Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is social signaling. Just as the like, the funny, the disagree, the whatever emoji choices made in response to the post and now to this post are social signaling.

That some have decided to denote the tweets as ‘negative’ speaks to ‘you’, not the tweeters.

Take out any emotional response or opinion about the tweets and just read the words, and suddenly you’re not triggered and you can see it’s a valid question to ask as an attempt to understand why people do what they do, why they’ve changed and so on. That’s how we learn about each other without judgement.

Why do you continue to wear a mask after the pandemic is over when you never wore a mask before?

The answers are likely numerous and wide varying. Some you may agree with, some not.

Let me start us off. I quickly realized during the pandemic that I’m genetically designed, mentally, emotionally, and physically, to survive and be content in such situations. My life didn’t hardly change at all during the pandemic and I didn’t have to wear a mask very much during it.

I rarely wear a mask now because my lifestyle continues to not include a lot of in-person socializing. Additionally, the vast majority of my time is spent outdoors.

When needing to be near people I make choices; like when I shop, I go at off-peak shopping hours and I’ll skip an aisle when there’s more than one other person in it coming back later. I did that before the pandemic. I still social distance and I did that before the pandemic. I use the self-checkouts - not that there’s much other choice nowadays in most places.

I will still occasionally wear a mask in those few situations I find myself where a lot of people will be I can’t get away from - like an airport/in a plane. I’m the person at the airport off in the corner as far away from people as possible. I’m the window seat person with my hoodie up, ear buds in, and turned away from everyone trying to sleep. I don’t even acknowledge the flight attendants during snack times. I did that before the pandemic too.

If I’m wearing a mask now, it’s because I simply don’t trust that the people not wearing masks aren’t sick, I don’t want what they have, and I can’t get away from them. It’s always seemed to me throughout my adulthood that if you’re sick, stay home and away from people. If you can’t, wearing a mask is at minimum logical.

I still see people wearing masks. Not a lot as the population is low around the mountain. It seems to me it’s typically elderly people, but not always. Sometimes it’s someone with a cough and I respect and appreciate them so much for keeping it to themselves.

Someone wearing a mask today is someone social signaling to me that they are keeping their germs to themselves and/or don’t want to be exposed to others’ germs for any number of reasons. I respect that.

Someone not wearing a mask today is someone social signaling to me that they aren’t or don’t think they are sick and/or they’re fine with whatever germs they have co-mingling with others, and they are fine with possibly becoming sick from someone else’s germs. I respect that.

Everyone makes their own choices for their own reasons. Stop jumping to negative conclusions and negativity in general. You aren’t walking in their shoes, so you don’t know.

Precisely. The person with the mask may be particularly susceptible. That's not social signalling. It's doing what they may need to do to survive.

It's disingenuous at best, stupid at worst, to paint everyone with the same brush.
Yep. And pointing out "the pandemic is over" is disengenous. The world changed. The pandemic is only over because COVID is now endemic. They wear a mask now because the risks of not doing so are greater than prior to 2020. If someone is high risk, then they should be able to wear a mask without being judged to be leftist snowflakes. Personally I only wear one at work these days, but I don't fault anyone who feels the need to wear one

One of our docs attended a 100th birthday celebration for one of his patients recently, unmasked because that's now the norm. He got COVID, and although he is fine, his patients, over a hundred, had to be rescheduled out, many several months. Does he wish he'd worn a mask? You can bet he does.

"Social signalling" my butt.

Someone should whack Elmo upside the head.

Last edited:
Holding ... 🤞

ahZNals.jpg
This will be our summer wave, probably. Oh well…was hoping it might be a bit longer before something came along with any significant advantage.

IMG_0338.jpeg

Apparently not every physician is required to pass Public Health and Epidemiology courses.

Florida surgeon general defies science amid measles outbreak

Instead of following what he acknowledged was the “normal” recommendation that parents keep unvaccinated children home for up to 21 days — the incubation period for measles — Ladapo said the state health department “is deferring to parents or guardians to make decisions about school attendance.”

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Cognitive deficit following Covid, both short duration and persistent disease. NIH study.

In this observational study, we found objectively measurable cognitive deficits that may persist for a year or more after Covid-19. We also found that participants with resolved persistent symptoms had small deficits in cognitive scores, as compared with the no–Covid-19 group, that were similar to those in participants with shorter-duration illness. Early periods of the pandemic, longer illness duration, and hospitalization had the strongest associations with global cognitive deficits. The implications of longer-term persistence of cognitive deficits and their clinical relevance remain unclear and warrant ongoing surveillance.

This is a free article from the New England Journal of Medicine. It is an observational study, with all of the attendant problems, and has a good section discussing that.

TDLR: cognitive deficits persisted in study subjects after both short duration and long duration Covid compared to controls who never had Covid.

The CDC sent a V-Safe text message saying some people are eligible for a Covid booster (apparently the one year between has changed). I went to get one but couldn't because the pharmacy said the Medicare payment system is down and has been for three weeks. Any confirmation on this?

The CDC sent a V-Safe text message saying some people are eligible for a Covid booster (apparently the one year between has changed). I went to get one but couldn't because the pharmacy said the Medicare payment system is down and has been for three weeks. Any confirmation on this?

Yes, healthcare industry has been a mess for about a month now.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel