Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A stat I couldn't find is the amount of money saved from decreased Social Security payments (from early deaths) vs higher payments from disability due to long covid issues. . .

Unrelated to your post above: Searching and looking at Twitter hashtag #longcovid is eye opening. By chance I saw the tweet below and it reminded me of your comment.

Unrelated to your post above: Searching and looking at Twitter hashtag #longcovid is eye opening. By chance I saw the tweet below and it reminded me of your comment.

Interesting. In addition to the expenses for covid claims the revenue side of social security was also hit and those 2 factors outweighed the cost savings from the early deaths caused by covid.

"For Social Security, the loss of payroll tax revenue outweighed any savings from what the program would have paid out to people whose lives were lost in the pandemic. "

Preliminary data, published online Wednesday, gives us the first look at how omicron may behave inside the respiratory tract — and the data offers a tantalizing clue as to why this heavily mutated variant is spreading so fast and even outcompeting delta.

The omicron variant multiplies about 70 times faster inside human respiratory tract tissue than the delta variant does, scientists at the University of Hong Kong report. The variant reaches also higher levels in the tissue, compared to delta, 48 hours after infection.

"That's amazing," says immunologist Wilfredo Garcia-Beltran, who's a fellow at the Ragon Institute of Massachusetts General Hospital and wasn't involved in the study. This finding indicates that mutations in omicron have sped up the process of entering or replicating (or both) inside the tissue.

Via: Andy Slavitt -- Former Biden White House Sr Advisor for COVID Response, past head of Medicare/Medicaid for Obama. Author “Preventable” and host: @inthebubblepod
705.1K Followers

Thread by @ASlavitt on Thread Reader App

COVID Update: Omicron will peak in the US in the third [week] in January according to a consensus of 10 scientists we interviewed. 1/
So far Omicron is doubling every 2-4 days, extraordinarily fast. People with prior infections or have been vaccinated but not boosted are right in the path of the spread.
This makes the spread 2-3x as fast as Delta. 2/
Even with a limited understanding of the severity of Omicron, it feels like this implies some concerning news and some better news (it’s all relative at this point). 3/
Omicron is 3% of samples taken in the US, but is 12% in some parts of the country like New York. In Europe and the US, it appears to be fitter than Delta. 4/
For some period of time we live with both variants but eventually Omicron May have a binding advantage to the cells.
A majority of the scientists we spoke to see Omicron soon outcompeting Delta. Some see a twin pandemic. 5/
Doubling every 3 days is a little jarring. 100,000 cases at Christmas would turn into 400,000 cases by New Years’ Eve.
Holiday travel & family gatherings will be like gathering kindling together in a path during a blazing fire. 6/
Meanwhile large parts of the public are fatigued, unvaccinated & disbelieving.
Many will get only mild illness & don’t think it’s worth disrupting their lives. 7/
Our principal fear now is the ability of our hospitals to meet the overwhelming rush of cases in a short period.
Several states are telling me they are cancelling elective procedures and we haven’t even begun to see Omicron cases. 8/
Those who have been boosted with an mRNA vaccine, will have strong protection.
But by Christmas, at the current rate, less than 1/4 of the country will have been boosted. What we are witnessing in the UK will be worse here. 9/
Colleges, sports leagues and schools are already seeing outbreaks & are temporarily suspending. Offices that can are keeping people at home.
As hospitals fill, governors will come to grips with other stronger steps they need to take. Many won’t act until it’s too late. 10/
Policy reactions are hard when people’s different circumstances suggest they want a targeted response when in a pandemic, only a broad response will protect the onslaught to hospitals. 11/
In an election year too many governors are too slow to take tough policy responses. December & January are a time for proactive and unpopular actions. 12/
If there’s a blessing here, it’s that the quicker waves come at us, the quicker they peak & decline. Delta blew through in 2 months times. Most of the scientists think Omicron will rise & fall at least that quickly. Watching SA & the UK will help us know. 13/
If cases peak in the third week in January, hospitalizations peak weeks later. Some see a short but significant disruption.
With boosters, more rapid tests & a 90% effective oral anti-viral, the winter wave & a hospital crush could end up a short-lived challenge. 14/
The president and governors should square up with people on the significance of the challenge we face. It’s their job to ask of people whatever it takes to save lives & allow hospitals to operate. 15/
If I were communicating this challenge to the country, I would emphasize that whatever sacrifice is required will be short-lived & we will be able to get back to business, school, work & travel. 16/
It’s also time to get the tools— boosters, rapid tests & therapies— accelerated into the field.
Omicron requires Congress to come back together to pass $100 billion for free ubiquitous rapid tests, surveillance & additional vaccines for low & mid income countries.17/
Meanwhile, the reactionary Republican responses like that of Eric Schmidt in Missouri, who wants to end reporting of cases entirely; should be called out for what they are: ignorance on a lethal scale.18/
Scientists interviewed include: Osterholm, Agus, Offit, Hotez, Dean, Jetelina, Gounder, Wachter & Fitzpatrick.
Hear them & others with their full rundown on Omicron & 2022 Monday on @inthebubblepod.
end/

Sounds like there are predictions out there of 1 million cases per day in the US soon. I guess it seems possible that may be a bit on the high side? We’ll see if it turns out to be more mild! But with that sort of growth, it is going to be very stressful in a couple weeks Over quickly though.

Sounds like there are predictions out there of 1 million cases per day in the US soon. I guess it seems possible that may be a bit on the high side? We’ll see if it turns out to be more mild! But with that sort of growth, it is going to be very stressful in a couple weeks Over quickly though.
I hope these 1 million+ cases/day scenarios are worst case where basically no one does anything extra to prevent the spread (no masking, no social distancing, no increase in vaccination, etc).

Current data visualazations from Johns Hopkins.

1639689423722.png

1639689564533.png

I hope these 1 million+ cases/day scenarios are worst case where basically no one does anything extra to prevent the spread (no masking, no social distancing, no increase in vaccination, etc).

I don't know what the assumptions are. When the numbers get that high it's hard to predict human behavior. Verdict still out on severity, very hard to judge. Personally I doubt it's milder enough to counter the massive case load but I hope I'm wrong. There's evidence that it reproduces less well in lung tissue but this is just a datapoint, hard to say right now.

Current data visualazations from Johns Hopkins.

View attachment 745059
View attachment 745060

Calm before the storm I guess. Soon, curve will be flat if rotated 90 degrees. :)

Investigation in Norway about the Omicron outbreak: Norwegian health authorities; Norwegian Institute of Public Health (NIPH) have finally posted their first official report with findings about the Omikron virus spread at the Scatec x-mas dinner in the restaurant “Louise”, in Oslo, Norway. They have interviewed the participants in one to one interviews, lasting for one hour each person. All the findings so far are included. Pls see this link for the official report: Eurosurveillance | Outbreak caused by the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant in Norway, November to December 2021
78AD99D2-2A93-4D1C-BC9E-84045F748F2F.png

Last edited:
Investigation in Norway about the Omicron outbreak: Norwegian health authorities; Norwegian Institute of Public Health (NIPH) have finally posted their first official report with findings about the Omikron virus spread at the Scatec x-mas dinner in the restaurant “Louise”, in Oslo, Norway. They have interviewed the participants in one to one interviews, lasting for one hour each person. All the findings so far are included. Pls see this link for the official report: Eurosurveillance | Outbreak caused by the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant in Norway, November to December 2021
View attachment 745136
No boosters, all fully vaccinated, attack rate 74%. Omicron.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G and jerry33
a) What does the below mean for states that were treating monoclonal antibody treatment like a solution (FL, TX, MS, TN, GA, LA, etc) ?!?!?

mOByiKt.jpg

b) Below via: Biden's team tightens grip on state use of Covid antibody treatments
But demand from a handful of southern states has exploded since then, state and federal officials said, raising concerns they were consuming a disproportionate amount of the national supply. Seven states — Texas, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana and Alabama — accounted for 70 percent of all orders in early September.

Last edited:
a) What does the below mean for states that were treating monoclonal antibody treatment like a solution (FL, TX, MS, TN, GA, LA, etc) ?!?!?

mOByiKt.jpg

b) Below via: Biden's team tightens grip on state use of Covid antibody treatments
Paxlovid can’t be approved soon enough. Unfortunately there won’t be enough doses, and they’ll be impossible to get to access to, where they need to be. This is extremely predictable now. Drugs apparently can’t be properly distributed/prepositioned prior to approval. Or something. It’s insanity. It’s the same messed up stuff happening over and over again.

Reactions: madodel
View attachment 745136
Have any of those people been hospitalized?
edit: answer is no as of 13 Dec.

Last edited:

mOByiKt.jpg

That graph shows the 2 antibodies used in Regeneron’s product which fails on Omicron. The Lilly product is also no good with Omicron.

However, GSK and at least one other monoclonal antibody treatment still works but they are newer products and I’m not sure how available they will be during the new wave. It’s also unclear to me how available Paxlovid will be.

More here:

Last edited:
Some reason to hope there is at least a possible reason Omicron could be less severe. Maybe the COVID cranks will finally be right! Of course, given the rapidity of spread, the attenuation of symptoms will have to be massive (particularly in unvaccinated people) to avoid hospital issues. Let's hope, while assuming it is just as severe!

Reactions: JRP3