Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Tesla be power limiting P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't actually own our cars if at will they can dispatch a patch and make your cars slower based on what they deem a danger to their warantee liability.

They never declared that you could have full power 24/7 regardless of heat. Throttling you to prevent a warranty issue is no different than throttling everyone, or uncorking everyone. As long as the instant horsepower and 0-60 times are as advertised, I don't think you'd have a legal argument.

They never declared that you could have full power 24/7 regardless of heat. Throttling you to prevent a warranty issue is no different than throttling everyone, or uncorking everyone. As long as the instant horsepower and 0-60 times are as advertised, I don't think you'd have a legal argument.
I never said the car should not do some throttling when its components overheat but I am simply comparing its behavior now to how it was weeks ago and it is completely different and this is how:

1. Before I got dots only after ~40 min. of hard driving. Now after 2 min.

2. Before when I did get the dots all I had to do was lay off the accelerator for a little, while continuing to drive, and after 5-15 seconds all the dots would be cleared away by the loud fans. Now they don't clear away unless I completely stop and they take 2 minutes to clear.

3. Before I would hear a super loud fan toil away at removing the heat when the dots came. Now complete silence, no fan. Although I still hear the fan during supercharging so I know its not broken.

These are not trivial changes. I think how it was before was the proper throttling that I can live with and still not full power 24/7.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Polly Wog
Can you turn on your A/C and see if that helps?
Tried with heat, with AC, and with both off. No difference.
Having a canbus reader would be helpful in determining why power was pulled, though the safest bet is due to battery or motors overheating.
Well, yea am am positive is due to an overheating situation just can't explain why this was not a problem before the last update and now it is.

I never said the car should not do some throttling when its components overheat but I am simply comparing its behavior now to how it was weeks ago and it is completely different and this is how:

My comment was in response to your comment about how we don't own our cars if they can change it. Time to get a canbus reader to do some data logging if possible.

Which update do you think made this change? I agree, not trivial. It could be the fan only turns on when the coolant temp asks for it, one more reason why it might be your car specifically. If its the DU that has an overheating component, the coolant loop might not really be helping that particular hot spot.

I have been meaning to do my own testing on 9, and intentionally push the DU/battery into the power limiting area, and time myself and also take a picture of the energy graph. Sounds like a weekend trip to reggae pot is in order. Might try to do a back to back test with and without track mode.
That's actually how I tested my car on Highway 9 from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz at 2AM so no slow poke gets in the way of my tests. Before I use to get to Santa Cruz and only at the end I would get some dots that would go away almost instantly after slowing down. Now I get them after 2-5 minutes.
I hate the stealth updates they do, its much harder to evaluate if there is an issue with your car when the parameters change during an update and they don't declare it.
I agree.
All of your scenarios are possible at this point. It sure would be nice if we had some kind of diagnostic mode, so we could see the heat of the given components in degrees.
Does something like this exist?
The power throttling system is likely pretty complex, it probably senses the heat at the inverter, DU, coolant temp pre/post exchanger, battery temp maybe more. None of us knows which is the limiting hardware, or if perhaps the software has been tweaked to lower the thermal limits to me more in line with the Other S/X models.
That would suck if they did that.
It is also possible that similar to the supercharging charge speed throttling for individual cars, that there may be a power output throttling for some cars. Could be they are preventing a warranty issue, by throttling you now, rather than let you torture your car till it breaks under warranty lol.
I had the same thought since I had heard that for some owners, that charge frequently at SC, they throttle their charging speed down. So there is some proof that they target owners individually.
It could also be that one of your components is still working but has an issue where its generating excess heat due to a high resistance connection, or failing but not failed component. If a service tech was looking at this issue remotely, its probably looking to them like you "Drive too hard" .

They may look at individual sensors and see if the temp setpoints are properly throttling you, but they have little to go on when comparing you to another user. Even among P3D drivers you drive hard. Harder than anyone I have heard of short of a full race track.

