Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to recharge at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I am just wondering what the cost of recharging a model 3 SR+ using home outlet (220v 40amp circuit, NEMA 14-50)?

My daily run (office, home for lunch, office. gym, home) is 15 miles. Typical speeds are around 30 mph. Of course, a/c would be on the whole drive. Sentinel mode would be on at the gym for an hour, but no where else.

Our electricity cost is $0.09 per KWH.

I'm not sure how to run the calculation. I just know I am going get asked the question - I am the first Tesla buyer in my family, relatives and friends. Just trying to be prepared... :)

30 mi round-trip daily. Even with low speeds, the AC might burn 105% of the battery as you cross those 30 miles. Assume charging losses of around 20%

30 (assuming you describe one-way trips)
x 1.05
x 1.20
x $0.09
=====
30*365*1.05*1.20*.09 = $1240 or $620 for 15 mi daily driving

I'm in Houston, and use the variable priced 'griddy.com', so for me, I'm running nightly charging costs of around $0.051 / kWh. I think its available in the Dallas area. You won't want to use it if you can not adjust your AC around August price 'spikes'. I'm a bit of an outlier, since I'm using computer-controlled charging to access the lowest nightly electric prices.

30 mi round-trip daily. Even with low speeds, the AC might burn 105% of the battery as you cross those 30 miles. Assume charging losses of around 20%

x 1.05
x 1.20
x $0.09
=====

That's wayy too high, are you mixing miles with kilowatts?

x 1.05
x 1.20
x $0.09
=====

I'm in Houston, and use the variable priced 'griddy.com', so for me, I'm running nightly charging costs of around $0.051 / kWh. I think its available in the Dallas area. You won't want to use it if you can not adjust your AC around August price 'spikes'. I'm a bit of an outlier, since I'm using computer-controlled charging to access the lowest nightly electric prices.

Thanks for the calculation.

It would be 15 miles per day, 5 days a week. So for the daily commute:

15 miles x 1.05 x 1.20 x $0.09 = $1.70 per day.

Weekends, I do 30 miles (round trip) typically. So that run would be $3.40.

So for a typically month (20 working days and 4 weekends), it would add up to $47.62. Interesting....

Everything is measured in watt-hours per mile, how many watts do you use per mile.

The model 3 is rated around 234 watt hours per mile driven.

15 mile * 234wh/mi = 3510 watts or 3.51kw/h

Assuming 10% charging efficiency loss:

3.51 * 1.1 = 3.861kw * $.09 per kw/h = 35 cents per day

Now sentry mode, AC usage all add on top of those watt hours, as do speed, wheel selection, etc will increase those numbers

Thanks for the calculation.

It would be 15 miles per day, 5 days a week. So for the daily commute:

15 miles x 1.05 x 1.20 x $0.09 = $1.70 per day.

Weekends, I do 30 miles (round trip) typically. So that run would be $3.40.

So for a typically month (20 working days and 4 weekends), it would add up to $47.62. Interesting....
@Missile Toad ’s calculations are way off.

you’re talking about 135 miles a week at ~250wh/mi, so your weekly energy consumption is 33.75kwh. Round this up to 50kwh for a conservative estimate, charging losses, sentry mode, etc.

50kwh x 9 cents/kWh = $4.50/week. Call it $20/mo max.

x 1.05
x 1.20
x $0.09
=====

This math makes no sense to me. You seem to be computing miles driven, and then equating that to kWh???

You need to compute (miles driven per day) * (kWh/mile) * (cost per kWh) to get commute cost per day. Yes, you can throw in a factor for charging loss etc, but you still need to convert miles driven to energy used for those miles (kWh is a measure of energy).

Last edited:
Everything is measured in watt-hours per mile, how many watts do you use per mile.

The model 3 is rated around 234 watt hours per mile driven.

15 mile * 234wh/mi = 3510 watts or 3.51kw/h

Assuming 10% charging efficiency loss:

3.51 * 1.1 = 3.861kw * $.09 per kw/h = 35 cents per day

Now sentry mode, AC usage all add on top of those watt hours, as do speed, wheel selection, etc will increase those numbers

Wow, this is insanely cheap.

