Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Red state?

I wonder if the 'Grand Total' (lower right) will switch by time this is 'mainly' over. eg. ignoring guidelines and denying vaccine when available.

yyNCj1t.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
What does this have to do with Tesla? Please take this to the hundred of other forums.

To highlight how the Tesla Model X is the best vehicle for a pandemic. You do not have to touch any doors - nor do any of your passengers, you do not have to go to any gas stations and touch handles that a lot of other people touch and it has a biodefense hepa filter.

Nothing other than theoretical discussions. To me, this seems odd, though. Aren't medical facilities accustomed to not mixing up medicines? In my experience, they ask a bunch of questions before doing things, to make sure they have the right patient, right procedure, etc. It seems like keeping track of an individual's medical records, and providing appropriate subsequent treatment, would be in their wheelhouse.
And yet you would be surprised how even with multiple layers of safety they screw it up. I agree, I would try not to be sending both vaccines to the same hospital. KISS

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
And yet you would be surprised how even with multiple layers of safety they screw it up. I agree, I would try not to be sending both vaccines to the same hospital. KISS
A hospital pharmacy deals with thousands of different medicines and tens of thousands doses a day. I see no reason to limit them to one COVID vaccine.

A hospital pharmacy deals with thousands of different medicines and tens of thousands doses a day. I see no reason to limit them to one COVID vaccine.

Tell my niece. Despite having to go through at least 3 "safety checks by different people, being color coded they gave her the wrong medicine giving birth. Instead of the medicine to induce labor they gave her the exact opposite. She coded and now has permanent heart damage. The baby - born blue - was taken to another hospital for the ICU for several weeks. 5 years later still unknown if he has any permanent damage. It was the hospital pharmacy that did the initial screw up. I see EVERY reason to limit them to one Covid Vaccine - at least at a time.

I wonder if the 'Grand Total' (lower right) will switch by time this is 'mainly' over. eg. ignoring guidelines and denying vaccine when available.

yyNCj1t.jpg
As a neutral observer from across the pond, I thought lots of states were close to 50/50 Trump/Biden. As another poster said it would be better to see the County level. Or at least can you show a graph for big majority Trump States vs big majority Biden States?

I may have missed it, but there hasn't been much discussion of the two new mutations detected. The new one in Europe we've known about for several weeks and appears to be about 70% more infectious than previous strains. The last I saw on this strain said that right now the medical community does not think this strain causes more severe cases though.

I also read that the US dropped the travel restrictions with the UK right about the time the new strain was announced.

The latest news is there is yet another mutation in South Africa that is both more infectious and may cause more severe cases than previous strains.

Africa has been doing unusually well compared to the rest of the world, but with this mutation on the loose things may get bad there very soon.

At least the first half of 2021 could be worse than 2020, at least on the medical front.

I may have missed it, but there hasn't been much discussion of the two new mutations detected. The new one in Europe we've known about for several weeks and appears to be about 70% more infectious than previous strains. The last I saw on this strain said that right now the medical community does not think this strain causes more severe cases though.

I also read that the US dropped the travel restrictions with the UK right about the time the new strain was announced.

The latest news is there is yet another mutation in South Africa that is both more infectious and may cause more severe cases than previous strains.

Africa has been doing unusually well compared to the rest of the world, but with this mutation on the loose things may get bad there very soon.

At least the first half of 2021 could be worse than 2020, at least on the medical front.

It is correct that a new genetic variant is spreading a lot currently in the UK. It doesn't seem to cause more severe cases. We don't know if there's anything about this strain that makes it mor infectious (something biological about the new variant) or if there are other societal factors that is causing an increased spread at the moment and that it just so happens that this newly identified variant is the one that is mainly in circulation in the UK at the moment. Epidemiology isn't as easy as one might think and even if there is a real uptick in cases, and these cases have the new variant, that does not automatically mean it must be more infectious. Just a note.

Aside: Sorry for the slightly political slant which I know this thread is not about ... I think the ignoring guidelines and denying vaccine when available aspect of COVID19 being politicalized is going to have some negative long term consequences on health not only short term but long term.

As a neutral observer from across the pond, I thought lots of states were close to 50/50 Trump/Biden. As another poster said it would be better to see the County level. Or at least can you show a graph for big majority Trump States vs big majority Biden States?
Here is an interactive map that show the percentage splits down to the county level. I was surprised by some areas I knew.

Election results maps 2020: See how many people voted, county numbers

Tl211zj.jpg

From the HealthData Gov report:
https://beta.healthdata.gov/National/COVID-19-Community-Profile-Report/gqxm-d9w9

JjJkR4T.jpg

Aside: Sorry for the slightly political slant which I know this thread is not about ... I think the ignoring guidelines and denying vaccine when available aspect of COVID19 being politicalized is going to have some negative long term consequences on health not only short term but long term.

Here is an interactive map that show the percentage splits down to the county level. I was surprised by some areas I knew.

Election results maps 2020: See how many people voted, county numbers

Tl211zj.jpg

From the HealthData Gov report:
https://beta.healthdata.gov/National/COVID-19-Community-Profile-Report/gqxm-d9w9

JjJkR4T.jpg
The last map is not a valid comparison. It needs to show deaths per number of population. Most of the red counties have few people in them compared to the urban ones. Even if they were to all die it wouldn’t necessarily look bad.

The last map is not a valid comparison. It needs to show deaths per number of population. Most of the red counties have few people in them compared to the urban ones. Even if they were to all die it wouldn’t necessarily look bad.

Exactly. Absolute numbers give us little information. "Relative" numbers are what we need to see. California has @40 million people. That map makes it look bad in California when in reality we are @39th in death rate between states.

U.S. COVID-19 death rate by state | Statista

Exactly. Absolute numbers give us little information. "Relative" numbers are what we need to see. California has @40 million people. That map makes it look bad in California when in reality we are @39th in death rate between states.
You are both 100% correct. My gut said that map seemed puzzling but I just saw it from a link above after I found the percentage one. I should have thought about it more as it seems so obvious now especially because I usually do focus on relative population when looking at this type of data.

Mods ... free free to delete the last map in my previous post.

I had read earlier in week about US letting in passengers from UK. Also knew about the new strain there that resulted in other countries to close their borders to UK travelers. So early on we close our border to flights from China because of concerns about virus spread yet now we don’t stop them from UK. What does that really say about the reason for China and not UK; and what does it say about a WH program aimed at infecting as many people as possible towards achieving herd immunity and a growing number of its citizens dying. These are rhetorical questions BTW as I think we know the truth on both.

Last edited:
I would put the blame on UK pubs being open during flu season and people behaving stupidly.

Eat Out to Help Out was a very bad idea and it helped kick COVID spread into high gear. For those who don't know the UK government tried to get the restaurant sector going again by offering a government incentive to eat at a restaurant. I think it was up to 10 pounds a person.

The pubs were allowed to be open but people could only have a "substantial meal" with each drink. If I pub wasn't able to serve a meal, they couldn't be open. There was a lot of debate over whether a Scotch egg was a substantial meal. (Scotch eggs sounds disgusting personally, but I guess they are popular there.)

Washington state already has a law requiring any place serving alcohol has to have the ability to serve hot food (not microwaved). There are some bars that actually serve decent food.

This is a good site for county level information
Per capita covid-19 cases and deaths