Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
US Stock market valuations suggest a belief the current underemployed rate (16%) won’t stick around long OR that the fed’s printing will make up for it. With school not back to full time in person sessions I don’t see how productivity and employment can return to ‘normal.’
My theory is that trillions of dollars in direct payments and trillions more in Fed purchasing is leading to asset inflation of all types: stocks, bonds, real estate, cryptocurrencies, etc. People are also paying down credit card debt and stuffing money into bank accounts. There's just a lot of money sloshing around.

Coronavirus testing in Texas plummets as schools prepare to reopen

Texas' low number of tests and large percentage of positive results suggest inadequacies in the state's public health surveillance effort at a time when school reopenings are certain to increase viral spread, health experts said.

The number of Texans being tested for the coronavirus has fallen sharply in recent weeks, a trend that has worried public health experts as officials consider sending children back to school while thousands more Texans are infected each day.

In the week ending Aug. 8, an average 36,255 coronavirus tests were administered in Texas each day — a drop of about 42% from two weeks earlier, when the average number of daily tests was 62,516.

At the same time, the percentage of tests yielding positive results has climbed, up to 20% on average in the week ending Aug. 8. Two weeks earlier, the average positivity rate was around 14%.

I'm guessing this is due to the increasing wait time for test results--it's both discouraging, and it delays results for reporting purposes.

From the state website:
upload_2020-8-10_21-48-16.png

The test positivity rate is appalling:
upload_2020-8-10_21-50-15.png

This thread is where I find most of my information as most other sources are unreliable or way above my pay grade.

I agree with this sentiment and would hate to see this valuable thread shut down.

Whenever I read about a new treatment or drug or really any new Covid info, I come to this thread with the expectation that here the new discovery will be thoroughly vetted based on science. This is invaluable and I don’t know where else to go to get this kind of insight.

Why in the world would a mod shut this down? We are in the midst of a pandemic and these posters provide great information, helping to separate fact from fiction, educating us all. If attitudes annoy, skip or ignore!

I’m becoming more and more convinced this thread has outlived its usefulness. Several prolific posters, who seem to believe they know it all, have systematically been pushing out any dissenting voices, more often than not in a condescending way. It has turned into a one man COVID-19 show (well, actually a three man show), which adds little value to a Tesla forum. If the situation does not improve the thread will be shut down.

Is there a possibility that Moderators would simply edit all posts to comply:
  • remove all the grandstanding etc., move mentions of professional titles to message signature
  • remove all the drama and opinnions without references, stick to the facts with references; or clearly label stuff that is "out there" without scientific basis
  • etc.
This way the thread could try to approach scientific publication quality level, only "peer reviewed posts published after editing" (excluding ofcourse questions from the uninformed which would be allowed so that they can be answered).

Is there a possibility that Moderators would simply edit all posts to comply:
  • remove all the grandstanding etc., move mentions of professional titles to message signature
  • remove all the drama and opinnions without references, stick to the facts with references; or clearly label stuff that is "out there" without scientific basis
  • etc.
This way the thread could try to approach scientific publication quality level, only "peer reviewed posts published after editing" (excluding ofcourse questions from the uninformed which would be allowed so that they can be answered).

The purpose of my message was to get some people to reflect on how they approach other posters, as responses can sometimes be very disrespectful (and some saying that ‘uninformed’ posts deserve such a response is part of the problem). I hope the message got through.

In the case of COVID-19 moderators cannot actively engage in seperating facts from opinion, if only because there is no agreement on what is what. The community has to sort that out on its own. In a non-condescending way.

An Open Study of the Safety, Tolerability and Immunogenicity of the Drug "Gam-COVID-Vac" Vaccine Against COVID-19 - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

from Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology, Health Ministry of the Russian Federation

Component 1 consists of a recombinant adenovirus vector based on the human adenovirus type 26, containing the SARS-CoV-2 S protein gene
Component 2 consists of a vector based on the human adenovirus type 5, containing the SARS-CoV-2 S protein gene.

Day 1 rAd26 Component
Day 21 rAd5 Component

Intervention Model Description: An open, prospective, two-stage, non-randomized, first-phase study involving healthy volunteers
Actual Study Start Date : June 17, 2020
Estimated Primary Completion Date : August 5, 2020
Estimated Study Completion Date : August 15, 2020

Russia coronavirus vaccine approved, Vladimir Putin says. But questions over its safety remain - CNN
Putin has announced the Sputnik-V vaccine. Putin said on state TV. "I know that it works quite effectively, it forms a stable immunity." No technical information about it was released but he said his daughter has had multiple doses getting a fever with each dose.

Not touching that vaccine with a 10ft pole.

100% guarantee it did not go through anything like what the rest of the world uses (Phases 1/2/3 testing).

