CDC - CNNPolitics

yes, I was reading and hearing about this last nite.

is this a legal requirement, that hospitals must choose *one* place to submit data to? it does not seem like it would be a forced thing, but I'm not in that domain at all.

all the comments I read were that this is unprecedented and no former president would have dared to 're-route' science and health data to a political organization! and that's the only reason anyone can think of, why this re-route is being pushed.

I hope the hospitals reject this BS request and I hope its truly a request and not a legal demand. that would be beyond absurd.

The Times said hospitals are to begin reporting the data to HHS on Wednesday, noting also that the "database that will receive new information is not open to the public, which could affect the work of scores of researchers, modelers and health officials who rely on C.D.C. data to make projections and crucial decisions."

I think we see what its all about, right there.

I hope there is a lawsuit over this, at the very least.

HEY WORLD: see how banana we've become? lesson: don't become like this! don't ever vote for someone 'just as a joke'. voting has consequences. learn your lesson from us. we're now the poster child for how NOT to run a country. (deep deep sigh...)

Good point.
Us old fogies remember having to rewrite code because of memory limitations.
Back in the days of Altair having 4K or if lucky 8K of ram are long gone.

My first PC was a Altair with 1K (1024 x 8 bits) of memory connected to an Olivetti telatype.
110 baud paper tape with punch. Switches on the front to toggle in a program so it could read the paper tape.

Good times.

My first gig at Boeing was maintenance programming of a system originally designed in the late 70s and had been expanded into a Frankenstein monster. Each chassis could hold 20 cards that were about 30 inches square. Each card had its own Z-80 processor. The processor could only use 16K of RAM at a time, but you could page to up to 4 pages of memory. Everything was written in assembly and we were right at the end of the 64K of storage available. The fixed storage was on UV erasable PROMs and it took about 2 hours to go from editing to testing.

Most of the code was all one module and we needed to run printouts and hand mark it before coding in the changes. The printout of the main module was about 6 inches thick.

My manager was a big fan of this system because it was his crowning achievement before getting promoted. One day I was a hero when I found a big block of code that had probably been written by someone when they were bored and trying to be creative. It was several pages of code, but when I mapped out what it actually did I could replace it all with two lines. That gave us almost a full Kilobyte of space to play with.

When the 777 program started ramping up funds became available to replace old systems. We bought some cards that went in a commercial card cage with some of the first 68040s on them. It was a world of difference. In a few months I rewrote all the functions that chassis did in C and we replaced the giant system with 5 VME cards in a card cage that practically screamed compared to the old system.

We had one guy on our team who was one of the best debuggers I have ever seen. Tell him that a particular LED turned on for no apparent reason every Tuesday at 2:15 and he'll figure out why. We ran into some weird problems too. The 68040 was so new he found a slew of bugs in the processor's microcode. He had several calls with Motorola's engineers.

We also had a problem that large racks of card cages would sometimes start behaving very oddly, but only if they had been left running for a few days. It turned out that all the power supplies in each card cage had its own switching power supply. A quirk of switching power supplies it they induce a small current spike on the incoming power line when they switch. The spike is usually so small it doesn't affect anything. But another quirk of switch power supplies is that if you power up a bunch of them on the same building circuit, they will start off switching randomly compared to one another, but over time they will synchronize so they all switch at once. All those small current spikes were happening at exactly the same time and it could amount to 1500 amps in a very short spike. this would cause havoc with the grounding of the whole rack and was causing the problems.

So now the WH is taking over control of the hospital reporting on covid, not the CDC.

Coronavirus hospital data will now be sent to Trump administration instead of CDC - CNNPolitics

I suspect they plan to cook the books before reporting the numbers, but the real data will get out there.