Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Tire Replacement Policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Costco tire center just told me they only replace all 4 tires on Teslas. I only wanted one tire replaced. Are they trying to rip me off or is there a genuine reason for Costco not replacing less than 4 tires?

I have been told the same thing at Costco in relation to another all wheel drive vehicle, so it may not be related to Teslas specifically.

I recently had one tire on our Tesla get damaged by a road hazard and it was not repairable. So, I went to America's Tire and they were willing to install one replacement tire since the other tires were still in good condition. Our local America's Tire is very familiar with working on Teslas, so I've had good service there.

Upvote 0
Yup, skip Costco for tires. Equal deals elsewhere and much better service. I’m an America’s/Discount Tire convert.

No reason to do all four although I’d generally replace at least an axle pair unless they’re very new and have less than a couple 32nds difference in remaining tread depth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They do not, but I’m not sure what that has to do with this thread.
The first issue is that you need to make another apointment:
- and wait again for your car to be ready,
- or leave your car,
- find another transportation,
- and come back later.

Eventually you could make a better deal by having all the work done in one place.

Also, one day, if one wheel get damaged and you need to replace one tire,
or even maybe one wheel, it seems that Costco will not doing it.

So does Costco provide any warranty for their tire?
- I doubt that if they have a warranty, they will decide to replace all 4 tires if only one get damaged?

@ucmndd I hope I answered your your comment?

The OP said "I only wanted one tire replaced" without indicating why,
but if the OP hit a curbe I assume that it would be a good idea to check the alignment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FWIW, I bought tires at Costco for my Volt a few years ago. A few thousand miles (less than 5k) after I got the tires, I had 1 of them punctured by a nail. I went back to Costco (had runflat tires, so was able to drive it in) and used their road hazard warranty to get a replacement tire for a fraction of the price...they measured and said I had used 1/4th of the tread, so I paid 25% of the new tire cost for a replacement.

Upvote 0
A Costco tire center just told me they only replace all 4 tires on Teslas. I only wanted one tire replaced. Are they trying to rip me off or is there a genuine reason for Costco not replacing less than 4 tires?
Costco will prorate one new tire IF all 4 were previously purchased at Costco
Costco does not blend tire brands... IMO mainly due to liability
IMO good tire prices and services from Costco. Your personal experience may be different

Upvote 0
I go with a local independent tire place that Ive made friends with. They will even plug/patch a tire that Discount Tire would not due for "insurance reasons". (Trust me when I say, the puncture wasnt even CLOSE to the sidewall). saved me several hundred from getting a new tire.

Large places often have strict rules/policies that cant be deviated from. Smaller independent shops can be more flexible with you

Upvote 0
Neither does Americas Tires
Or most tire places.

Replacing all 4 on AWD cars is recommended. Some places hold recommendations as rules, they just pick different recommendations that they get uptight about.

I stopped at discount tire for a quick air fill when temps dropped. They told me I need all new tires due to tread wear @ 8/32.

• Funny
Reactions: whisperingshad
Upvote 0
Or most tire places.

Replacing all 4 on AWD cars is recommended. Some places hold recommendations as rules, they just pick different recommendations that they get uptight about.

I stopped at discount tire for a quick air fill when temps dropped. They told me I need all new tires due to tread wear @ 8/32.
my previous AWD cars had to get new single tires (single tires vs. all 4) at around 15k miles, no different in performance in anyway.

Upvote 0