Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of FSD to start increasing after May 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate the optimism of Elon and support his efforts on a sustainable earth.
But.... I'm not paying 5k, let along 8k for something that's not proven, facing regulatory obstacle and fierce competition from Uber/Lyft.
Anyone with long commute that uses more than 1/4 of battery capacity daily will likely be out on this potential *appreciating* asset. Up here at Northeast, when temperature drops in winter and we get 1/2 of original range, using cars for self driving ride hauling simply won't work.

If anything, Elon should *LOWER* the price of FSD and sign more people up.
I'm going to stay on the sideline for this one.

Elon probably didn't consult with his CFO before this announcement. In order to get more people to participate in the future of self driving ride sharing, you need to offer incentive for people to join, not jacked up price for them to join. If anything, FSD should be lowered in price so people will buy it and think ," I already have it, might as well make some buck." Instead of ,"It's going to cost me 8k more just to get started?

Elon probably didn't consult with his CFO before this announcement. In order to get more people to participate in the future of self driving ride sharing, you need to offer incentive for people to join, not jacked up price for them to join. If anything, FSD should be lowered in price so people will buy it and think ," I already have it, might as well make some buck." Instead of ,"It's going to cost me 8k more just to get started?
It’s a demand lever...

...do they honor the price quoted...

In general, prices, terms & conditions are unchangeable only when you seal in the deal by paying fully for them.

If you didn't pay fully for them, Tesla can change them at any time without notice.

Of course, Tesla has the right to keep you grandfathered as a courtesy if it wants to but it has no obligation to do so.

It’s business. Tesla has to make money. He’s making it work as he goes along.

Again, I’ll take all these ups and downs over ANY other traditional auto dealer out there.
I love what Tesla is doing and has done.
I can’t stand other auto dealers out there.

As always, the rule for everything when it comes to decision making is:

DOES THE HOT OUTWEIGH THE CRAZY

• Funny
Reactions: Chancellor32
In general, prices, terms & conditions are unchangeable only when you seal in the deal by paying fully for them.

If you didn't pay fully for them, Tesla can change them at any time without notice.

Of course, Tesla has the right to keep you grandfathered as a courtesy if it wants to but it has no obligation to do so.

Why did they put the disclaimer on the site that prices might increase after delivery while they didn't put had that disclaimer two years ago?

I think it is a kind of a grey area. They specifically put in a price after delivery. By not taking it at delivery you could say there was an agreement for the price after delivery.

...I think it is a kind of a grey area...

Tesla gave a quote of $329 for LTE upgrade. When the owner took the offer a week later, it's $500. The owner didn't pay $329 so the price changed to $500 without any notice. If the owner paid $329 at that first quoted time, that price would be sealed in and unchangeable.

Tesla put in writing in an owner's account:

"You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla vehicle and any new Model S or Model X purchase."

account-screenshot-png.358017

The owner then took the offer but then discovered that the written terms were changed without any notice (and the deposit was then refunded).

There have been many other examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44
I loaned you $1000 for 2 years to get a $35k robot car. I ended up with a > $50k beta smart car, with a little resentment, as it's more than I'd considered paying for a car. But OK, I like it, nice car, the EAP was working fair, getting better now. Lots of Model 3s sold.

So, aren't things going great, Elon? What more could you want?

I know FSD will not be driving my kids to school soon. But your playing with definitions, and what surcharges Tesla will want, when, on what bits of partial autonomy, or CPU upgrades, generates added uncertainty and anxiety.

I don't have or want a Twitter account to track yet another circus. Most Model 3 users are still early adopters, but it's where the numbers are. It's our warm fuzzy, and enthusiasm, that have driven Tesla's growth. Don't break it. Please.

Reactions: R.S

For clarity, Tesla can change the terms, but if you don't agree you can cancel and have your deposit returned. Obviously, the longer you wait after ordering, the more likely it is that they won't be able to match the original terms.

Isn't it Ironic that we are a part of another fire sale right now as we speak!!

"Get your FSD today because May 1'st the price is going up."

"Get it now - now - now"

I wonder how many people are breaking open their piggy banks to "get it now" hurry hurry hurry.

Anyone want to guess what the price of FSD is going to be on August 1'st?

Any takers for "Lower than it is today"? <---- lets keep the trend from EAP or AP going.

Reactions: R.S and duanra
These price changes are ridiculous and just punish existing customers who couldn’t afford FSD at delivery. Clearly they’re only focused on incentivizing new customers to buy FSD.

I have two Tesla’s which I would like to have FSD for, but looks like that’s never going to happen. I’m very disappointed in Tesla this year.

And isn’t it ridiculous how FSD is being sold for so much money, and now prices being increased, when not even one feature has been released yet?

Reactions: GeoX750 and Dutchie
I drove again with NoA today. As soon as it starts raining a bit the NoA is canceled.. I have a hard time believing that they could have FSD soon which works in all types of weather conditions. And yes, conditions do change when driving.

FWIW this is one place HW3 can make a large difference.

Right now the computer in HW2.5 can't process all the cameras at full frame/resolution at the same time... so they have to either skip some cameras, skip some frames, or take lower resolution images, or some combination.

Which means the car has limited awareness around it compared to the sensor capabilities.

Which means when the weather reduces visibility they have even less awareness.

Just to throw random #s out for an example, let's say they're just ignoring every other frame... but now due to weather half the frames they DO look at are blurred/unusable....(and now the NN has to work harder to figure out what's going on too) that might reduce useful data below the threshold the computer can "trust" what it's seeing for NoA decisions.

Now throw HW3 in there.

It can handle all sensors, at full speed and resolution, and still not be using even a quarter of its capacity that's available to run a larger, more capable, NN.

Suddenly some rain no longer impairs it in the same way at all.

These price changes are ridiculous and just punish existing customers who couldn’t afford FSD at delivery. Clearly they’re only focused on incentivizing new customers to buy FSD.

I have two Tesla’s which I would like to have FSD for, but looks like that’s never going to happen. I’m very disappointed in Tesla this year.

And isn’t it ridiculous how FSD is being sold for so much money, and now prices being increased, when not even one feature has been released yet?

I agree. I was talking to the sales manager in West-Vancouver yesterday. He downplayed FSD when you have EAP. For the coming years all of the FSD features will also be applicable for EAP.
I was totally confused. Why do they charge $6,600 for FSD when there is no advantage? Manager said they still have to clean the website. If you have EAP don't get FSD, that is what he said...

Anyway, I think Tesla and Elon are loosing credibility fast
  • The strange pricing structure. Still quoting prices after savings. That is just dope;
  • Constantly changing prices. I think it an average price change of once a month now;
  • The deminishing option choices. Where are the days that Elon said that you could get any colour you want. Remember that?
  • Pushing everyone to buy FSD, while you don't know what or when you getting - especially if you have EAP. Even scaring people that FSD prices will go up to ridiculous heights. What is this? Are you so short of cash? Are shorts right all along?
  • The podcast with Elon. The stories getting more unbelievable all the time. "Appreciating assets (????) "Game, set and match" - while autopilot still cancels when it starts raining a bit.. I used to have faith in him but now I am starting to doubt him. Tesla already misled us with that video of FSD they put up a while back. We will see what the demonstration entails nex week. It better be very very good like a full FSD demonstration where the car will drive itself safely after someone asked to navigate to a random place. Or a advanced summons from the other side of town..
  • Not honouring FSD pricing for when you bought the car. FSD was an add-on to EAP. It was discussed that the price for add-on was a few hundred dollars lower if you took the option right away.. I never opted-out for FSD so basically I agreed to get FSD for that price after delivery. Back then there was no disclaimer that the price could change. That I wait to finally take it is quite understandable because no FSD features have been delivered;
  • And now conflicting stories about difference EAP and FSD from manager in the store and from what Elon says.
I am a very long time supporter of Tesla. I love the car and drive it with a big smile every day. However, they need to grow-up and get their act together fast!

Reactions: boiler81
FWIW this is one place HW3 can make a large difference.

Right now the computer in HW2.5 can't process all the cameras at full frame/resolution at the same time... so they have to either skip some cameras, skip some frames, or take lower resolution images, or some combination.

Which means the car has limited awareness around it compared to the sensor capabilities.

Which means when the weather reduces visibility they have even less awareness.

Just to throw random #s out for an example, let's say they're just ignoring every other frame... but now due to weather half the frames they DO look at are blurred/unusable....(and now the NN has to work harder to figure out what's going on too) that might reduce useful data below the threshold the computer can "trust" what it's seeing for NoA decisions.

Now throw HW3 in there.

It can handle all sensors, at full speed and resolution, and still not be using even a quarter of its capacity that's available to run a larger, more capable, NN.

Suddenly some rain no longer impairs it in the same way at all.

OK Sounds plausible. Hope you are right!

I agree. I was talking to the sales manager in West-Vancouver yesterday. He downplayed FSD when you have EAP. For the coming years all of the FSD features will also be applicable for EAP.

No they won't.

Advanced summon is the last EAP feature. It's complete after that.

City driving and stoplight/stop sign actions are exclusively FSD features.

Most folks working at Tesla retail locations are... poorly informed.