• Informative
Reactions: dfwatt and madodel
Saw in today’s news that a family of 4 in Auckland have covid, apparently from community transmission. This after 102 days of no reports in the country. City area on several day lockdown. New Zealand reinstates coronavirus restrictions after first locally-transmitted case in 102 days - CNN

Healthy 21 yo man nearly dies of organ failure weeks after a mild covid case with basic cold/flu symptoms. After being admitted to the hospital and being sent home after chest xrays etc came back clear, things went very badly for him subsequently and he’ll be on medication and monitoring for probably at least a year doctors have told him. His story just calls attention to the fact that we still don’t know how this will affect the young population. His story: This 21-year-old thought he had overcome a mild case of Covid-19. Then he went into organ failure - CNN

Last edited:
An Open Study of the Safety, Tolerability and Immunogenicity of the Drug "Gam-COVID-Vac" Vaccine Against COVID-19 - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

from Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology, Health Ministry of the Russian Federation

Component 1 consists of a recombinant adenovirus vector based on the human adenovirus type 26, containing the SARS-CoV-2 S protein gene
Component 2 consists of a vector based on the human adenovirus type 5, containing the SARS-CoV-2 S protein gene.

Day 1 rAd26 Component
Day 21 rAd5 Component

Intervention Model Description: An open, prospective, two-stage, non-randomized, first-phase study involving healthy volunteers
Actual Study Start Date : June 17, 2020
Estimated Primary Completion Date : August 5, 2020
Estimated Study Completion Date : August 15, 2020

Ahem, "38 Participants"

Really?

That might be sufficient for a Phase 1 (safety) trial, but it is completely unethical to publicly state you have a working vaccine based upon a test set that small.

I’m becoming more and more convinced this thread has outlived its usefulness. Several prolific posters, who seem to believe they know it all, have systematically been pushing out any dissenting voices, more often than not in a condescending way. It has turned into a one man COVID-19 show (well, actually a three man show), which adds little value to a Tesla forum. If the situation does not improve the thread will be shut down.

As a long time lurker on this thread I would not like to see it shut down. Yes this has very little to do with the Tesla forum. Please consider it a public service for disseminating useful and more detailed COVID-19 biological and epidemiological statistical information which provides much more depth than the typical NYT or WSJ article. I have been watching this thread near daily since page 20 and have learned a lot. Yes people have been shutdown and deservedly so because of spouting nonsense that can harm people, this is not about some minor Tesla issue, people can be hurt or die from some of the nonsense.

Russia coronavirus vaccine approved, Vladimir Putin says. But questions over its safety remain - CNN
Putin has announced the Sputnik-V vaccine. Putin said on state TV. "I know that it works quite effectively, it forms a stable immunity." No technical information about it was released but he said his daughter has had multiple doses getting a fever with each dose.

If you get a fever with each dose and using many (more than 2-3 tops), it's likely just not effective. Fever is an innate immune response, organized by the effects of pro-inflammatory cytokines on the hypothalamus. If you continually get innate immune responses, something is amiss. You should transition to the more silent adaptive immunity - if you don't, you probably just haven't really hit the target. And it not just antibodies, it's T cell recognition of the pathogen proteins(s).

PS the report of "multiple injections" conflicts with the recent posting, describing two different adenoviral vector delivery systems for the S protein, given weeks apart. Hard to know what the multiple injections reference might mean?

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: jerry33 and madodel
Since this Russian move, as shaky as it may be will drive even more pressure on the FDA to approve any and all vaccines, Republicans in the US Senate have drafted a bi-partisan bill with strict standards for vaccine approval, to force the FDA to actually vet any vaccine candidates for safety and efficacy before approval.
Senators Hassan, Braun, Murkowski Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Help Ensure Safety and Efficacy of Potential COVID-19 Vaccine | U.S. Senator Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire

Since this Russian move, as shaky as it may be will drive even more pressure on the FDA to approve any and all vaccines, Republicans in the US Senate have drafted a bi-partisan bill with strict standards for vaccine approval, to force the FDA to actually vet any vaccine candidates for safety and efficacy before approval.
Senators Hassan, Braun, Murkowski Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Help Ensure Safety and Efficacy of Potential COVID-19 Vaccine | U.S. Senator Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire

Can't argue with that, although it is redundant based upon current standards. I'm sure most of this is a lot of pandering to their political base (which the majority of antivaxers probably belong to).

Can't argue with that, although it is redundant based upon current standards. I'm sure most of this is a lot of pandering to their political base (which the majority of antivaxers probably belong to).
I'd hate to see this become the fiasco that the anti-vaxxers keep obsessing for. We need a working vaccine that doesn't harm people.

Reactions: davepsilon
Here's another interesting and fairly well reasoned and argued lay person level discussion in the New York Times about the research into the shadings of immune dysfunction and over-activation that may be creating fatality in covid-19. It articulates nicely the challenges in identifying which patients might respond to which immunomodulatory drugs, and how those drugs may be harmful as well as helpful. But I think we may be close to seeing some breakthroughs in that there may be biomarkers that allow us to identify who is going to need immunomodulatory drugs and who should be left alone in a sense. Obviously for the minimally symptomatic folks, one should take a hands-off approach, but often times it appears that patients start out minimally symptomatic and then head into a lethal trajectory very quickly. Those folks may benefit from immunomodulation. But timing looks critical.

And it argues that terms like 'cytokine storm' or even its original form (cytokine release syndrome) are woefully nonspecific, particularly when you consider the evidence that the immune system has at least three known channels of activation for different pathogens as well as the classic distinction between innate and adaptive immunity as well as a critical handoff between innate and adaptive immunity (which may be derailed in severe covid-19 illnesses) with all of these various channels in a sense organized and also inhibited by different cytokines.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel