Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Though it is not clear another wave would ever have the enormous mortality of the initially very dangerous Omicron…

IMG_5132.jpeg

Reactions: scottf200
Don't blame the raccoon dogs:

Six of those samples had tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. And of the six, a single one — Q61 — also contained the DNA of raccoon dogs, as well as ducks.

It seemed that the raccoon dog claim originated from Q61. But in his own sequencing, Bloom found that out of 200 million “reads,” or discrete viral samples, on the swab, only a single one was positive for the coronavirus. Given that the coronavirus was already spreading throughout Wuhan for several months by then, that particle was far more likely deposited by an unsuspecting human than by a sick animal.

In other words, the Chinese researchers who had been the first to study the swabs, and had concluded that humans carried the virus to the market, appeared to have been correct all along.

C.D.C. to Scale Back Covid Tracking Efforts

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will cease tracking community levels of Covid and the percentage of tests that come back positive, a metric used to calculate transmission rates, the agency announced on Friday.

The decision is linked to the end of the public health emergency on May 11. The emergency designation, first declared in January 2020, had allowed the C.D.C. to demand certain kinds of data on Covid’s spread from state officials.

Reactions: PACEMD
Don't blame the raccoon dogs:

In all that mess, I found Angela Rasmussen to be the most credible (having the overall picture). But I'm not following the details of that discussion anymore, considering how much half-true agenda-driven info there is.

Last edited:
I've been chopping the last 3 weeks off this graph, we are right on the edge of 3 weeks ago going below 200 deaths per day on the 7 day moving average.

Dunno when I'll get my 6th shot but I'm not in the 65+ group or any other high risk group so I was thinking on making a decision in June.

View attachment 930740

Back in the day I chopped off 2 weeks, then 3, now 4 weeks and I'm not sure if it's enough. Here is a 1 month + 1 day ago data point archived for posterity. Let's see if it holds up a week from now unchanged.

At the least it's clear that there was a small spike in the first week of April.

To this point every time I've taken a screenshot with a number right at 200 it changed a few days later, so I'm not ready to call this below 200 yet.

1684029083375.png

Results​

We identified three RCTs of mRNA vaccinEand six RCTs of adenovirus-vector COVID-19 vaccines with mortality data available (Table S1).

mRNA vaccines​

The two major RCTs of mRNA vaccines, produced by Pfizer and Moderna, included 74,193 adults (>16 or >18 years of age) (37,110 vaccinated; 37,083 placebo), among whom there were 61 deaths (31 vaccine recipients, 30 placebo recipients)
These vaccines were not associated with lower overall mortality, the overall RR being 1.03 (0.63–1.71) (Table 1). The third RCT of mRNA vaccine, from CureVac, reported 8 deaths in the vaccine group and 6 in the placebo group, suggesting a similar trend as in the other two mRNA trials. However, the deaths in the CureVac RCT were not reported by cause of death, and since the vaccine has now been withdrawn due to low vaccine efficacy, it has not been included in Table 1.

1684213898526.png

Any takes on this study?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Any takes on this study?
“The RCTs of COVID-19 vaccines were unblinded rapidly, and controls were vaccinated. The results may therefore not be representative of the long-term effects. “

I’m too bored to read and comprehend any other claims (like reduction in risk from adenovirus vaccine) made.

Seems very boring overall.

Definitely seems like the vaccines are extremely effective at reducing mortality, in any case.

Back in the day I chopped off 2 weeks, then 3, now 4 weeks and I'm not sure if it's enough. Here is a 1 month + 1 day ago data point archived for posterity. Let's see if it holds up a week from now unchanged.

At the least it's clear that there was a small spike in the first week of April.

To this point every time I've taken a screenshot with a number right at 200 it changed a few days later, so I'm not ready to call this below 200 yet.

OK, 5 weeks is not enough, it just changed today after 36 days, so maybe 6 weeks back is needed?

1684465349506.png

Last edited:
Earliest article about this I could find, but behind paywall:
China’s New Covid Wave Set to See 65 Million Cases a Week

China is bracing for a massive new wave of COVID cases. What this means for the rest of the world

XBB variant at work
Estimated 40 million/week by end of May
Estimated 65 million/week by end of June

Low immunity because of formerly zero-covid policy and under-vaccination with less effective vaccines

China already has a population drop problem, this will simply exacerbate this.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
My girlfriend tested positive for covid. 4doses of vaccine and one dose of omicron. Had her worst headache ever for 1.5weeks, now feeling better. Her entire family also tested positive and had fever and headaches. Me with 3 doses and 1 dose of omicron didn't get it even though we spent a lot of time together.

Only mild coughing and runny noses, fever not too bad. Headache very bad...

Wow, 10% infection in a population that should be well informed and have a good percentage of people taking precautions. This was at least encouraging: "No severe illnesses were reported."
I think that's the key. No severe illnesses. We're at a point that vaccination is very protective (especially in working age populations) against severe disease. Also, the infectivity of the current variants seems to be higher than the originals. Caution levels are way down overall, and there's only so much you can do (try eating dinner with a mask on).

The good news is just that. We are in a different world from the one we were in a couple of years ago.

Wow, 10% infection in a population that should be well informed and have a good percentage of people taking precautions. This was at least encouraging: "No severe illnesses were reported."

It's endemic. Except for the immunocompromised and those with serious medical conditions, I don't expect many severe cases moving forward.