@Missile Toad ’s calculations are way off.

you’re talking about 135 miles a week at ~250wh/mi, so your weekly energy consumption is 33.75kwh. Round this up to 50kwh for a conservative estimate, charging losses, sentry mode, etc.

50kwh x 9 cents/kWh = $4.50/week. Call it $20/mo max.

Even $20 a month is crazy cheap.

Thank you both for these responses.

Something to also keep in mind - power company fees.

In Georgia, my official Georgia Power “Tier 3” rate is $0.09 per kWh...but after fees etc etc, that is really $0.12 per kWh.

To say the least - pre-COVID, my 2000mile per month commute cost me around $50-60 per month (car consumption dependent - 235-250 Wh/mile).

In comparison, my Prius cost me $100-120 per month in fuel and my dually would cost me over $300/mo in diesel.

In Georgia, my official Georgia Power “Tier 3” rate is $0.09 per kWh...but after fees etc etc, that is really $0.12 per kWh.

To say the least - pre-COVID, my 2000mile per month commute cost me around $50-60 per month (car consumption dependent - 235-250 Wh/mile).

In comparison, my Prius cost me $100-120 per month in fuel and my dually would cost me over $300/mo in diesel.
I'm glad I don't have Georgia Power. Instead, I have CobbEMC's NiteFlex plan: 400 kWh free each month, and $0.045 per kWh after that during the off-peak 12 AM thru 6 AM hours. I'm paying nothing for charging my car!

Edit: Also, to save more money, I time my laundry and dishes to be done after midnight. Since I have a family of 4, I consume more energy doing chores than driving my car.

Last edited:
/e side eyes those of you with energy charges of 6 cents a kWh to 15 cents a kWh.

Our costs in CA are at least triple that (at least). The EV specific plans for most utilities in CA are Time of Use plans with off peak around 15 cents or so from midnight to 6am, and peak usage from 4pm to 9pm (when most people are typically using power, after getting home from work, cooking dinner, etc) of 40, 45 or even 50+ cents a kWh.

But... Gas out here is also very expensive. Premium unleaded is somewhere between 3.30 and 3.60 where I am, for example... and I am guessing for those in places with electricity of 9 cents a kWh, that same gas is likely 1.80 to 2.00 or so.

Its still cheaper for us to use EVs out here even with those costs, because the cost of gas is also so much higher.

The way I have showed people how to ballpark this is with a very general number of miles per kWh. With my old not as efficient Model S, it was about 3 miles per kWh. For the Model 3, it's more like 4.

So let's say you do 16,000 miles per year in a Model 3. Divide by 4, and that's 4,000 kWh. At 9 cents per, that is $360...for the entire year! That opens people's eyes to think about that for an entire year of fuel.

That's what it is in our state--about 8 to 9 cents. But for higher states that are more like 12 cents, that's still only $480.

I'm glad I don't have Georgia Power. Instead, I have CobbEMC's NiteFlex plan: 400 kWh free each month, and $0.045 per kWh after that during the off-peak 12 AM thru 6 AM hours. I'm paying nothing for charging my car!

Edit: Also, to save more money, I time my laundry and dishes to be done after midnight. Since I have a family of 4, I consume more energy doing chores than driving my car.

Nice! Glad it is working out for you.

Honestly has nothing to do with GA Power...and I'm not sure why people despise GA Power so much...often times for no good reason (no, I do not work for GA Power or Southern Company). GA Power has a similar time-of-use EV specific plan that takes into account peak versus off-peak power usage, and the rate is actually cheaper than the rates you shared (last time I checked it was $0.07 per kWh during off peak, and $0.01 for super off peak which is from 11pm to 7am). What does Cobb EMC charge you for peak hours? GA Power's EV plan charges $0.20 per kWh during peak hours.

If your home uses a good amount of its power during the day/peak hours for whatever your reason may be (stay at home, appliances, prefer very cool house, etc), it's possible the standard plan (like I have) actually results in a cheaper power bill.

Good point!

I took the total monthly electric bill and divided it by the KWH used. So it would include all the meter fees, sales tax, transmission fees, etc.

Took a look at my monthly fuel cost for a gasoline car (driving this exact same route). Came out to be $34 a month. We have $2.89/gallon gas here (mid range, not the cheapest).

The electric car will save some money, but not as much as I thought. Not that that matters at all.... I like the way the M3 drives.