Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there evidence that the booster dose of the vaccine improves the B cell or T cell response. Or is it all about a (seemingly temporary) boost in antibody response?

It has to boost the B cell response, they are the cells that make antibodies. T cell response, probably, they are "recruited" through a similar mechanism. But the lab assays for T-cells are laborious, even for academic and pharma labs.

Repeated exposure to the SAME epitopes (i.e. the same vaccine with the exact same genetic sequence) will plateau a response. Sure, a 4th dose of the same vaccine might get you levels moderately higher than the third dose (comparing peak to peak), but they WILL be diminishing returns that asymptote, and a vaccine that does this FAR INFERIOR to a booster from a vaccine with a different genetic sequence and different epitopes on the protein. Boosters that broaden the immune response provide better coverage overall than those that keep selecting for the same antibodies.

If I interpret this paragraph correctly that is why the studies that show switching brands for boosters is beneficial.

Below via prev post: Coronavirus
X7yGbXk.jpg

a) What does the below mean for states that were treating monoclonal antibody treatment like a solution (FL, TX, MS, TN, GA, LA, etc) ?!?!?

mOByiKt.jpg

b) Below via: Biden's team tightens grip on state use of Covid antibody treatments

That graph shows the 2 antibodies used in Regeneron’s product which fails on Omicron. The Lilly product is also no good with Omicron.

However, GSK and at least one other monoclonal antibody treatment still works but they are newer products and I’m not sure how available they will be during the new wave. It’s also unclear to me how available Paxlovid will be.

More here:

>>> HHS will send 55,000 doses of Sotrovimab, a monoclonal antibody that is effective against Omicron, ...

If I interpret this paragraph correctly that is why the studies that show switching brands for boosters is beneficial.

Below via prev post: Coronavirus
X7yGbXk.jpg

Especially moving from one vaccine type to another. Moderna and Pfizer are made with nearly identical mRNA sequences. J&J is a completely different beast being an adenoviral vector (pluses and minuses to that).

London is now likely 73% Omicron.

Here’s the latest graph.

View attachment 745087

Considering my coworkers that barely got the first vaccine dose this fall (when it finally became required by my corporation) and may or may not have gotten their 2nd dose yet, I went and got my 3rd dose today.

So put me down for Moderna in Mar, Apr, and Dec of 2021. With no known infections (though I haven't been tested so I suppose it's possible I had an asymptomatic infection somewhere along the way).

Got my Flu vaccine today as well, we'll see how crummy tomorrow is with a two vaccine brew in me...

Perspective from a Cornell student, seems like chaos on campus with no clear cut consistent guidance.

With 1600 infections - how many are expected to get long covid, get hospitalized or die? I suppose it depends highly on the vaccination rate, but with that many infections, the odds of having something bad happen are pretty high.

Seems pretty clear that there are insufficient preventative measures being taken and/or followed regarding air ventilation and filtration.

According to Moderna their 50 microgram booster seems effective against Omicron, 100 microgram even better.

With 1600 infections - how many are expected to get long covid, get hospitalized or die? I suppose it depends highly on the vaccination rate, but with that many infections, the odds of having something bad happen are pretty high.

Seems pretty clear that there are insufficient preventative measures being taken and/or followed regarding air ventilation and filtration.
Someone smarter than me may have better insight. I live in this area so tend to hear/read about these college cases (at Cornell and all colleges in this area). the vaccination rate is close to 100% for the students and staff. With that and mostly all young adults, I would assume most will just have mild symptoms and be fine. I have yet to hear about any hospitalizations or anything other than just testing positive. They are all tested very frequently so even asymptomatic people are included in the positive counts.

A follow up article about the severity of these college cases would be informative. But I assume they are all fine or else there would be a follow up article if a bunch of them had to be hospitalized or died. That would definitely be all over the local news.

Last edited:
Someone smarter than me may have better insight. I live in this area so tend to hear/read about these college cases (at Cornell and all colleges in this area). the vaccination rate is close to 100% for the students and staff. With that and mostly all young adults, I would assume most will just have mild symptoms and be fine. I have yet to hear about any hospitalizations or anything other than just testing positive. They are all tested very frequently so even asymptomatic people are included in the positive counts.

A follow up article about the severity of these college cases would be informative. But I assume they are all fine or else there would be a follow up article if a bunch of them had to be hospitalized or died. That would definitely be all over the local news.

Bingo. If vaccination was a requirement to return back to on-campus school, then the long-term sequala of this should be negligible.

Reactions: madodel
I assume there would be some delay between positive tests and the need for hospitalizations but so far it looks like zero hospitalizations in local under 29 year old population.

View attachment 746220

I am kind of surprised there are that many people over 70 who are still unvaccinated. They all grew up in a time when no one questioned vaccines and where aware of some of the terrible diseases they prevented. The "young" people today have never really been exposed to the scourge that vaccines have ended.

My daughter got her booster the other day. She had had 2 doses of Moderna and was expecting Moderna booster but they had extra doses of Pfizer and a long line of people for Moderna so they offered her that instead. She was just a little "achey" the next day, but no other issues.

I assume there would be some delay between positive tests and the need for hospitalizations but so far it looks like zero hospitalizations in local under 29 year old population.

View attachment 746220

This says who was positive on admission to the hospital, not necessarily admitted due to Covid - so in theory a vaccinated 70 year old could have an asymptomatic breakthrough infection, be admitted for a procedure and find out they were positive. Am I reading this right?

Reactions: JRP3