Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 doses of Astra-zeneca has an efficacy of 5.9 for 25+. Its almost like people have no immunity even after 2 Oxford doses - no wonder Omicron is spreading so fast in UK.

AstraZeneca was mainly given to older people here, so that doesn't explain the rate of spread. Omicron is spreading quickly here because of the capability of the variant to do so, lack of vaccination for youngsters or proper ventilation in schools. Plus our relaxed mask wearing policies. Our government is also putting too much faith in the booster program. I expect the efficacy will drop off pretty dramatically against Omicron after a few months just like it did after 2nd doses. Still keen to see Moderna data, even though that's the least common primary vaccine course given here.

2 doses of Astra-zeneca has an efficacy of 5.9 for 25+. Its almost like people have no immunity even after 2 Oxford doses - no wonder Omicron is spreading so fast in UK.
Keep in mind that is a limited dataset and an older population. Have to read the fine print. Not saying that efficacy is not dramatically reduced with two shots. It is - for all vaccines. But have to read the fine print.
Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.59.36 PM.png

All vaccines need boosting. With boosting, protection against infection by Omicron is still not perfect, and will also wane. However, protection against severe disease is very likely still quite good (and even better with a boosted response). However, for those who cannot afford to fight an infection, they need to be extremely careful.

Reactions: jerry33 and EVNow
This is interesting. Obviously, you expect dips in CFR during times of extremely rapid spread, and they may be testing more. However, it has been a while in South Africa and the excursion is very large to the low side. At least, we can say it is good that it didn't bottom out at 1-2%.

So, if you want to grasp at some hope, this is some. It doesn't mean it can't still be bad - it's likely still more intrinsically dangerous than influenza even if it is intrinsically less virulent, and the sheer number of infections could still be overwhelming, and this drop in CFR has the backdrop of a community that has very few COVID-naive, unvaccinated individuals. (This does not apply to the US, still.)

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and Yuri_G
The NYT has picked up on the apparent rapid spread of Omicron in Seattle:

Researchers testing coronavirus samples in Washington State have recorded a rapid rise in cases with a mutation that is characteristic of the Omicron variant, mirroring trends that have emerged in countries like South Africa, Britain and Denmark.

Meanwhile, Seattle’s newspaper remains utterly clueless:

COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations remain on a slow, steady decline in Washington state….

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200

In Norway, researchers have also observed a rapid rise of Omicron in recent days. “The Omicron variant is becoming established in Norway and will soon dominate,” the Norwegian Institute of Public Health said in a statement on Monday.

In a preliminary scenario, the institute estimated that in about three weeks, there would be up to 90,000 to 300,000 cases per day — a stark increase from the current pace of about 4,700 cases per day, a record for Norway.

Can that possibly be correct? Norway has only 5.4 million people. If scaled up to the US population, that would be like 5,500,000 to 18,000,000 cases per day. The 4,700 cases per day would already be equivalent to 287,000 US cases per day (currently averaging a bit under 150,000).

Source:

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Can that possibly be correct? Norway has only 5.4 million people. If scaled up to the US population, that would be like 5,500,000 to 18,000,000 cases per day. The 4,700 cases per day would already be equivalent to 287,000 US cases per day (currently averaging a bit under 150,000).

I think NYT must have botched the numbers they are quoting for Norway.

Original report here. However, they are not accounting for people taking additional precautions so these numbers likely won’t be achieved. “If the measures do not slow the epidemic significantly” is doing a lot of work here. But the case numbers are still going to be very very high.

Hold onto your hats. Better hope it is no worse than a “strenuous flu.” With prior vaccination and boosting it’ll likely be even more mild than that - but only for those people.

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel and Jeff N
Some preliminary data from SA:

Pfizer shot less effective against hospitalisation in South Africa - study

"Between Nov. 15 and Dec. 7, people who had received two doses of the shot and tested positive for COVID-19 had a 70% chance of avoiding hospitalisation, down from 93% during the previous wave of Delta infections, the study showed.
When it came to avoiding infection altogether, the study by South Africa's largest private health insurance administrator, Discovery Health, showed that protection against catching COVID-19 had slumped to 33% from 80% previously.
Discovery cautioned that the study's findings should be considered preliminary. Michael Head, senior research fellow in global health at the University of Southampton, also said there was a large degree of uncertainty for now about Omicron.
"It is important to avoid inferring too much right now from any national scenario. For example, the narrative around South Africa is that Omicron may be much milder, whereas reports out of Denmark broadly suggests the opposite," he said."

the "Ignore" feature isn't working very well.
Working fine for me. I wouldn't be here without it.
That thread is funny on my end: every single post that I can see is a response to a post that I can't see. every single one.
I think ignore is working just fine.

To be on topic this is a good collection of covid stats https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...bering-stats-coronaviruss-toll-united-states/

A stat I couldn't find is the amount of money saved from decreased Social Security payments (from early deaths) vs higher payments from disability due to long covid issues. . .

Last edited:
South Africa: previous infections may explain Omicron hospitalisation rate

"High levels of previous exposure to three previous waves of coronavirus infection in South Africa may explain the relatively low levels of hospitalisation and severe disease in the current outbreak of the Omicron variant, rather than the variant itself being less virulent.
...Mahdi cited a recently completed seropositivity survey – the percentage of population who have already been infected – in Gauteng province, which has been at the centre of the Omicron outbreak, that suggested some 72% had experienced a previous infection of coronavirus.
That is well over three times the rate of previous infections detected by a similar survey during the Beta variant outbreak a year ago where seropositivity was some 20%.
While Mahdi said that emerging evidence pointed to the fact that Omicron was both more infectious and more able to evade antibody protection, he suggested that other mechanisms at work in acquired immunity through infection could explain the lower levels of hospitalisations and severe illness."

“The evolution of the Omicron variant is coming at a very different stage of the pandemic,” said Madhi.
“That is important to keep at the back of our minds when we see what is unfolding in South Africa and what we might see in other settings, which might have a very different epidemiology."

Omicron is on track to become the dominant variant in London within the next 48 hours.

Every adult in the UK who is 3 months past their 2nd Pfizer dose can now get a booster shot. They are aiming to give boosters to every eligible adult by the end of the year which will require giving more shots per day than they have ever done since vaccines became available.

Meanwhile, in the U.S. you are only eligible after 6 months and aside from issuing press releases there doesn’t seem to be much urgency to scaling up vaccination in a big way over the next few weeks.

Since Omicron is spreading so rapidly compared to Delta even if it is less virulent (unproven) it will likely overload hospitals again due to the suddenness of the increase and scale of possible infections in December and January.

The Omicron surge in the UK could reach 1 million new infections per day by the end of the year.

This is video of the health minister speaking to parliament about the new urgency:

Last edited:
This is interesting. Obviously, you expect dips in CFR during times of extremely rapid spread, and they may be testing more. However, it has been a while in South Africa and the excursion is very large to the low side. At least, we can say it is good that it didn't bottom out at 1-2%.

So, if you want to grasp at some hope, this is some. It doesn't mean it can't still be bad - it's likely still more intrinsically dangerous than influenza even if it is intrinsically less virulent, and the sheer number of infections could still be overwhelming, and this drop in CFR has the backdrop of a community that has very few COVID-naive, unvaccinated individuals. (This does not apply to the US, still.)

First, their >8% CFR peaks are just crazy and make me doubt any of their results. Second, they use a 10 day lag between deaths and cases. This spike was so rapid a 20 day lag would give a 10x higher CFR. Finally, as noted above, South Africa may have unusually high natural immunity due to prior infection. US authorities like to pretend natural immunity doesn't matter, but if we "follow the science" we learn it does.

Ultra-rapid spread of a mild strain that conferred immunity would be pretty close to a best-case scenario at this point. A Christmas miracle, or just wishful thinking?

"Between Nov. 15 and Dec. 7, people who had received two doses of the shot and tested positive for COVID-19 had a 70% chance of avoiding hospitalisation, down from 93% during the previous wave of Delta infections, the study showed.
When it came to avoiding infection altogether, the study by South Africa's largest private health insurance administrator, Discovery Health, showed that protection against catching COVID-19 had slumped to 33% from 80% previously.
Discovery cautioned that the study's findings should be considered preliminary. Michael Head, senior research fellow in global health at the University of Southampton, also said there was a large degree of uncertainty for now about Omicron.
"It is important to avoid inferring too much right now from any national scenario. For example, the narrative around South Africa is that Omicron may be much milder, whereas reports out of Denmark broadly suggests the opposite," he said."
We need an "Oh Jesus" emoticon. Can't any of this ever be clear?

Ultra-rapid spread of a mild strain that conferred immunity would be pretty close to a best-case scenario at this point. A Christmas miracle, or just wishful thinking?

Yeah, I think it's too much to hope for. I think we're going to see tons of cases in the US (probably all time highs - this is a revision of what I stated a few days ago):

I guess I’d assume Omicron cases could exceed all prior peaks but it’s a little hard to say. I kind of suspect it won’t exceed winter 2020, because people are more aware and boosting and vaccination will still help. I certainly don’t expect hospitalizations to rival winter 2020. Very hard to predict though!

Anyway the outcomes by type:

1) The unvaccinated are going to get clobbered. Everyone will finally get COVID, maybe. Herd immunity? Lol.
2) Prior infected, unvaccinated, are going to get clobbered to a lesser extent. Infection-acquired immunity isn't that great against Omicron it seems.
3) Also double vaccinated (naturally immune, but never infected) will have problems, but to a lesser extent than prior infections.
4) Boosted individuals (naturally immune) and boosted + infection-acquired (double natural immunity!) will generally do well.
5) The data seems to suggest the first-infected + boosted individuals (3 doses is great to increase natural immunity) do the very best. They'll have very few problems.

Overall, after seeing how things are transpiring, I expect cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, to be hitting all time highs in January and February. Simply too many people in class 1, 2, and to a lesser extent 3 in this country.

Not happening because Omicron is more virulent - I tend to think it might be slightly less virulent, but it's really hard to tell. But the very rapid spread is going to lead to a massive hit.

The good news is that boosters really see to confer very good protection. The bad news is the spread will be so fast that an Omicron-specific boost may not provide much utility by the time it becomes available.

This spike was so rapid a 20 day lag would give a 10x higher CFR.

Yes. I do tend to think the low-ish CFRs are mostly due to the lag. And maybe some immunity. Still, as I said, at least it didn't bottom out at 1%. But yeah, as I said originally, sky high growth rates will lead to very very low CFRs, and that's the biggest reason for that drop.

Last edited:

A newly released study done with pseudo viruses in the lab shows a severe 122x neutralization drop for 2-shot Pfizer given within the last 3 months against Omicron vs. other cases including when boosted with a 3rd shot. Interestingly, a few people did better with more distant shots but the large majority showed almost no neutralization. With a booster, Pfizer looked about as good as Moderna with a booster.

1F7A64C8-0BB5-4A29-94B3-7296BD5F0654.jpeg

Other vaccines and more details here:

5) The data seems to suggest the first-infected + boosted individuals (3 doses is great to increase natural immunity) do the very best. They'll have very few problems.

I should add that this category will have very few problems because the really vulnerable are already dead.

An interesting tidbit to keep an eye on, we’ll know soon whether it is some sort of statistical aberration. Not great for the 0-4 group without access to what are very likely safe vaccines for them:

I've previously mentioned the rise in cases at CU, now they've started to shut down the campus.

Cornell University canceled a ceremony for December graduates, closed libraries and took other restrictive measures on Tuesday after the school’s coronavirus testing lab found evidence of the Omicron variant in a number of students’ test specimens.

Though the lab is still working on genomic sequencing to confirm that the students have the Omicron variant, the university moved its main campus in Ithaca, N.Y., to its “Alert Level Red” for the first time in the last three semesters. Final exams scheduled for this week have been switched to an online format. Fitness centers and gyms were closed, and athletic events set for Sunday have been canceled. Most visitors were barred from campus, but offices and labs will remain open.

The NYT has picked up on the apparent rapid spread of Omicron in Seattle:

Meanwhile, Seattle’s newspaper remains utterly clueless:

Not a big defender of either paper but both can be true. The overall number may be in decline while OmicRon rapidly makes up a larger amount of new cases. If Omicron really is mild as some are advertising maybe Seattle and world dodge a bullet.

Should be able to relatively easily extrapolate from other countries how we're going to do here. Christmas may give an extra boost. January is gonna be lit. 🔥

The plateau in cases is about to end, and what would probably have been a slow decline is going to resurge in a very special way.

My partner saw a Twitter thread yesterday started with this video

She's participating in a long COVID study so the thread really caught her eye. I think Long COVID is going to be a concern for generations to come. A researcher in the thread said they are seeing signs that Long COVID is an auto-immune condition and the biggest concern is that it might get worse over time. They only have less than 2 years of data, but they are seeing at least some people seem to have bouts that last a few months, it goes away, and then comes back. At least some people are seeing each bout get worse than the last.