Imagine that for instance your DU is failing, and the failure mode is some component is producing 5-10x the heat it should be. During normal driving the cooling system keeps up just fine, but the issue becomes obvious during race conditions. How is the tech to know the difference between your car when the DU temp setpoint is hit in 2 minutes, causing throttling, vs the average person who hits that high temp setpoint in 10-20 minutes? If they compare power graphs, yours likely looks higher than most. Conclusion, he's driving hard and is limiting power sooner than the average driver.
I agree the SC is clueless. I just don't know how to approach them so they can do something about it.
This sounds like a very difficult problem to diagnose, too many moving parts. Best I can do to help is drive fast myself and see what happens. Unfortunately I didn't take any consumption data from before the track mode update, so there's no benchmark within my car, but we could compare the consumption between our 2 cars. If I manage a similar consumption, and also don't get throttling within a similar time frame, then we can at least assume its an issue specific to your car, even if we cant understand if its hardware or software.
That would be a good test. It would be good if we could meet and actually drive together and record it as proof because they keep saying that the conditions are not the same so I should not expect the car to behave the same as in the past. Sure not the same but the differences are too drastic to ignore.

Time to get a canbus reader to do some data logging if possible.
I wish I knew how to do that.
Which update do you think made this change?
I think its either the last one I have now v2018.42.3 or the one before v2018.42.x. I only noticed it since the last one but I haven't driven hard between these two versions so it could have been the previous one. For sure its after v9.

Other possibility is that the restrictive change was always in the code but only got triggered under certain conditions.
I agree, not trivial. It could be the fan only turns on when the coolant temp asks for it, one more reason why it might be your car specifically. If its the DU that has an overheating component, the coolant loop might not really be helping that particular hot spot.
So the DU is not cooled by the coolant loop?

I would think if the computer had enough knowledge to limit power based on the DU alone, outside of coolant loop, then they could sense a DU overheat and raise a fault? SC said there was no fault.

I wish I knew how to do that.

I think its either the last one I have now v2018.42.3 or the one before v2018.42.x. I only noticed it since the last one but I haven't driven hard between these two versions so it could have been the previous one. For sure its after v9.

Other possibility is that the restrictive change was always in the code but only got triggered under certain conditions.

So the DU is not cooled by the coolant loop?

I would think if the computer had enough knowledge to limit power based on the DU alone, outside of coolant loop, then they could sense a DU overheat and raise a fault? SC said there was no fault.

I am pretty sure the DU would have a coolant loop, I am just guessing really. I could see a scenario where the cooling was doing its job in the places where heat normally occurs, but the failing component of the DU perhaps isn't near enough to the coolant to shed heat quickly. If the coolant was absorbing the heat appropriately then the fan would go on. Since its not, I am trying to guess why not. I have no data that the DU is failing at all, just a thought experiment to solve your issues. I'm still assuming a failed component is most likely based on your driving style. I'd not expect the software to be throttling you so severely, so likely a coincidence.

Do a google search about CANbus, its pretty common among many cars. I bet a speed tuning shop could plug into it, and get some basic parameters. I am sure that the Tesla diagnostic mode could read the temperature values but I have only seen one youtube video where a non tesla engineer has shown the guts of one.

I agree this is a very tough problem to solve and the SC is probably not equipped to diagnose it yet. The best thing is to find a friend or someone who will let you drive their P3D the same way and see if the behavior is the same.

That might be difficult to arrange but this will at least tell you if it's your specific car.

Reactions: P85_DA and Perry
I am pretty sure the DU would have a coolant loop, I am just guessing really. I could see a scenario where the cooling was doing its job in the places where heat normally occurs, but the failing component of the DU perhaps isn't near enough to the coolant to shed heat quickly. If the coolant was absorbing the heat appropriately then the fan would go on. Since its not, I am trying to guess why not. I have no data that the DU is failing at all, just a thought experiment to solve your issues. I'm still assuming a failed component is most likely based on your driving style. I'd not expect the software to be throttling you so severely, so likely a coincidence.

Do a google search about CANbus, its pretty common among many cars. I bet a speed tuning shop could plug into it, and get some basic parameters. I am sure that the Tesla diagnostic mode could read the temperature values but I have only seen one youtube video where a non tesla engineer has shown the guts of one.

Don't guess, it just adds to the confusion. Model 3 does not have an OBDII port and also doesn't have any easily accessed place to tie into the CAN bus. The drive unit (motor and inverter) are cooled with oil which is sealed in the unit and the oil itself is cooled via a plate chiller that runs coolant through it.

The part that overheats is typically (90% of the time) the inverter/drive for the motor and since it's electronic it's reliability and lifespan is significantly affected by increased temperatures.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Don't guess, it just adds to the confusion. Model 3 does not have an OBDII port and also doesn't have any easily accessed place to tie into the CAN bus. The drive unit (motor and inverter) are cooled with oil which is sealed in the unit and the oil itself is cooled via a plate chiller that runs coolant through it.

The part that overheats is typically (90% of the time) the inverter/drive for the motor and since it's electronic it's reliability and lifespan is significantly affected by increased temperatures.

Wow, no OBD port at all? I thought those were required, but maybe only for vehicles that make emissions. Thanks for the clarification on the cooling of the DU. If the whole thing is bathed in oil then the internal temperature should be pretty consistent.

A quick google search did return some inductive clamp on type CANbus readers, but this is probably not a productive avenue to pursue unless you like to hack yourself. It would be an interesting experiment to tap into all the temperature sensors and see just what is heating up and how fast.

Like was mentioned above comparing cars at least at a high level should give a yes or no answer as to whether its only your car overheating when driven like this or any car that is driven like this.

I'm not really interested in going on a 2 car drive together honestly, nor letting anyone else drive my car. I will do a couple runs over the weekend though and bring back whatever data I can. Maybe others do the same and see just what sort of abuse it takes (total wh/mi used) to trigger heat soak and power reduction and how long that takes.

Wow, no OBD port at all? I thought those were required, but maybe only for vehicles that make emissions. Thanks for the clarification on the cooling of the DU. If the whole thing is bathed in oil then the internal temperature should be pretty consistent.

A quick google search did return some inductive clamp on type CANbus readers, but this is probably not a productive avenue to pursue unless you like to hack yourself. It would be an interesting experiment to tap into all the temperature sensors and see just what is heating up and how fast.

Like was mentioned above comparing cars at least at a high level should give a yes or no answer as to whether its only your car overheating when driven like this or any car that is driven like this.

I'm not really interested in going on a 2 car drive together honestly, nor letting anyone else drive my car. I will do a couple runs over the weekend though and bring back whatever data I can. Maybe others do the same and see just what sort of abuse it takes (total wh/mi used) to trigger heat soak and power reduction and how long that takes.
@wk057 or @Ingineer may have a solution for the 3 to pull logs and data. Can’t say for sure if his solution is warranty voiding though.

To clarify, I think the dots are caused by the low battery and colder weather, not a "detuning" by Tesla.
Cold weather or battery too full usually limits regen which are the dots on the left side. I am talking about the dots on the right side.Directly from the ownes manual page 43 and also told by service: Acceleration may be limited (the more dots the more limited) when the battery is reaching a low state of charge or if the powertrain is hot. Since I have never had a low state of charge it is about powertrain getting hot. And this is totally in line with my observations. Dots only appear when the car is pushed hard (i.e. a lot of power is drained from the battery in a shot period)

The reason I think it is de-tuning by Tesla is because the experience I have now is drastically different than just a few weeks ago. Same conditions, same outside temperature.
Why do you have such enormous usage? That looks like going full throttle up and down mountains.
In that picture, I was going full throttle for testing on mountain roads. But as I have said I now get the dots after just one launch on flat road from just 2 minutes of driving. Also the fan no longer goes on when I have the dots as it did before and the dots go away much slower than before.